The most overrated shows of the last decade

Not alone. Hype is one of many factors. But for this discussion, we're talking about hype, which puts other factors such as

Is the word hype being used in two different ways in this thread?

1 Hype: (v) to stimulate or excite

2 Hype: exaggerated publicity; hoopla.

DCP fanboi's claiming their 10th place corps is going to medal = 2

Audience members freaking out during Star Alumni performance at semis = 1

• Like 1

ok, i'm no holier-than-thou as I took the bait and posted my picks around page three, but is there any chance we could, you know, stop being RAMD and just try to appreciate the products for what they end up being instead of rehashing the same arguments we have around the middle of August every year?

People. Drum corps. Live. 36 days.

k thanks. *puts soapbox away*

this is hardly RAMD

• Like 2

A= the crowd hype

B= Phantom 08

C= overall performance increase

D= The win.

A+B=C , but based on you're statement you're saying A+B=D, and IMO, C=D.

If you apply your logic to 2010 BD, they should have lost based on LACK of hype alone.

Yes,

But there was also no "Cinderella" candidate in 2010. After semis in 2008, PR was like what, .3 behind BD? After the season of dominance BD had, people could feel the "upset" brewing. PR was 1.2 back on Thursday, and only .3 back on Friday. At that point, the anti-BD crowd could feel it. Had it been Crown, or Blue Coats who came within .3 after Friday night, they would have had the EXACT same crowd hype PR had. It didnt matter the corps, or the show.

Again, we all speak from our own experience so many will disagree and thats fine. But I saw the shows, and I spoke to so many people who "knew" the Cavaliers or Blue Devils were winning. PR was a non-factor. People werent even talking about them until Finals day.

Again, this was the 18-0 Undefeated, 14 point favorite "Patriots" against the underdog, 14-6 5th seed wildcard Giants who had to play all of their playoff games on the road. Everyone outside of the Boston area was rooting for the Giants to win just because they didnt want to see the Pats win.

• Like 1

Yes,

But there was also no "Cinderella" candidate in 2010. After semis in 2008, PR was like what, .3 behind BD? After the season of dominance BD had, people could feel the "upset" brewing. PR was 1.2 back on Thursday, and only .3 back on Friday. At that point, the anti-BD crowd could feel it. Had it been Crown, or Blue Coats who came within .3 after Friday night, they would have had the EXACT same crowd hype PR had. It didnt matter the corps, or the show.

Again, we all speak from our own experience so many will disagree and thats fine. But I saw the shows, and I spoke to so many people who "knew" the Cavaliers or Blue Devils were winning. PR was a non-factor. People werent even talking about them until Finals day.

Again, this was the 18-0 Undefeated, 14 point favorite "Patriots" against the underdog, 14-6 5th seed wildcard Giants who had to play all of their playoff games on the road. Everyone outside of the Boston area was rooting for the Giants to win just because they didnt want to see the Pats win.

This is very well stated. And PR supporters on DCP should NOT see any of these ABBD arguments as a slam at PR's winning nor their remarkable performance that night. But piling on occurs particularly when a dominant corps is within range. Another way to confirm this ABBD sentiment is to rerun the presentation of the various caption awards. I don't quite remember the order, but PR won the Disney Award early to raucous applaus, then BD won almost all the rest.....crickets....then the percussion award to PR and ear damage. It's just the way it is.

I'm not buying the hype about "hype" being the deciding factor in 08. I think we have some revisionist history going on here. I remember nothing, no hype, prior to finals week, about PR on DCP. Face it, where else is there ongoing discussion of drum corps but this forum? Quarterfinals was the first time that season I saw PR. Never heard about their show, never saw them previously to that night. They went on in fourth position (I think). Fourth ! At the end of the show I said to myself - wow, that's a show that could win it all. Based on hype?? Not at all, based on no preconceived notion at all. I've been in DC since the '70's - I've been there...done that. I saw this show as a championship contender. This is before the score announcement, and they were sitting in 4th place.

So...I don't buy the hype argument. PR won because they had the better show Saturday night...by a whisker. You don't want to give them credit for that, want to attribute it to some other factors.... whatever. Humans judge drum corps contests. Humans react to emotion. Emotion that came from a well designed show. Not from the ether.

DCP is a small amount of people and IMO never has represented majority. I also loved PR in 08. was it the best thing since sliced bread as some believe? No, but certainlynhad many elements of a great show and I believe peaked at the right time. Also lets face it everyone loves someone else other than the usual winner.

DCP is a small amount of people and IMO never has represented majority.

The drum corps community is a small amount of people. I think DCP probably does provide a fair representation of the whole. There are many and varied opinions shared here.

• Like 1

This is very well stated. And PR supporters on DCP should NOT see any of these ABBD arguments as a slam at PR's winning nor their remarkable performance that night. But piling on occurs particularly when a dominant corps is within range. Another way to confirm this ABBD sentiment is to rerun the presentation of the various caption awards. I don't quite remember the order, but PR won the Disney Award early to raucous applaus, then BD won almost all the rest.....crickets....then the percussion award to PR and ear damage. It's just the way it is.

Exactly. Thats my entire point.

And for others who still dont understand, my posts have ZERO to do with "why PR Won". This thread is about "hype". Not scores. PR won based on the #s and there is no argument with that. Its the hype surrounding the show that night that I am talking about and that most of the posts in this thread are talking about.

As always though, we have hundreds of Anti-BD posts tearing them apart, celebrating their "Demise" that year and typical bashing, but one slight hint that PR or another "fan favorite" might not have been the best show in history and we get "GASP! HOW DARE YOU SPEAK THAT WAY!". lol.

They keep on proving the point.

I'm not buying the hype about "hype" being the deciding factor in 08. I think we have some revisionist history going on here. I remember nothing, no hype, prior to finals week, about PR on DCP. Face it, where else is there ongoing discussion of drum corps but this forum? Quarterfinals was the first time that season I saw PR. Never heard about their show, never saw them previously to that night. They went on in fourth position (I think). Fourth ! At the end of the show I said to myself - wow, that's a show that could win it all. Based on hype?? Not at all, based on no preconceived notion at all...

Prior to finals week there wasn't too much hype about Phantom 08, you're right. After quarters that changed. After quarters the people around me starting talking about how great it would be to have another 1996 where Phantom came from nowhere. Mind you, Phantom then was in third and still nearly two points back. That's the hype. Where most people wanted only good drum corps from most of the rest of the corps the rest of the weekend, from Phantom many people were hoping for a miracle. They wanted it to happen. That's the hype. And it helped the performers/performance in my opinion. Not that the show/performace wasn't deserving. It was.

HH

• Like 1

The drum corps community is a small amount of people. I think DCP probably does provide a fair representation of the whole. There are many and varied opinions shared here.

You are right as far as drum corps itself being a small community and that there is a varied amount of opinions here but I dont think it's a representation of the drum corps community as a whole. Many people dont even know this forum exsists or ( for many reasons ) do not contribute here. Staffs and members are totally discouraged from posting or even visiting the site or many social networks for that matter.

I know of many corps as well as winter programs that discourage to the point of if members are caught indulging in the networks they run the risk of being put out. But I do agree there is a varied opinion here on MOST subjects.