Can SCV Break into the top 5?

Let's remember a couple of things- SCV has a lot of local kids from around there area right!? I ask because CA high schools get out way late compared to others.

Secondly they traveling way long distances to cone to Texas and that puts them further behind.

According to my map, the other corps traveled way long distances to get to Texas, too.

• Like 1

The short answer is YES

The longer answer is I hope so! :tongue:

• Like 3

I think it's a tad early in the season to start summarily placing corps in holes that they must dig out of. And as we all know, placement for a corps depends not only on their improvement throughout the season, but the improvement of their competitors as well.

SCV may very well be able to clean up their show a ton.

But it wouldn't necessarily mean a change in the placements if everyone else is doing it too.

• Like 1

Let's also not forget the quality of the brass can also be linked to the quality of the visual training. SCV will have a great drumline and if the brass and visual staff can work things out, this corps will be great. However, if the corps is struggling to hang on to a single digit placement ... how long before we start hearing the calls for the second consecutive corps director named Jeff to be replaced?

I love this corps and want to see them do well ... only time will tell ...

• Like 1

The short answer is YES

The longer answer is I hope so! :tongue:

Well, we will see if they can really get it together. I've been following SCV since the late '70s and I have to say, along with last year's show, this show looks weak particularly from the brass perspective. I think drums are SMOKING and on fire! (and not smoking w**d).

A top 5 show *USUALLY* will have familiar tunes, and high entertainment value. From the past two shows in TX, there's nothing familiar about it. It's just seems like a bunch of concert band/avant garde stuff thrown together. I mean, it's that way to me. Just a morass of dark and unfamiliar. I mean, they have a great staff and I'm really wondering what they all think of when they come to a decision as to what tunes they come to a consensus. Is this corps going to become a 'hot dog' corps? Perhaps, we will see. I'm all for the great excellent effort of the kids, but this show, as is, doesn't seem like it had a Top 5 look to it. I would not be surprised if maybe they inserted/exchanged new, different music for some of the pieces. Maybe something like SCV from 1980? SOMETHING that would help uplift this show! Look at the Cadets, Cavaliers, or even Madison Scouts!

Yeah I know, this is just one old guy's opinion. Don't be too too hard OK? :)

Thanks,

Roger

• Like 1

Let's remember a couple of things- SCV has a lot of local kids from around there area right!? I ask because CA high schools get out way late compared to others.

Secondly they traveling way long distances to cone to Texas and that puts them further behind. On top if that this is a very weak written show. I don't think SCV will compete for the top 5 or 6. I think they'll likely battle with BK, Boston and Madison for 8-11. But things can certainly change!

Wes P

I don't think Texas is any farther from California than it is from Wisconsin, is it?

Well, we will see if they can really get it together. I've been following SCV since the late '70s and I have to say, along with last year's show, this show looks weak particularly from the brass perspective. I think drums are SMOKING and on fire! (and not smoking w**d).

A top 5 show *USUALLY* will have familiar tunes, and high entertainment value. From the past two shows in TX, there's nothing familiar about it. It's just seems like a bunch of concert band/avant garde stuff thrown together. I mean, it's that way to me. Just a morass of dark and unfamiliar. I mean, they have a great staff and I'm really wondering what they all think of when they come to a decision as to what tunes they come to a consensus. Is this corps going to become a 'hot dog' corps? Perhaps, we will see. I'm all for the great excellent effort of the kids, but this show, as is, doesn't seem like it had a Top 5 look to it. I would not be surprised if maybe they inserted/exchanged new, different music for some of the pieces. Maybe something like SCV from 1980? SOMETHING that would help uplift this show! Look at the Cadets, Cavaliers, or even Madison Scouts!

Yeah I know, this is just one old guy's opinion. Don't be too too hard OK? :)

Thanks,

Roger

One old guy who obviously cares. Just wonder how easy it would be to ditch a whole concept before they've even had a chance to clean for a month. Or how wise.

Edited by Scottishfan

All they have to do is stay competitive with the top 8 through the summer, then bring out Bottle Dance for finals to jump 3 spots to make the top 5! :thumbup:

On a serious note I hope SCV can bring the show around like they did last year. I "really disliked" them in Atlanta, thought it was very poorly performed and totally lost the crowd. But then I "really loved" the show in Indy. So there is hope for a late season surge. Worst case scenario, sit back and just enjoy the drumline, that's a great show within itself.

• Like 2

I vividly remember that year that Madison dropped out of the top 12. (02)

This SCV corps is much worse than that Madison corps I watched the entire season.

If they scrape by and stay in the top 12 it is because of their name, their percussion, or they claw their way back into it.

They are that rough. And don't use an edited Theater show as your judge, people.

• Like 3