Can SCV Break into the top 5?

I have to ask the question simply because I do not know: With everyone saying that the SCV brass line is so bad, has there been a big change from last year to this in their brass staff? Who is their caption head and where does he/she come from? It seems they did a great job in hiring for percussion. Did they have a major change in brass or is it just a slip by the same staff as last year?

Yes. Last year the Brass Caption Head was Andre Feagin. This year Jeff Fiedler brought in David Clemmer to run the hornline. David and nearly all of his staff taught at The Cavaliers for years and were let go after the 2009 season. They are all from the UH (Eddie Green method) school of thought, which in my opinion only works in this activity if you have tons of talent, which SCV clearly does not have.

• Like 1

the brass book is a beast. fundamentally, the brass sounds fine in just about every element of musicality (intonation, tone, balance, dynamics), but it's going to take them a long while to get it to where it sounds good...especially with the visual demands.

just a beast of a show that might have to get hosed a bit...though i hope not.

Interesting. To me I hear bad sounds, bad intonation, no dynamics, and lots of people flat out not playing out there. As someone earlier on here said, there are lots of leakers in that hornline right now.

• Like 1

Interesting. To me I hear bad sounds, bad intonation, no dynamics, and lots of people flat out not playing out there. As someone earlier on here said, there are lots of leakers in that hornline right now.

No excuse for SCV, but I think this show is clearly more demanding visually than ones in recent years. Certainly there's room to improve in the coming weeks. I agree 100% though, their musicality (intonation/dynamics) isn't up to par right now compared to other corps.

the brass book is a beast. fundamentally, the brass sounds fine in just about every element of musicality (intonation, tone, balance, dynamics), but it's going to take them a long while to get it to where it sounds good...especially with the visual demands.

just a beast of a show that might have to get hosed a bit...though i hope not.

Actually, I was at both TX shows this weekend and do not see their show as the beast you portray. Thought Cadets and Blue Stars shows were definitely much more difficult, both visually and musically. IMHO.

No excuse for SCV, but I think this show is clearly more demanding visually than ones in recent years. Certainly there's room to improve in the coming weeks. I agree 100% though, their musicality (intonation/dynamics) isn't up to par right now compared to other corps.

Right. But it isn't even up to par standing still though....

Right. But it isn't even up to par standing still though....

I gotta say, what I heard standing still was fine for right now, and a LOT better than the on the go stuff.

I was expecting to hear some horrible performance based on what people were saying on here. I heard quite a lot of stuff while they were on the move, but in the arc it was much improved.

It's so early. I heard crap in a bunch of the other corps too. Why should we be so hard on SCV right now?

• Like 1

I gotta say, what I heard standing still was fine for right now, and a LOT better than the on the go stuff.

I was expecting to hear some horrible performance based on what people were saying on here. I heard quite a lot of stuff while they were on the move, but in the arc it was much improved.

It's so early. I heard crap in a bunch of the other corps too. Why should we be so hard on SCV right now?

Did you hear them live, or not? The theater recording does not do it injustice (or justice, if you will).

They were extremely, extremely rough and it was not as noticeable in the theater.

Yes. Last year the Brass Caption Head was Andre Feagin. This year Jeff Fiedler brought in David Clemmer to run the hornline. David and nearly all of his staff taught at The Cavaliers for years and were let go after the 2009 season. They are all from the UH (Eddie Green method) school of thought, which in my opinion only works in this activity if you have tons of talent, which SCV clearly does not have.

Correct, they were also at the helm of the super quiet Cavaliers lines. Clemmer's exact words in 2001 were "We aren't trying to sound like drum corps loud, we are trying to sound like a wind ensemble here."

That's not going to translate well to this show, even if they were top notch across the board.