Should DCI have rules to protect kids from themselves?

Ya this is kinda just like telling your kid not to drive. 40,000 people die in the US due to car crashes, as opposed to the 7,800 that die each year from melanoma each year. But your still gonna let your kid drive arent you?

Skin cancer is a ticking time bomb. Last year I lost two friends to melanoma. It is a very nasty and deadly disease. Last year I was diagnosed with skin cancer (non-melanoma). After, I found out that many of my DC brothers and sisters had also been diagnosed with some form of skin cancer. I marched in the early 70s. If you marched in the 80s or 90s, you may not know or have been diagnosed, yet. Just give it time. Forcing members to wear shirts may not be possible, but the consequences should be fully explained. Oh and btw the ingredients in sunscreen have been shown to cause cancer.

Ya this is kinda just like telling your kid not to drive. 40,000 people die in the US due to car crashes, as opposed to the 7,800 that die each year from melanoma each year. But your still gonna let your kid drive arent you?

I think a better analogy would be driving without a seat belt. You are much more like to get hurt if you don't wear a seat belt, just like you are much more likely to have skin issues if you don't wear a shirt. You would drive without a seat belt, would you?

Edited by WOOHOO

I think a better analogy would be driving without a seat belt. You are much more like to get hurt if you don't wear a seat belt, just like you are much more likely to have skin issues if you don't wear a shirt. You would drive without a seat belt, would you?

so sun-block doesnt count as a seat belt, just a shirt?

Next subject to argue for the sake of arguement ?

They both count, but you don't have to reapply shirts :tongue:

touche!

Devils advocate here.

What would be the negative consequence of DCI instituting a mandatory t-shirt rule.

One would be....how would it be enforced? Will there be DCI inspectors at rehearsals?

My son is an adult, and as such he can make his own choices, but because he is fair-skinned and a towhead I wish he would wear a shirt. WHO came out last year and equated tanning and UV rays with exposure to radiation and lead paint in terms of danger (although their report was based on tanning beds, it applies). Many studies have shown a direct link between over-exposure to sun at an early age and later cancer, and melanoma is almost universally fatal. When I talked about this with the drum major and corps folks he marched with last year, they just kind of rolled their eyes, which I understand- they see this as the least of their problems. But what about a rule that would require wearing shirts in rehearsal? If just a few kids could be saved from having tumors cut off their skin or worse later on, it seems like it would be worthwhile to me...I know it's a ridiculous thing, but I worry nonetheless.

This seems like a silly topic. Not the fact that you can possibly get cancer, but more to the idea that you want the "DCI police" to control the poor choices made by a young adult who needs to get egg on his face. I for one marched with my shirt on in practice and in the blistering heat! I recall not being part of the norm, but I did not care. I knew that I burned real easy and appropriately took the actions to protect myself. This choice had nothing to do with how my parents raised me either.