DCA AND DCI JOIN FORCES!

as far as DCA mimicking DCI , what do you mean show design or style? IF thats what you mean I think alot of that has been happening for many years, with many

( not all ) staff crossovers maybe

Yeah, I guess that's the main thing for me.

DCI corps have their strengths (visual, etc.)

All-age corps have their strengths (more personality, etc.)

A joint marketing venture is a great thing. But it doesn't mean the products on the field should be the same.

IMO, corps in both circuits should focus on their strengths and not try to be "just like the other guys".... both ways.

That would make the marketing tie-in even more powerful, I would think. Drum corps, two different ways. Take your pick, or enjoy both for what they bring to the table. Win-win for everyone.

If NASCAR and Formula One joined together in a marketing agreement... you would have a marketing powerhouse, but still two completely different styles of racing. That's a good thing, IMO.

Plus, I guess I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to a championship. I think that should be the end of the season, for all intents and purposes.

Corps A wins a "DCA Championship" in early August. Then Corps B beats Corps A at the next few shows after the "championship." To me, that kind of takes the luster off that championship.

Just my opinion.

• Like 3

What are the complaints about? Anything other than conflicts with school last part of August? Just wondering as I come from the Memorial Day to Labor Day weekend season.

LOL I wouldn't be surprised about anything either, especially if it helps the survival of the circuits. If you told be back in the 70s what Drum Corps would be like today, I would have said yer nutz. Now I believe in the old James Bond movie title "Never Say Never".

I am not agreeing with either argument, but just stating some facts. We have schools in our state that begin on the first of August this year. Many counties have a policy that absences do not count during the first two weeks of school, so any earlier championship would not affect them.

• Like 1

I am not agreeing with either argument, but just stating some facts. We have schools in our state that begin on the first of August this year. Many counties have a policy that absences do not count during the first two weeks of school, so any earlier championship would not affect them.

Few years back my wife and I were in the Finger Lakes area, NY in late June. Flippin' school bus went down the road and I asked the hotel clerk if it was for summer school or late finish due to a bad winter. Her response was mid to late june finish was normal up there. Either way it goes, there gonna be problems with school so no real answer from my end.

As for the Dream discussion, Hershey used to have a combined show with no problems until a few years back. Owners of the stadium ended up screwing the deal..

And I like Frans racing example. DCA and DCI are kinda, really the same but.... different enough that lot of people like on ebut not the other (and some like both). IOW - viva la difference

• Like 1

At any championship.... DCI or DCA... I would think the entire focus should be on those corps in that particular circuit.... not a bright spotlight on one set of corps and a dimmer spotlight on another.

And man oh man, we gotta fit in the Minis and Alumni type corps in there somewhere. :cool:

Maybe Minis/Alumnis can be the "sprint cars" in the racing analogy. They are there but kinda outside of the big money, big publicity part of the sport....

I think that you hit the nail right on the head. I can't count the number of times that I've seen people post on DCP saying "Bring back the Dream". I don't know how well it would fly in the rest of the country, but in the northeast people would step on their own sister to get into a show like that.

In today's mentality, once you say finals/worlds, whatever, performers will want to be done.

And man oh man, we gotta fit in the Minis and Alumni type corps in there somewhere. :cool:

Maybe Minis/Alumnis can be the "sprint cars" in the racing analogy. They are there but kinda outside of the big money, big publicity part of the sport....

Which is exactly why I doubt a combined Championships would work - or should even be considered.

Alumni and Minicorps are a HUGE part of DCA Weekend.

(Not to take anything away from I&Es!)

[Fraying Thread]

IMO, DCA Prelims should go back to Saturday during the day - and the Minicorps Championship should be on Satuday night.

Daytime Prelims go back Drum Corps roots, gives fans another day out in the sun - and Hey, two Block Parties!

Heh...

[/Fraying Thread]

DCI and DCA are different worlds, and have a different emphasis (i.e. "Education" vs "Entertainment").

Vive La Difference!

In other areas, like Marketing/Publicity, pooling resources is a win/win, IMO...

Edited by Diceman

:ph34r:

Been waiting for something like this for awhile.. :thumbup:

For the folks that are jumping the gun here, let's take it one step at a time..Heck, no one can imagine the possibilities for a joint marketing effort / force between DCI and DCA more than myself (well maybe)but I'm also just grateful for the 1st step in this direction. Like others have said, the possibilities are almost endless..as Dave's OP indicated, the average age difference between the 2 circuits is significantly closer than ever..not like the Prehistoric era when Jr. was Jr. and All-age was SR.!!

There are a number of actions and reactions that have allowed for this step to be initiated..probably too many to list without specific bias to each entity, and from MY standpoint - too long in coming. Better late than never..

If this starts the engines to running more of the 'old-style' combo shows like the Dream, the Hershey show, and for lack of a bigger similarity - DCM Championships back in the day.

Hey - this isn't the absolute answer to everything, but it's a nice start..Congrats to Gil and Dan..2 men I KNOW can work together to better everyone and lead toward those loftier goals people are clamoring for. :worthy:

Pat

In today's mentality, once you say finals/worlds, whatever, performers will want to be done.

That's true, but it wouldn't have to be called that. Just call it a "show".

[Fraying Thread]

IMO, DCA Prelims should go back to Saturday during the day - and the Minicorps Championship should be on Satuday night.

Daytime Prelims go back Drum Corps roots, gives fans another day out in the sun - and Hey, two Block Parties!

Heh...

[/Fraying Thread]

Honestly with Minicorps going as late as they do, I would wonder if ANYONE (not to be confused with EVERYONE) would show up for the Alumni show....I like it the way it is. A late night as a spectator on Friday night and no need to be rushing off at the crack of dawn the following morning. :cool:

• Like 1

I think it would be great to have a large DCA show/event along side DCI Finals rather than having DCA and DCI championships the same weekend. You can merge the circuits together for one series of shows but afterwords, DCA keeps on going for another few weeks until their Championships. You can call it the Drum Corps Super Mega Extreme Show.... or something better.

Imagine, if you will-

DCI - Quarter Finals on Wednesday

DCI - Semi Finals on Thursday

Drum Corps Mega Show on Friday (Featuring 15+ corps including the top 5 Open Class, A class corps, and Alumni Corps). You can also have DCI Open Class Exhibitions and maybe even some World Class Performances.

DCI- Finals on Saturday.

Not only does this bring plenty of ticket sales and suvie revenue for all corps, but all the DCA corps can stay for Finals on Saturday. PLUS- this is a great way to bring the East Coast and West Coast DCA corps together for a meeting before DCA Finals.

Think about that line up

MBI, Bucs, Cabs, Hurcs, Empire, Bush, Alliance, Renegades, Fusion, Carolina Gold, Kilties, Sun, Cabs Alumni, Sky Alumni, Bridgemen (I'm not forgeting anyone on purpose) !!!!! Thats one packed show. MAYBE EVEN A COMBINED CORPS CHART (standing still) OR TWO BETWEEN 5+ CORPS!!!! Add on possibly some Open Class and World Class un-judged exhibitions and I think you've got a great show!

Yes there are plenty of logistics involved and taking off of work on a thursday and friday is tough... but one can dream right?