The Saginaw Saloon

Woo, that was a really fun way to open the season.

Really windy and really difficult to get into the stadium, but great none the less. Here's my thoughts on the corps.

Blue stars: didn't get to see all of the show cause I watched from the stairs. I really like the music, but I have no idea how it went visually.

Scv: wow. I was really excited for the show, but it was very hard to follow. Just not as exciting as I wanted.

Phantom: WOW. This show is just really cool. The theme is apparent, but at times there's really no stry. The music is loud and exciting. Very cool show.

Cadets: another really cool show. The theme is apparent as the corps is split in two. Guard is nice with opposite unis, and the drill is crazy at the end.

Crown: probably my favorite show. Yes, it was cheesy at times, but the crowd really got into it and it was fun to watch. The brass feature was insane, and I'm ready for this show to surprise me later in the summer.

Bluecoats: disappointed and confused. Their show last year was one of my favorites, but I was just perplexed at what the show was about. The crowd chuckled at the "where the he'll am I" quotes, which I don't think was the desired response. Music is cool at times, yet the theme seems over conceptualized.

Cavies: I hadn't really understood the theme before I saw them, but they really did some things that were extraordinary. Music was loud and cool and drill was nice. Drums playing upside down was the favorite of the night. Straight applause for about 30 seconds. Hope this show can go for the title.

Bd: clean and full of melody. I like the unis but the show overall doesn't wow me. The execution was great, but just not my favorite.

Favorites: 1. Crown. 2. Phantom. 3. Cavies 4. Cadets. 5. Blue stars. 6. Bd. 7. Bluecoats 8. Vanguard

Predictions: 1. Blue devils 2. Cavies 3. Crown 4. Cadets. 5. Phantom 6. Bluecoats. 7. Blue stars. 8. Vanguard

• Like 1

well..kinda.

but let's be honest, and I live in the East.

Cali gets screwed so often. They deserve this. Granted, I'm no fan of the concept and how it still can hurt DCI if you aren't one of the top 8, but it's time the state with easily the most rings gets some kind of love besides finals 1 time in 40 years

While I (kind of selfishly) agree with you, I can understand the economics at play here. While the trek between Texas & CA isn't insane, it's still a pretty large chunk of extra mileage for most of DCI. Plus, schools here can get out fairly late (there were some schools still in session mid-last week). Texas seems like a decent compromise to have a neutral field weekend to kick of the season.

But, yeah, please feel free to flood DCI's email with this suggestion: there would be zero complaints from me being able to potentially drive somewhere in my state to see last year's Top 8 kick-off the season! :thumbup:

I have an idea. This year, BD should bring out bar stools and tables. Have a fundraising raffle that will allow a lucky winner/fan to sit at the bar stool and table during the show, on the 50 yard line, on the front hash mark, with unfettered access to draft beer.

No. They'll be no stealing of ideas for shows from INT, if I have anything to do with it. INT has a copyright pending on this concept of chairs, tables, coolers, unfettered access to beer, etc for your information.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Now the DCI season has officially begun: we've already had the "Blue Devils never do anything difficult" nonsense.

In my experience, if something achieved by a high caliber musical group achieves something that seems hard, it's generally because they are talented enough to make it look natural/easy.

In Blue Devil's case, they don't attempt crazy difficult stuff every drill chart (no one does), but when they do they do it well with incredible technique and proficiency.

And on the flip side, there are a few corps who performed tonight in the Top 8 who have frequently performed relatively easy drum moves sloppily and making it look difficult due to their lack of control/mastering marching basics (for example, marching an 8-5 drill move while 'jazz running' to try to create the illusion/effect that what they're doing is difficult).

Said perfectly!

• Like 1

Really windy and really difficult to get into the stadium, but great none the less. Here's my thoughts on the corps.

Blue stars: didn't get to see all of the show cause I watched from the stairs. I really like the music, but I have no idea how it went visually.

Scv: wow. I was really excited for the show, but it was very hard to follow. Just not as exciting as I wanted.

Phantom: WOW. This show is just really cool. The theme is apparent, but at times there's really no stry. The music is loud and exciting. Very cool show.

Cadets: another really cool show. The theme is apparent as the corps is split in two. Guard is nice with opposite unis, and the drill is crazy at the end.

Crown: probably my favorite show. Yes, it was cheesy at times, but the crowd really got into it and it was fun to watch. The brass feature was insane, and I'm ready for this show to surprise me later in the summer.

Bluecoats: disappointed and confused. Their show last year was one of my favorites, but I was just perplexed at what the show was about. The crowd chuckled at the "where the he'll am I" quotes, which I don't think was the desired response. Music is cool at times, yet the theme seems over conceptualized.

Cavies: I hadn't really understood the theme before I saw them, but they really did some things that were extraordinary. Music was loud and cool and drill was nice. Drums playing upside down was the favorite of the night. Straight applause for about 30 seconds. Hope this show can go for the title.

Bd: clean and full of melody. I like the unis but the show overall doesn't wow me. The execution was great, but just not my favorite.

Favorites: 1. Crown. 2. Phantom. 3. Cavies 4. Cadets. 5. Blue stars. 6. Bd. 7. Bluecoats 8. Vanguard

Predictions: 1. Blue devils 2. Cavies 3. Crown 4. Cadets. 5. Phantom 6. Bluecoats. 7. Blue stars. 8. Vanguard

Thank you. Something useful after this not so friendly banter.

• Like 3

Thanks for the review!!! :thumbup:

unfettered?

sign me up (although I'm sure Plan's brew would be some blue color microbrew!)

Hey CB, speaking of color, I meant to tell you I like the black accent this year vs the goldish-brown window treatment dealie last year! More better! :thumbup:

Oh this is just getting started !!

Oh I bet. This is one of the first show threads I've followed for the whole night & just wanted to see more posts related to the show. :D