PR's repertoire

As I was reading along in this thread i'm happy to know that I wasn't the only one jumping up and down, screaming with all the might that I had stored up from a hard day of class. I am pleased that they are playing Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral. :thumbup:

Can't wait till I see it this summer! (and I have a friend marching in the contra line!)

I just hope the entire corps is in uniforms - I mostly liked their show last year but the trumpet player in the WGI Jammies was a terrible idea. I felt really bad for that young man who had to wear that "costume" all season long. He was so freaking good but I just wanted to avert my gaze and NOT look at him at all.

There was a point behind it all, and it made perfect sense. Especially with the whole "spirit guide" thing they were doing. And musically, it did make him easier to spot. And at the big climax in the closer, when he was the front point of the chevron, having him in the different uniform really helped drive home the point. If he had been in a standard uniform, he would have been lost in the corps proper, and the effect would have been diminished. Just my thoughts on the subject, and I can't wait for their show this year. This repertoire is just amazing!

So far we've got amazing shows coming from Regiment, SCV, Cadets, Madison, I can't wait to see what everyone else has up their sleeves for this year.

• Like 6

In my head I've already assumed it'll be full 1979/Encore version of Elsa's (different arrangement of course). In fact in my head I've already got it as the closer!

However, what if they use it in a similar way to how BD used La Suerte last year i.e. no more than a nod towards the original...?

That would break a few hearts, mine included. :sad:

• Like 1

Classic! As is the REGIMENT.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My girlfriend and I attended their brass camp last night in Algonquin, IL, and were very impressed, indeed...

We got their around 6:30, just as they were coming back from dinner break. They started in a block and were led in a rather complicated ballet-style routine by a young woman who we assumed to be their movement coach. Obviously, it was easy to spot the vets, but most of the kids caught on quickly, although a few clearly had problems getting out of their own heads and letting their bodies loosen up and relax.

Eventually, they arc'ed up ran through a quick warm-up. As is the Regiment's wont, they're an incredibly lower brass-oriented hornline (15 contras, 30 baris and euphs), but at the risk of sounding like Mr. "Bath In Chocolate," they sounded insanely sublime, even with the volume limit imposed upon them by the brass staff. They got to "8 air," and ended with the beloved Chorale, and my girlfriend literally had tears running down her cheeks. Despite my long association with Devs, she became an unabashed Phan after I introduced her to drum corps the year Spartacus won it all.

They ran through the opening 1:45 of the show, which consists musically of Mozart's Requiem blending into East of Eden. Most people here have forgotten more about drill than I've ever learned, but it seems they've come to compete this year.

They brought it in around 10pm, and were told by who we believe to be the Director that he acknowledges that many of the kids are beginning to get anxious over whether or not they're going to be marching in June. He said whether or not they knew it, the staff has been doing this for a long time, and have been watching them quite closely, seeing how they react to different situations and conditions. He mentioned that obviously, some of the kids were better at it than others, but that they would shortly let them know whether they were "were they needed to be."

However, just before bringing them in, my girlfriend overheard another staff member approach the older staff members and ask them whether or not he was supposed to let a few of the kids know that they should pack it in and head home, so clearly, PR is close to finalizing their roster. We both found this kind of heartbreaking, given that back in 1980, I walked into Devs (who'd already won DCI multiple times) at age 14 and was given a cymbal spot. I realize that times have changed and the activity has become more competitive than I could ever imagine, but still, I hate to think of the time, money and effort these kids put into trying to crack a Top 12 corps. :::sigh:::

In any event, we both left impressed, and I remain convinced that as good as we were in 1986, I seriously doubt whether or not I could have cut it in drum corps as it is today.

Sorry for the verbosity, but since we will not record rehearsals, this was the best I could do to convey what we clearly enjoyed last night.

Cheers!

• Like 1

They ran through the opening 1:45 of the show, which consists musically of Mozart's Requiem blending into East of Eden. Most people here have forgotten more about drill than I've ever learned, but it seems they've come to compete this year.

It wouldn't be like phantom if they didn't come to compete every year! Wow, you said that they are blending Mozart's Requiem with East of Eden for their opener? I always pictured East of Eden as a stand alone ballad... I'm interested on how they managed to make it work! That piece is absolutely beautiful!

As soon as I the repetoire I thought, "I will have to buy closer tickets at World Finals."

Can't say I'm a "fan" of the WGI stuff, but I thought how Regiment signled him out visually and musically worked VERY well with that show.

Agreed. It'll be interesting to see you guys reaction in a few years when uniforms start to become an "old" tradition. DCI is headed down the path of full-out Broadway musical productions on a football field. I wouldn't be surprised if more corps started costuming more than just the guard and pit.