The Chase Big Idea "compare and contrast" thread

I actually voted for YEA because I like what they are doing for the HS music circuit a lot better than what they are doing for drum corps, and this was for HS music.

And that's another thing, at least locally, I don't like what they are doing with USSBA. And there are more affordable, and more constructive circuits for HS marching bands in this area. Not as nationally known as USSBA, and they don't offer that huge show at a top notch stadium, but they are much more accessible to the majority of marching bands in this area of the country. And they aren't "everyone wins a trophy" which is half the problem of society... :tongue: but I digress.

And that's another thing, at least locally, I don't like what they are doing with USSBA. And there are more affordable, and more constructive circuits for HS marching bands in this area. Not as nationally known as USSBA, and they don't offer that huge show at a top notch stadium, but they are much more accessible to the majority of marching bands in this area of the country. And they aren't "everyone wins a trophy" which is half the problem of society... :tongue: but I digress.

But the money isn't for USSBA either, it's to establish a stand-alone event called March 4 Music which will give school districts the tools to raise money for themselves via a "march-a-thon" kind of event.

that's nice that your city is bankrupt. However, the legal definition of bankrupt in the U.S. is very different from the reality of bankrupt in the poor places of the world.

And how does that help the local kids in need? Still waiting for an answer.... If you want to tell people there how well off they are please go to 13th and Market... :shutup:

Psst.... this isn't a "morally superior" response either... Still waiting for that answer too. US and world wide there are people in need, why turn it into a "Who has it worse" thing that doesn't help at all?

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

But the money isn't for USSBA either, it's to establish a stand-alone event called March 4 Music which will give school districts the tools to raise money for themselves via a "march-a-thon" kind of event.

All you need is a field or a parking lot and a brain and you can make money on a marchathon

• Like 1

I haven't liked Blue Devils shows the past 4 years for various reasons. But, I know they are a great organization and the kids work hard. I voted for Blue Devils and I hope I love their show this year.

I also voted for SCV, Glassmen , DCI and of course YEA.

All of our drum corps need your support! We have a first place group that is creating Face Book pages for their pets for votes!

SO, PLEASE VOTE! ONLY TWO DAYS LEFT! Vote Here!

Back to self imposed ban of DCP.

Edited by boxingfred

Something has been nagging me about this stage of the campaign.

It sounds great, but how? Isn't this what they've been trying to do for the past umpteen decades? What will they be doing differently with the $500 grand?

Why is there a demand that a charity do something "different" with the money?

Then I read this:

Please note that this contest is not winner take all. There are awards all the way down to 25th place and a few special awards as well.

Good point. It seems that this "big idea" is the focus in pursuit of the big prize. But what happens if you get 2nd prize....or 3rd....or 100th? Is a charity required to use the money only for their "big idea"? Apparently not - the rules of the Chase contest only require the 1st-place vote winner in this round to apply their donation to their submitted "big idea".

For instance....

If I may, I would like to encourage a vote for the Blue Devils if you have not already done so. In this case the funding will be designated for the One Music One World program to provide outreach and mentorship and is outside the general funding of the corps. If you have not seen the wonderful work that is going on with the Field Band Foundation I encourage you to seek them out and other organizations like them.

This is a "big idea" that requires big money to complete.

1. Say the Blue Devils place 26th-100th, and get no more than the $25,000 they already qualified for in the first round. Will that $25,000 be used for the "big idea" listed above, or just applied against general operating expenses?

2. Say the Blue Devils place 16th, and thus only earn another $20,000 in the "big idea" round. Will any of the $45,000 total winnings be used for the "big idea" listed above, or will it just be applied against general expenses?

Well, then, let me ask the same question I asked above. This is another "big idea" that requires big money. If YEA! doesn't win #1 spot, will they still apply smaller winnings to this march-a-thon, or will they put the money into general funding for existing YEA! programs?

One of the most popular videos Cadets posted on their facebook yesterday with their drumline playing had a direct link to the Pet Finder voting page. I hope they didn't lose any votes accidentally that way if anyone was quick to hit "Vote"

I voted but I stopped "Liking" the Cadets page. It's extremely annoying right now.

• Like 1

I voted but I stopped "Liking" the Cadets page. It's extremely annoying right now.

Me too - it's getting obnoxious at this point. :blink:

• Like 1

I haven't liked Blue Devils shows the past 4 years for various reasons. But, I know they are a great organization and the kids work hard. I voted for Blue Devils and I hope I love their show this year.

I also voted for SCV, Glassmen , DCI and of course YEA.

All of our drum corps need your support! We have a first place group that is creating Face Book pages for their pets for votes!

SO, PLEASE VOTE! ONLY TWO DAYS LEFT! Vote Here!

Back to self imposed ban of DCP.

Well said.

I am a huge fan of the Blue Devils shows. I'm also a fan of the Cadets corps although not so much on the show "augmentations". Isn't it great that we have diversity and can have fun comparing and contrasting and enjoying the rivalry? But more importantly if you love drum corps should you not be voting for all of the drum corps programs? Short of another favorite charity on the list I'm am surprised that SCV, Glassmen and BD do not match the votes of DCI. Kudo's to Cadets for taking it to a higher level. Remember it's not winner take all, give all these corps a vote if you have any left.