So far, I'm not really liking 2011

While we're at it, I'm not a fan of 2015 either. Pretty unimpressive season all around :tongue:

well...there's part of the problem. Almost April and 12 corps have no announced anything. Tickets are going on sale now....and people don't want to spend the $$ then be unhappy. You used to be able to read DCW in january, see what a corps was playing and be waiting by the mailbox for the flyer to come in the mail. I can see why people may not be enthused at this late date.

yes I know licensing plays a part now and may slow things up. but in the last 5/6 years, it's gotten ridiculous how long corps wait to announce the show.

I agree. I think existing drum corps fans probably have an idea of what to expect from a show; i.e. I don't think too many people make their ticket-purchasing decisions based purely on the repertoire that year. I imagine more practical concerns like scheduling, $$$, etc are what come into play.

However, as a strategy to draw in new fans, it would work a lot better if you could tell people "hey, come to this show and you'll get to hear corps play x, y, and z", rather than "hey, come to this show and you'll get to hear corps play.... something!".

• Like 4

Isn't a tad too early to make a call on how you like or dislike the season? Just sayin... I will wait till the corps hit the field at shows before I decide how I like the season and even still mid July will probably be when I really make a decision.

well...there's part of the problem. Almost April and 12 corps have no announced anything. Tickets are going on sale now....and people don't want to spend the $$ then be unhappy. You used to be able to read DCW in january, see what a corps was playing and be waiting by the mailbox for the flyer to come in the mail. I can see why people may not be enthused at this late date.

yes I know licensing plays a part now and may slow things up. but in the last 5/6 years, it's gotten ridiculous how long corps wait to announce the show.

I can see why people may not be enthused about this season too. I mean, with not a lot of information from corps what's to be "enthused" about? However, that is different than saying "I'm not liking the 2011 season". Maybe the OP doesn't like it because of how slow information is coming out of the corps in this off season, but he cannot possibly "not like it" based on the limited information that is released. It's like reading the titles of 1/2 of Steven Spielberg's movies and judging whether or not he is overall a good director based on that alone.

I wish that all corps would give more info on their show in the off season, but you can't write off an entire season because of the lack of information.

but in the OP's defense he did say "so far" which leads me to believe that upon receiving more information from drum corps that have given little to NO information he can change his mind. Based on his post I think he thinks all the shows are going to be about vampires and angels... :tongue:

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 2

Other than one or two shows that have made me raise an eyebrow, I have yet to really see a show that has me wanting to drop $120 for tickets to take my family to see a drum corps show this season. You would figure that since the economy is in the crapper, and because people will be spending less money going to shows, that the designers/corps could figure out a way to market themselves a little better. Wait a minute, this is drum corps, everything has to be dark and evil.

Never mind, carry on.

I have to say I am with you on the designers/corps needing to market themselves better, just the activity in general. This has really been a lost off season for DCI World Class Drum and Bugle Corps, next week it will be April- May,June,July -August. Done. It blows my mind that all these Corps have done nothing (marketing wise) for the activity, NOTHING! Something has to change, and personally I think it is going to have to come from the top, in the real world people would be losing jobs, maybe it is time to get rid of some of the- good ole boys - that have been sucking Drum Corps to the place it is these days(buisness wise, the kids on the field blow me away every year, thank god for that part of our activity). Sorry to be the one to say it but it may be time for a change at the top of the Drum and Bugle Corps activity for alot of people, and from what I see these days there are alot of people looking for jobs. I think it may just be time.

• Like 3

And you can make this determination in March when only a small handful of corps have even announced their show, let alone put up a sample of their music?

Wow! You're really good!

(/sarcasm)

Edit: Awe heck, I'll just take your lead and sell my 50 yard line seats now. Any takers?

(really /sarcasm)

I will buy your tickets and not even use them, that is how disgusted i am at the shows being put out this year.

When i heard that Devils were playing.......... and Phantom were playing.... er..... especially when i head Crown have decided to ...... Anyway i just Know its not going to be worth it based on the lack of information i have.tongue.gif

• Like 1

The one with the Beaver that Ward is so hard on ?

If only I could "Green" this more than once! :thumbup:

• Like 1

Isn't a tad too early to make a call on how you like or dislike the season?

Yes. Otherwise, it'd be like deciding if you like a new restaurant or not thats opened up in town, not by dining there, but based upon a brochure you got in the mail. And to keep the analogy going, in this case, the chef hasn't even ordered the groceries yet, let alone hired the waiters, opened the doors, and and sent out the flyers.

Edited by BRASSO

well...there's part of the problem. Almost April and 12 corps have no announced anything. Tickets are going on sale now....and people don't want to spend the $ then be unhappy. You used to be able to read DCW in january, see what a corps was playing and be waiting by the mailbox for the flyer to come in the mail. I can see why people may not be enthused at this late date.

Yep. And while some of it certainly is licensing, for some reason many drum corps have this idea that secrecy is this great idea. Show announcements, uniforms, rehearsals, etc.

Hell, in many ways things have gone backwards. I remember when the fan network first came out many corps were putting out updates at least every month, and then when everydays got here there were frequent updates. Now you go on there, and aside from a couple corps most are providing little if anything to that site.

• Like 1

Yes. Otherwise, it'd be like deciding if you like a new restaurant or not thats opened up in town, not by dining there, but based upon a brochure you got in the mail. And to keep the analogy going, in this case, the chef hasn't even ordered the groceries yet, let alone hired the waiters, opened the doors, and and sent out the flyers.

Yeah, but if the restaurant is mexican food and you dont like mexican food, that is plenty enough to decide you dont like it.

• Like 1

Ladies and Gentlemen, Exhibit A in the "worst change in drum corps" thread: the internet. Here's someone who has seen zero performances from a drum corps season that is 2.5/3 months away from even beginning. There have been very few public recordings from corps camps released, and roughly HALF of the WC corps have made zero announcement regarding their show theme and/or rep. There have certainly been zero videos showing visual design.

Yet here we have someone astute enough to already form an opinion, good or bad, about show designs for the upcoming season.

Absolutely amazing... :rolleyes:

Bingo.

• Like 1