The most overrated shows of the last decade

Wow, you really don't understand the relationship between performer and audiance ? MANY times I've seen a performing group feed off of the audiance and kick it up a notch only to have the crowd become more involved.

Thinking the audiance has NO impact on a performers performance and in turn their score is highly overrated.

Sorry to not argue, but we're in total agreement. In the scenario you just mentioned, the judges aren't rewarding audience opinion or response, they're rewarding the higher level of performance from the corps. Could the audience have inspired a better performance? Sure, but it is still the performance being judged, and that's different than saying a corps was rewarded for hype.

In all my decades of watching, listening and attending drum corps shows there has been very few, if any shows, that have inspired an audience into such a response. Call it all the 'over hype' you want, the audience felt it.....it wasn't hype it was success.

I agree...... :worthy:

It was simply incredible being there to see and hear it live.....

Wow, you really don't understand the relationship between performer and audiance ? MANY times I've seen a performing group feed off of the audiance and kick it up a notch only to have the crowd become more involved.

Thinking the audiance has NO impact on a performers performance and in turn their score is highly overrated.

That's totally NOT what he said,

he said the audience reaction doesn't effect the JUDGES, not the performers. Of course it effects performers.

My picks for overhype:

Madison 2010

Phantom 2008

The truth is these two corps tend to be over-hyped more than the rest. This thread seems to confirm as much. I think that reflects some of what I said above and the desire of many fans to shift the balance of power on many levels.

HH

So someone please tell me what the difference between a show being over-hyped and a show being incredibly well received (ie enjoyed immensely) because I would love to know what the difference is.

Let me take on Madison 2010.....the corps puts together a top notch staff....picks and designs (better than recent seasons) a show that is meant to engage and excite the crowd...and performs at a higher level than it had been doing for several seasons.

The fact that fans loved the show and were happy to see Madison present a much better product and execute at a higher level is over-hype ?

:blink:

• Like 3

So someone please tell me what the difference between a show being over-hyped and a show being incredibly well received (ie enjoyed immensely) because I would love to know what the difference is.

Let me take on Madison 2010.....the corps puts together a top notch staff....picks and designs (better than recent seasons) a show that is meant to engage and excite the crowd...and performs at a higher level than it had been doing for several seasons.

The fact that fans loved the show and were happy to see Madison present a much better product and execute at a higher level is over-hype ?

:blink:

As is said many, many times on DCP: haters gonna hate! (and no, I don't really believe that the people who think Madison 2010 was overhyped are haters, I just think it's a funny, over-used - dare I say over-hyped - phrase.)

It's just opinions, folks. One person's pick for over-hype is another's pick for best of the season, or most improved, or most entertaining, or whatever. That's just the way it's going to be.

That's totally NOT what he said,

he said the audience reaction doesn't effect the JUDGES, not the performers. Of course it effects performers.

I slighty disagree. ( not to argue ) BUT, judges are not machines, they are not perfect and once we did away with the tic system where you list actual errors, the judges personality and feeling DO come into effect and if a judge is NOT slightly swayed by the emotional response of the growd, ( esp THAT big ) it's time for them to so back to judging solo and ensemble for baton twirling.

You never know, one day I might be king and I'll make it a law. :cool:

Sorry to not argue, but we're in total agreement. In the scenario you just mentioned, the judges aren't rewarding audience opinion or response, they're rewarding the higher level of performance from the corps. Could the audience have inspired a better performance? Sure, but it is still the performance being judged, and that's different than saying a corps was rewarded for hype.

sorry, in New Orleans we are on river watch and bouncing back and forth from forums has my head spinning.

( i'm 800 feet from a levee thats leaking )

Didn't mean to come off THAT arrogant. :lookaround:

sorry

Nope, Phantom's performance made them a champion. As much as BD's made them such in the following two years.

Mike

Nope, what the judges marked on the sheets made them a champion. That's how we play this game, whether we love a show or not, or think that corps "A" performed better than corps "B," or that corps "C's" design was better than everyone else.

The corps have no control over the outcome. I know you know that... just saying.

sorry, in New Orleans we are on river watch and bouncing back and forth from forums has my head spinning.

( i'm 800 feet from a levee thats leaking )

Didn't mean to come off THAT arrogant. :lookaround:

sorry

No worries! :cool: