Is the end of drum corps near?

The end of drum corps always seems to be near.

A major effort should be placed on securing corporate sponsorship to help cover costs to be able to lower ticket prices and to create family ticket plans. This could dramatically boost attendance for new attendees that have a casual interest in the activity and with family options... lifelong fans are more easily developed.

This WILL NOT HAPPEN without corporate sponsorship. Drum corps CANNOT GROW without corporate sponsorship.

This may only happen if that corporation is run by a Bill Cook type. Bill was generous because he loved the activity. His only return was seeing those he assisted continue or get over a tough period. There are many corporations/individuals who easily could afford supporting DCI, but they couldn't be botherd or feel they wouldn't get a "return" for their investment. Marketing their product is the bottom line and I would not want to see a corps looking like a NASCAR sprint cup car. Currently, the manufacturers of musical instuments/clothing/accessories is not enough. Because of fewer corps, there are fewer alumni to chip in, but that's another topic for another time.

This may only happen if that corporation is run by a Bill Cook type. Bill was generous because he loved the activity. His only return was seeing those he assisted continue or get over a tough period. There are many corporations/individuals who easily could afford supporting DCI, but they couldn't be botherd or feel they wouldn't get a "return" for their investment. Marketing their product is the bottom line and I would not want to see a corps looking like a NASCAR sprint cup car. Currently, the manufacturers of musical instuments/clothing/accessories is not enough. Because of fewer corps, there are fewer alumni to chip in, but that's another topic for another time.

You may want to also consider how many corporations are going to chip in to support an activity that seems to cater to mostly middle-upper class kids and leaving inner cities without means yet again (this was not the case some 30 years ago). It's a tough sell job to be sure.

Arts programs were being cut back decades ago. The late 70's was a big era of cutbacks here in NJ. They are always kind of on the edge, sad to say, as being seen as an 'extra' in many places. Whenever the economy goes bust, and districts look to cut back, they look at art and music first. It takes vigilant parents within a district to fight that perception.

Good points, Mike. I remember those 1970s-era cutbacks in NJ quite well.

According to a number of folks, the Rapture is supposed to happen on May 21 of this year.

The Mayan calendar says the world will end in December, 2012.

And we're worried about drum corps? :ph34r:

When Gabriel starts warming up his horn, I gotta figure he ain't fixin' to join a drum corps. :tongue:

• Like 1

According to a number of folks, the Rapture is supposed to happen on May 21 of this year.

When Gabriel starts warming up his horn, I gotta figure he ain't fixin' to join a drum corps. :tongue:

The mesoamerican calendar doesn't state the the world will end; it just means the current calendar runs out and there is a new beginning. The Mayans NEVER predicted Doomsday. As for the Rapture; that's been predicted for hundreds of dates over the past 2000 years. And thus far, those people who think they've figured out God have been as wrong as those who have insisted since BEFORE the creation of DCI that drum corps was going to end soon.

• Like 1

Talk about incentive to put the fan favorite on last (at finals wait no...) (as exhibition maybe) in 2012!

Edited by Impuls!vebari

The mesoamerican calendar doesn't state the the world will end; it just means the current calendar runs out and there is a new beginning. The Mayans NEVER predicted Doomsday.

Whew! Glad to hear this! I was just about to begin running up my credit cards...

• Like 2

As for the Rapture; that's been predicted for hundreds of dates over the past 2000 years. And thus far, those people who think they've figured out God have been as wrong as those who have insisted since BEFORE the creation of DCI that drum corps was going to end soon.

Ya sure it hasn't already happened and we're the stinkers who weren't yanked.

Sorry just had a flashback of "South Parks" version of the afterlife with the conversation:

"Wait I'm Catholic, why am I in Hell"

"Sorry you guessed wrong"

"But I'm Baptist"

"Wrong"

"Jewish?"

"Nope"

"Ahhhh so who's right"

"Mormons"

My former minister would have had a fit, but just thought it funny as.. well Hell considering peopels attitudes.

OK, back on topic: 25 or so years ago the Alumni corps movement started, 15 or so it was the Minis. What will be the next Drum Corps grouping?

The mesoamerican calendar doesn't state the the world will end; it just means drum corps will begin using electronics and amplification on an activity-wide basis.

It means the current calendar runs out and there is a new beginning ...kind of like a 2011 wall calendar; 2011 ends, and 2012, AKA "a new beginning," happens.

The Mayans NEVER predicted that seven top corps would cobble together a hopelessly flawed, poorly written PowerPoint presentation aimed at ending the concept of "drum corps" as we have come to know it.

As for someone other than the Blue Devils winning a DCI World Class championship, that's been predicted for dozens of corps over the past 2000 years.

And thus far, those people who think they've figured out the way to beat the Blue Devils have been as wrong as those who have insisted since BEFORE the creation of DCI that the Freemasons control the world, when we all know that the Trilateral Commission is really the one in charge of everything.

Edited for accuracy. :lol:

• Like 1