The Saginaw Saloon

Quck note: was at the show tonight BD sounded amazing, and musically, what they are doing is the next level. They do not sound like a typical drum corps. Not sure what they sound like, but it is great. Maybe a organ-synth or an orchestra. Great balance you hear every part with great tone color and quality of sound. Visual they are nothing special from a design or execution level. The last fourth of the show needs work. The "golf clap" thing is a joke, and I am not the biggest BD fan.

• Like 5

mmm. OK. Here is a link to the concept from the La Crosse paper

http://lacrossetribune.com/entertainment/music/bluestars/article_9ce6b0e6-9757-11e0-9f59-001cc4c03286.html

hope this helps!

---tom

Ya, no way I'm going to be able to follow all of that. That's really complex and in no way did I get "Jason Bourne action sequence" from the show. To me, they looked like punk rock kids with the mohawks and leather straps and stuff and then some guys in hooded jackets (WAY too hot for drum corps IMO) and it just didn't come across at all... Sorry, just my opinion.

Ya, no way I'm going to be able to follow all of that. That's really complex and in no way did I get "Jason Bourne action sequence" from the show. To me, they looked like punk rock kids with the mohawks and leather straps and stuff and then some guys in hooded jackets (WAY too hot for drum corps IMO) and it just didn't come across at all... Sorry, just my opinion.

well now you will know for next time. :) It's one big chase scene. The one guy in the hooded jacket is Jason Bourne and the other solo guy is the Assassin. The girl with the long red hair is the love interest they are fighting over. You can still enjoy the show without knowing the story.

---t

keep in mind it was an extreemely windy night and I know for a fact that not all of the guard work was put in tonight because of it.

It also might be a good idea to keep in mind that this was these Corps first show. Its fair to say they'll all change a lot of things in their shows. Right now everything's wet and wringled and in the washing machine jugging along. It's gotta go through the spin cycle next ( Cavs fans will like that metaphor ), then out and into the dryer later. After that, it's pressed with the iron on the ironing board with starch... and then we'll get to hold it up and see if it looks good with all the wringles out and fully pressed and starched.

But not yet. We're just peering through the window in the washing machine today. And if we wern't at the show, we're reallty only listening to those who went to the laundry room, telling us about the laundry facilities there. We'll get to go soon enough and see for ourselves.

Edited by BRASSO

Cavaliers 1st with fans, BD 5th. The Kiss of Death? DCI "judges" are certain if it's popular it isn't a winner. Just ask Madison & PR.

1 Blue Devils 98.900

2 Cavaliers 97.750

3 Bluecoats 96.400

4 Carolina Crown 95.950

5 The Cadets 95.100

6 Phantom Regiment 93.150

7 Santa Clara Vanguard 92.000

8 Blue Stars 91.900

264264_1429681742515_1246980315_31160742_1208575_n.jpg

Cavaliers 1st with fans, BD 5th. The Kiss of Death? DCI "judges" are certain if it's popular it isn't a winner. Just ask Madison & PR.

fans fav is not always the best show or best corps..just a favorite for many reasons..which is fine thats why its called fan favorite....just cant mix the to up. Although there has been a few times where they met.( with some)

Just got back. I didn't even have to drive home. I just jumped and the wind took care of the rest.

Quick review:

I'm not thrilled with the Blue Stars just yet. I had high expectations after last season but they aren't being met so far.

SCV is apparently quite young. It shows. Had Blue Stars above them.

I'm not really a Phantom fan and I honestly don't remember a ton about them. I agree with the person earlier who mentioned something about the story being absent at times during the show. I'm sure they'll fix that. Cool uniforms.

Cadets were a noticeable step up from Phantom. They have a good show, and if they play their cards right, I think they could be top 3. Who knows.

Crown has a great beginning to their show, and the crowd was really into it. Beyond that, though, I think this show needs work. I'm not buying the concept just yet and some of the use of popular rock songs (like Sweet Child O' Mine, for instance) comes off a bit contrived.

For me, it's going to be difficult for the Bluecoats to live up to last year. I think the show has potential and I did like it better than Crown, but I honestly don't remember a ton about it. The kids looked confident, though, and they play well.

The Cavaliers are much cleaner out of the gate this year than they were last year. If this show grows half as much as Mad World did, we're in for a treat. Seemed to be the crowd favorite to me.

I was expecting to hate the Blue Devils' uniforms, but they look fine. The show is much more palatable than last year, but it doesn't feel like championship material to me.

That's all I've got. It's going to be an interesting season, and I look forward to the storylines that emerge in the coming weeks.