The most overrated shows of the last decade

Are we talking just in terms of scores? Or just general popularity?

For me, PR 2008 is the runaway winner of the overrated award. In both areas actually.

You ever hear people in sports who say their favorite team is "Whoever is playing the Yankees/Cowboys/Lakers"?

Notice how people in random places such as Wisconsin, Wyoming, Idaho, become HUGE fans of whoever is playing those teams even if they are not from their state?

I notice it all of the time because I am west coast guy living on the east coast. Most recently, the Philadelphia area swelled with Dallas fans while they were whooping my

LA Lakers butts in the playoffs. lol.

Thats exactly what Happened with PR in 2008. Everyone loves to hate the great teams, and recently, few are greater than the Devils.

Everyone just had that "ANYONE but Blue Devils" attitude and PR was the closest and best possibility. It wouldnt have mattered who was close to BD in prelims or Semis.

The Masses were not rooting FOR anyone, they were rooting AGAINST Blue Devils. Simple as that. A few weeks earlier when PR wasnt considered to be a "Favorite", I talked to

lots of people who thought their show was "Average". Suddenly at Finals weeks, they clearly had a solid shot and people jumped on board. It could have been Carolina Crown or Cavaliers, that took

a sudden jump and people would have jumped on that band wagon and people today would be talking about how "legendary" those shows were.

PR08 was very dirty visually, and resembled more of the recent High school band shows and Indoor Guard shows that I have seen over the last 10 years. Highly unoriginal, and with the exception of percussion, there wasnt amazing execution. In terms of technical content, they probably had the 4th or 5th most technical overall program. I would have had them 2nd in Brass, 1st in perc, and about 7th or 8th in Visual and Color Guard.

PR is responsible for my two favorite shows of all time so its funny that I always get accused of being a BD homer for my opinion of 08, but thats my thoughts! Im sure some people will respond telling me why 08 was so wonderful, but again, these are just my thoughts.

I have often been shouted down on these boards for saying such blasphemy as this. But you are spot on! In my view, ABBD was a major contributing factor to the legend of PR 08. Their show was an inspired rendering of perhaps the best "story" DC show ever put on the field, but your perceptions of PR's weaknesses, I feel, are accurate. BD dominated the captions. In the end, the crowd was going to have none of it...that is, the winner by the numbers.

Interestingly enough, the stage perhaps might be set for such a confrontation again in Indy this year, particularly if BD is as spectacular as I know they'll be!

• Like 1

Everyone just had that "ANYONE but Blue Devils" attitude and PR was the closest and best possibility. It wouldnt have mattered who was close to BD in prelims or Semis.

The Masses were not rooting FOR anyone, they were rooting AGAINST Blue Devils. Simple as that. A few weeks earlier when PR wasnt considered to be a "Favorite", I talked to

lots of people who thought their show was "Average". Suddenly at Finals weeks, they clearly had a solid shot and people jumped on board. It could have been Carolina Crown or Cavaliers, that took

a sudden jump and people would have jumped on that band wagon and people today would be talking about how "legendary" those shows were.

Before you publish your rewritten history....

'08 PR made numerous changes to their drill, auxiliary show and storyline in mid-late July that tipped the crowd-favorite scales in their favor. The folks I can vouch for, either from individual communication or just observing crowd response, were sold on this show back when PR was still grappling with Crown for 3rd/4th.

Cavaliers were the closest challenger to BD through all of tour and at quarterfinals, not to be caught by PR until semis....so if the crowd sentiment was simply "anyone but BD", Cavaliers would have been their favorite up until finals night.

• Like 4

I have often been shouted down on these boards for saying such blasphemy as this. But you are spot on! In my view, ABBD was a major contributing factor to the legend of PR 08. Their show was an inspired rendering of perhaps the best "story" DC show ever put on the field, but your perceptions of PR's weaknesses, I feel, are accurate. BD dominated the captions.

I don't see how 4th place in ensemble music, or 4th in percussion performance, are "dominating".

In the end, the crowd was going to have none of it...that is, the winner by the numbers.

Are you suggesting that the judges did not call it as they saw it?

I don't see how 4th place in ensemble music, or 4th in percussion performance, are "dominating".

We all have our favorites. It's no secret that Plan's favorite is the Blue Devils. It's all good.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that "ensemble music" was a caption?? :blink:

GE - BD

Visual - BD

Guard - BD

Brass - BD

Perc - PR

Disney Award - PR (non caption)

This is not that difficult to follow.

• Like 1

Before you publish your rewritten history....

'08 PR made numerous changes to their drill, auxiliary show and storyline in mid-late July that tipped the crowd-favorite scales in their favor. The folks I can vouch for, either from individual communication or just observing crowd response, were sold on this show back when PR was still grappling with Crown for 3rd/4th.

Cavaliers were the closest challenger to BD through all of tour and at quarterfinals, not to be caught by PR until semis....so if the crowd sentiment was simply "anyone but BD", Cavaliers would have been their favorite up until finals night.

I think it could be said that there was a definative moment last year (somewhere toward the end) when the mantle of ABBD shifted from Bloo to the Cavies. There appeared to be a sense that Cavies was positioned best to do it, so the crowd then appeared to drive the uber-love from Bloo to the Cavies. Just my view. But if you don't think ABBD exists (and in some cases hyper-ABBD), your not paying attention.

• Like 2

Are we talking just in terms of scores? Or just general popularity?

For me, PR 2008 is the runaway winner of the overrated award. In both areas actually.

You ever hear people in sports who say their favorite team is "Whoever is playing the Yankees/Cowboys/Lakers"?

Notice how people in random places such as Wisconsin, Wyoming, Idaho, become HUGE fans of whoever is playing those teams even if they are not from their state?

I notice it all of the time because I am west coast guy living on the east coast. Most recently, the Philadelphia area swelled with Dallas fans while they were whooping my

LA Lakers butts in the playoffs. lol.

Thats exactly what Happened with PR in 2008. Everyone loves to hate the great teams, and recently, few are greater than the Devils.

PR08 was very dirty visually, and resembled more of the recent High school band shows and Indoor Guard shows that I have seen over the last 10 years. Highly unoriginal, and with the exception of percussion, there wasnt amazing execution. In terms of technical content, they probably had the 4th or 5th most technical overall program. I would have had them 2nd in Brass, 1st in perc, and about 7th or 8th in Visual and Color Guard.

PR is responsible for my two favorite shows of all time so its funny that I always get accused of being a BD homer for my opinion of 08, but thats my thoughts! Im sure some people will respond telling me why 08 was so wonderful, but again, these are just my thoughts.

The last two paragraphs are your opinion, and I can understand where you're coming from there. The rest of your post is nonsense. Phantom Regiment 08 is so immensely popular because of the emotional connection the corps made with the audience. This connection was most intense towards the end of the season, but they received intense reactions for most of the summer. Despite its technical weaknesses it was a stunningly effective show, which is why fans (and maybe judges) have elevated to such an exaggerated height.

With a few exceptions the tiresome ABBD bogeyman had little to do with it. Few people who knew anything about DCI really expected Phantom to win on finals night. They cheered the show because they liked it. Hard to believe, but true. And then awards came and it was revealed that the audience favorite had done the impossible and knocked the 1st place corps from semis. Would have been the same reaction no matter who had been in that 1st place spot the night before, be it BD, Cavies, Cadets, etc.

• Like 4

I think it could be said that there was a definative moment last year (somewhere toward the end) when the mantle of ABBD shifted from Bloo to the Cavies. There appeared to be a sense that Cavies was positioned best to do it, so the crowd then appeared to drive the uber-love from Bloo to the Cavies. Just my view. But if you don't think ABBD exists (and in some cases hyper-ABBD), your not paying attention.

That settles it, then. I think ABBD is more overrated than any show of the past decade.

• Like 2