Almost 40 years of changes at DCI, what do you think are the best 3

I wonder why people keep minusing you? This wasn't a particularly polarizing comment. ...and it has merit. tongue.gifrolleyes.gif

Well, I tend to want to THINK rather than be a lemming. Besides, why would I want a perfectly good musical education go to waste listening to nonsense? LOL

• Like 1

Well, I tend to want to THINK rather than be a lemming. Besides, why would I want a perfectly good musical education go to waste listening to nonsense? LOL

Agreed. Thinking rather than repeating what you've heard elsewhere is good. Ok, I just gotta ignore those ratings around here. They make no sense. tongue.gif

Pounding on the bars in any venue is bad for the instrument and your hands. You make minor changes, sure, but most outdoor venues are going to give 10 non directional mallet instruments a major disadvantage against 60-70 directional brass instruments. Yes, there are times when its not balanced well, but that's part of the evolution. The fact is, a lot of people only want to hear the front when the brass isn't playing, or are playing quietly, and that's not a very musical way of approaching it. Either it is supposed to be a part of the mix, or it isn't. Modern front ensemble writing is not the same as it was 20 years ago. It is much more layered, and supportive of what is going on in the brass book, and as a result, you get new parts that should be heard. Should it take over? No, but I don't think anyone really has that in mind. You could hear front ensembles well 20 years ago because a lot of times there were 12 people all playing the same thing as loud as possible to be heard. Now, each mallet player might have one or two people sharing his part. That's a pretty significant amount of sound to compete with. If we were still playing the same books that we were playing 20 years ago, you'd have an argument, but amplification has allowed the front ensemble to grow and become an important part of the music, not just an accompaniment to the brass. And really? Horn lines were louder before amplification? Are you sure you aren't going deaf?

So you don't pound the bars in any way to produce sound? I agree...if it was actually layered and supportive rather than DOMINATING I would support your contention. I agree to a fine point, now there are 12 people and a synth player pounding away and louder than ever. Nope, I hear very well thank you...well I think I still do after the finger cymbals and synth crushed my eardrums. :satisfied:

• Like 3

So you don't pound the bars in any way to produce sound? I agree...if it was actually layered and supportive rather than DOMINATING I would support your contention. I agree to a fine point, now there are 12 people and a synth player pounding away and louder than ever. Nope, I hear very well thank you...well I think I still do after the finger cymbals and synth crushed my eardrums. :satisfied:

There will be some people in drum corps who hate things for what they are. No woodwinds because of the fact they are woodwinds, hating electronics just for fact that there is an electric current through them, not liking something just "because" it "is". You can't change their minds about those issues.

What I have noticed on DCP is that a HUGE majority of people who hate "electronics", "synths" or "mics" hate the fact that its not in balance. And I totally think that balance should be the TOP priority if you are using instruments that can be manipulated volume wise remotely from the performer. That has to be the absolute priority and I think this is something that both sides of the argument can agree with.

The disagreement is then how to solve the balance issue, and some say to just hack it (which is something I don't agree with) and others think that people need to be more knowledgeable about the corps balance/electronic balance. Using the right patches on the synth, getting all the levels right in the pit. Making sure that if they are using electronics that they are using ALL the right tools and equipment. You can't half-### something like electronics, when its done correctly I think it can be very effective when its done even just slightly below standard, its terrible. The electronics are indeed a huge challenge for drum corps since its so new but I firmly believe that if corps invested more time into doing it correctly more often, the pay off can be very good.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 2

Agreed. Thinking rather than repeating what you've heard elsewhere is good. Ok, I just gotta ignore those ratings around here. They make no sense. tongue.gif

Agreed.

There will be some people in drum corps who hate things for what they are. No woodwinds because of the fact they are woodwinds, hating electronics just for fact that there is an electric current through them, not liking something just "because" it "is". You can't change there minds about those issues.

What I have noticed on DCP is that a HUGE majority of people who hate "electronics", "synths" or "mics" hate the fact that its not in balance. And I totally think that balance should be the TOP priority if you are using instruments that can be manipulated volume wise remotely from the performer. That has to be the absolute priority and I think this is something that both sides of the argument can agree with.

The disagreement is then how to solve the balance issue, and some say to just hack it (which is not something I don't agree with) and others think that people need to more knowledgeable about the corps balance/electronic balance. Using the right patches on the synth, getting all the levels right in the pit. Making sure that if they are using electronics that they are using ALL the right tools and equipment. You can't half-### something like electronics, when its done correctly I think it can be very effective when its done even just slightly below standard, its terrible. The electronics are indeed a huge challenge for drum corps since its so knew but I firmly believe that if corps invested more time into doing it correctly more often, the pay off can be very good.

I don't hate electronics because they're electronics... I don't care for the way they change the sound of a brass and percussion ensemble. They also sound artificial. They do not mimic the original instruments well enough yet. I know they have gotten better, but it's just ruined the characteristic sound of the ensemble for me. I love the players though!

For me balance is also an issue, but that's with the whole pit.

There will be some people in drum corps who hate things for what they are. No woodwinds because of the fact they are woodwinds, hating electronics just for fact that there is an electric current through them, not liking something just "because" it "is". You can't change there minds about those issues.

The disagreement is then how to solve the balance issue, and some say to just hack it (which is not something I don't agree with) and others think that people need to more knowledgeable about the corps balance/electronic balance. Using the right patches on the synth, getting all the levels right in the pit. Making sure that if they are using electronics that they are using ALL the right tools and equipment. You can't half-### something like electronics, when its done correctly I think it can be very effective when its done even just slightly below standard, its terrible. The electronics are indeed a huge challenge for drum corps since its so knew but I firmly believe that if corps invested more time into doing it correctly more often, the pay off can be very good.

I couldn't agree more. The problem is simply the monster that it is. One thing like electronics can make a wonderful show into a meh or eww... show in a heartbeat. Reminds me of people advocating Communism back in the day...we just need to add one more thing and it'll all be better......

I couldn't agree more. The problem is simply the monster that it is. One thing like electronics can make a wonderful show into a meh or eww... show in a heartbeat. Reminds me of people advocating Communism back in the day...we just need to add one more thing and it'll all be better......

:rolleyes:

I don't hate electronics because they're electronics... I don't care for the way they change the sound of a brass and percussion ensemble. They also sound artificial. They do not mimic the original instruments well enough yet. I know they have gotten better, but it's just ruined the characteristic sound of the ensemble for me. I love the players though!

For me balance is also an issue, but that's with the whole pit.

IMO, even WITH the electronics, there are some things in the pit you can barely hear. I'm actually glad they're using electronics to amplify the pit. There are quite a few years where I hear some great pit parts during some corps' rehearsals, but during the show or on a recording, you can barely hear them.

• Like 2

If I read this correctly, you are contending that the Internet lends credibility (false or otherwise) to what people post on it?

(suppresses laughter)

If you don't believe it check wikipedia.... :devil:

Same credibility as when my college town went to computerized billing BITD. My ex-roomie had a bill that showed he called Montana 23 times every two minutes. Kicker was each call was 20 minutes long. Ma Bell threatened to take him to court for non-payment as the bill had to be correct "because that's what the computer says".

The true irony is when people can't realize they are just as guilty of "agenda pushing" as the people they complain about.

Edited by JimF-LowBari