The Saginaw Saloon

Cavaliers 1st with fans, BD 5th. The Kiss of Death? DCI "judges" are certain if it's popular it isn't a winner. Just ask Madison & PR.

Phantom Regiment was " popular " in 2008 with the show theme " Spartacus "... and won.

(James and Dolley Madison are deceased, so I can't ask them if they thought they were popular or not after winning the White House. )

Edited by BRASSO

Tough crowd on DCP re. the 1st show critique, imo.

Its a jungle out there.

Edited by BRASSO

Phantom Regiment was " popular " in 2008 with the show theme " Spartacus "... and won.

(James and Dolley Madison are deceased, so I can't ask them if they thought they were popular or not after winning the White House. )

That's one. Probably others as well. But they're exceptions to the "rule", and you know it.

And didn't the Madisons (not of Wisconsin) also lose the White House to a gang of lobsterback arsonists? Actually, it became the "White" House after, when it was painted to hide the scorch marks.

Haven't read all 34 pages; too tired. But I wanted to get my licks in before heading to bed.

First off, I didn't know about this show until one of my FB friends posted about it this morning. Her daughter goes to the HS there and they were volunteers at the show. I assumed DCI would start the season in the midwest somewhere as usual and couldn't believe this show was practically in my backyard.

So, with a little rearranging of my schedule, I headed over to Saginaw for the show. And boy was it hot out there! I was thinking, I'm not looking forward to the heat.

The first unpleasant surprise was the paying for parking. That's a big no-no in my book. But I am a traditionalist when it comes to drum corps.

First off was Blue Stars. It was exciting to see the beginning of the 2011 DCI season as the DM did the count off to start the show. The scaffolding was interesting in the middle of the field. Overall, nice 1st show of the season. I think it was this corps that had a female guard member that had trouble with her pants during her feature dance. And after the show ended, a guard instructor came up to one of the girls and took her off the field immediately. Wasn't sure if it was the same girl that had pants trouble.

SCV was next. I was expecting great things and to be honest, I was greatly disappointed. I'm not thrilled about the show's title, and I'm sure a lot of other fans aren't as well. After the performance, I was thinking it was fitting that all I could come up with with regard to critique was, "What the hell was that?"

SCV drumline was strong for the first show, but the hornline had a lot of difficult runs and you could tell it was the first show of the season. And the music is so dissonant, it just didn't do much for me. Lots of cleaning to do.

PR was next. And as someone posted earlier, it was the first corps of the night to perform well and move me. Very nice theme and well executed. Guard is looking great. This show will go far. 2nd favorite show of the nite.

Cadets next. I wasn't expecting much and was pleasantly surprised with this show. Another "hell" theme with the angels and demons. But this theme was done much better with the two different uniforms and the interactions during drill. Reminded me of Sky Ryders and the black and white unis (forget what year that was). Drum line strong and nice M&M for the first show. Overall favorite show. I need to see this show again to catch things that I missed.

CC next after intermission. Not a fan of the piano and the "Elton John" looking character. Show was fun, and I like the flames on the drums, but I need to let this show grow on me. Guard was really good.

Bluecoats next. Show didn't do much for me. Hornline had some good sound at times. A lot of guard were having drops, but it got windy during their show.

Cavies. I agree, the guard on stilts was kinda odd. Drill was ok. But the last min and 1/2 they just formed a nice arc and played. This proves that this show was too early in the season, but I'll get into that in a few. The inverted quads was kinda neat.

BD. Nice sound from horns. Nice overall show. But not one of my favs. Couldn't hear the screaming trumpets during their solos when the full corps was playing. They had a lot of staff on the field holding down the props because it got really windy during their show. Is that even legal? BD also parked and blew during the last min or so of their show. Does that tell you that this show was too early in the season?

So, if I had to rank them, I would say:

1. Cadets

2. PR

3. BD

4. Cavies

5. CC

6. Bluecoats

7. Blue Stars

8. SCV

Overall thoughts: Already hate the guard uniforms that are goth and punk rockish. Not liking the piano synth coming from the pit. One guard from Cavies was really lost out there. SCV hornline needs work.

And this overall format of two shows in Texas and then showing it at a movie theater, I'm not liking at all. What a colossal waste of money on gas for the west coast corps, and whoever else has to follow them back to CA. And then back to Texas. I wonder if someone were to do a study to see how much extra fuel is burned doing that?

Good to get the first one out of the way. But not liking this new format.

BD also parked and blew during the last min or so of their show. Does that tell you that this show was too early in the season?

The corps know WAY ahead of time when the first show is. This is purely their fault for not getting their acts together.

As long as the judging community turns a blind eye to it, it will continue. If this actually, LEGITIMATELY effected scores early on, corps would come out prepared.

Some people save up all their money, poor kids, kids from miles away, old drum corps vets. Sometimes they only get to see one show a season and the product they see isn't even finished. I'm not talking a "clean and polished product"... but not even the real product at all.

I show up at the movies and get to watch the entire movie except the last 10 minutes, in which there is no sound. That's what I liken it to.

Edited by GeneralTsoChicken
  • Like 3

A lot of people get ridiculed for not liking a particular show on here and the reality is, that's bogus I think. I think it's ridiculous for someone to say "oh shame on you for not 'understanding' how good that show/corps was". And just to clarify, I'm not just talking about one corps/show- I'm talking about anytime this comes up.

The reality is, most people will see any corps' show one time during the summer and only one time. Sure there are nerds like us who watch each show 10+ times over the summer on FN, youtube, live etc. but the majority of DCI viewers will see it only once. And designers need to understand that.

IMHO- If you have to explain your show, for an audience to get it- you are missing the point. People should be entertained by your show without ever having to read a single description of it and without having any explanation of it. Because after all, the majority of people at these shows won't bother to take the time to research the shows before going to a DCI event.

Designers should trust the opinions of first time viewers probably more then they should trust people like us on DCP who nerd out on a very high level about these shows.

This is all of course assuming that the corps are still interested in entertaining. If all they care about is scoring well and winning over the judges then I don't even want to talk to you :ph34r:

Okay bed time for me. Thanks for all the reviews tonight from those of you who were there

• Like 1

Does that tell you that this show was too early in the season?

No, it tells me that the current form of mercenary drum corps doesn't allow shows to be finished on time. If all you have is audition camp in November, call backs in December, once a month camps from January to May, then a quick Spring Training before having your first show MORE THAN HALF-WAY INTO JUNE, and it's STILL not finished? How did drum corps BITD start the season in May? Oh, yeah, they used local kids who could come to weekly rehearsals that began with auditions (and those that didn't do so well in the auditions were given a spot in the feeder corps to work on their skills and get them prepared to march in the "A-Corps"); increase to twice-weekly in January or February, get on the field weekly in March, and have a complete show on the field in May. Considering how much less talent we had, because we were competing for members with 12 other corps in our region, we still managed to get a full show on the field. Park and bark in June is unacceptable, IMO.

Garry in Vegas

• Like 4

No, it tells me that the current form of mercenary drum corps doesn't allow shows to be finished on time. If all you have is audition camp in November, call backs in December, once a month camps from January to May, then a quick Spring Training before having your first show MORE THAN HALF-WAY INTO JUNE, and it's STILL not finished? How did drum corps BITD start the season in May? Oh, yeah, they used local kids who could come to weekly rehearsals that began with auditions (and those that didn't do so well in the auditions were given a spot in the feeder corps to work on their skills and get them prepared to march in the "A-Corps"); increase to twice-weekly in January or February, get on the field weekly in March, and have a complete show on the field in May. Considering how much less talent we had, because we were competing for members with 12 other corps in our region, we still managed to get a full show on the field. Park and bark in June is unacceptable, IMO.

Garry in Vegas

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Garry, be careful when you use common sense on DCP

• Like 2

Fan favoritea were:

1) cavies

2) cadets

3) phantom

4) crown

5) bd

6) bloo

7) stars