Will non TOC corps get a fair shake at Finals?

Oh no. Now we have DoD jargon invading DCP. The END is NEAR !!

As for your thesis that operational tempo is what separates the top from the middle of the pack, I'll agree that's it's a component of the difference. But I think you're overlooking a lot of other things.

If you mean things like money, staff talent etc. Then what you are overlooking is that excuses are the things that people who do not get what they want out of whatever they are doing say...

• Like 1

If you mean things like money, staff talent etc. Then what you are overlooking is that excuses are the things that people who do not get what they want out of whatever they are doing say...

Your're not going to win the Indy 500 with your 1969 VW Beetle + $500 + Joe the Plumber -- no matter what your operational tempo. Put that in your M252 and fire for effect :ph34r:

• Like 1

Your're not going to win the Indy 500 with your 1969 VW Beetle + $500 + Joe the Plumber -- no matter what your operational tempo. Put that in your M252 and fire for effect :ph34r:

Well thank goodness that there are NO corps out there operating that poorly anymore! Or are you suggesting that there are? Comparing a group of kids on a field with teachers and instruments probably made this decade to your rather poor comparison is kind of well...

I will rephrase... Since the example you use is so out of line with reality that it cannot be considered, I will say that excuses are like ###()O)35, everyone has one and they all pretty much stink!

• Like 1

Well thank goodness that there are NO corps out there operating that poorly anymore! Or are you suggesting that there are? Comparing a group of kids on a field with teachers and instruments probably made this decade to your rather poor comparison is kind of well...

If your theory is right, you could make millions teaching 'operational tempo' to all those middle of the pack competitors (in every field) to become instant champions. In fact the rest of the pentagon could apparently use some of your guidance as well because it's a cesspool of bureaucratic inefficiency. jimlad.gif

I'm not dismissing optempo -- it's just not close to being the entire answer.

B) How can there be slotting or competitive advantage in the off-season when there is no competition?

It's a fair question. There has been speculation in some quarters that the announced TOC Corps within the World Class Division might get an advantage in the off season talent pool quality and number levels that World Class Corps bring to their off season camps.. The thinking is that if a marcher can't decide between 2 Corps, the tipping point might be that one of the Corps was selected for the TOC and the other is not. Again, this is speculation. Nothing else. It may have some legs to it. It may not. We'll never really know. But some do think it might have given the TOC Corps an edge this offseason. But maybe that's just not the case at all,.. who knows.

Edited by BRASSO

Pretty much here is how it shakes down. If all of the corps get to Finals, and a non-TOC corps has had a better season, and has been scoring higher over the course of the season, then they will score higher at Finals. It's just the way it is. No judge is going to blatantly drop a corps down just to preserve the perceived slotting everyone seems to see. And if a non-TOC corps tops a TOC corps, then that corps will join the TOC next year. It's the previous year's top 8, not who's going to be the Top 8 for this year. At one time or another, I'm pretty sure most of the bubble corps like Madison and Boston have beaten almost every TOC corps at some point in their history. (I think Boston has beaten everyone except for BD and Cavies, right?) That means that theoretically they could do it again. But if the Top 8 perform with the consistency they have through the years of their history, then it might not happen. When the current top 8 hold all but 4 of the total DCI trophies, you have to think they might be doing something better than the rest, and I'm pretty sure you'll find it's called CONSISTENCY. consistently performing the best, with the most stable staff, and the most stable leadership, then they'll perform consistently near the top.

Remember guys, this is DCI. There's no big conspiracy going on. It's just marching music, not the inner workings of the federal government. If someone outperforms someone else, they will get scored for it.

• Like 1

Remember guys, this is DCI. There's no big conspiracy going on.

Not a single poster on this thread has said that there's a " big conspiracy going on " in DCI. But thanks for pointing this out anyway.

Edited by BRASSO

Not a single poster on this thread has said that there's a " big conspiracy going on " in DCI. But thanks for pointing this out anyway.

It always does. I would put it another way, DCI makes rules to be used for the perception of moving the activity forward. Those that are PERCEIVED at moving the activity forward will get credit for that in the way of a score. Actually, that was paraphrased from M Cesario.

Quite honestly, IMHO, learning 7-9 minutes (or less) of played horn music, can be done with about any reasonable talent level (with good instruction of course). The fact some think they need the top .01% of the best players to pull that off..is at best misguided to say the least. Quite honestly most ALL the music is written so far under the talent level that is present in today's corps horn lines as to wonder WHY?

Edited by Mello Dude

Pretty much here is how it shakes down. If all of the corps get to Finals, and a non-TOC corps has had a better season, and has been scoring higher over the course of the season, then they will score higher at Finals. It's just the way it is. No judge is going to blatantly drop a corps down just to preserve the perceived slotting everyone seems to see.

Hm. Interesting. And from what set of scores do you draw this conclusion?

Having seen the following happen several times over the last 20 years, I think you may just be talking from opinion:

2002: Cascades

Pre quarters scores in the 85 range

Quarters score 86.9

Semis score 85.9

Finals score 84.05

2003: Spirit of Atlanta

pre quarters scores in the 85 range

Quarters 85.5

Semis 85.2

Finals 84.4

2004: Glassmen

pre quarters scores in the 87 range

Quarters 86.5

Semis 86.3

Finals 85.9

2005: Spirit

a year where the numbers don't follow the above trend - woo!!!

show before quarters in 85 range, finals 86.075, all scores upward trend between

2006: Spirit

pre quarters 85.4

Quarters 86.5

Semis 85.2

Finals 84.8

I need to stop now since the daughter is up and ready to make breakfast with me. If someone wants to continue the research, feel free. Corpsreps.com is very useful.

I just think it's important that people see the typical way that things happen in the "bottom" tier of the top 12. It's not bad, necessarily, but there IS a practice of "leaving room" for the top. Does this mean the outcome is wrong? Not necessarily.