Thunderous Goo: A History

Yes.... it is used heavily by many marching bands... especially competitive ones like at BOA. My rationale on why drum corps have begun using it is because the staffs of nearly all the drum corps are also on staff at many of the top marching bands...I'm really at a loss as to why any of these people actually think this sounds good.

Two reasons:

(1) Drugs and alcohol.

(2) In the movie Star Trek IV, "reborn" Spock determines that the probe destroying Earth is really just trying to communicate with whales. To illustrate his theory, he channels the probes' sounds through the Enterprise's speakers and adds an audio filter simulating the density of water-- presto, the probe sounds just like a whale, and Kirk & Company set off for Humpback Whale Depot.

Applying this metaphorically to the current use of T-Goo, the gluteus maximus muscles are the audio filter, and the staff's ears are planted firmly between them-- presto, it sounds "normal".

Edited by TRacer
  • Like 6

Two reasons:

(1) Drugs and alcohol.

(2) In the movie Star Trek IV, "reborn" Spock determines that the probe destroying Earth is really just trying to communicate with whales. To illustrate his theory, he channels the probes' sounds through the Enterprise's speakers and adds an audio filter simulating the density of water-- presto, the probe sounds just like a whale, and Kirk & Company set off for Humpback Whale Depot.

Applying this metaphorically to the current use of T-Goo, the gluteus maximus muscles are the audio filter, and the staff's ears are planted firmly between them-- presto, it sounds "normal".

Not a bad post for a rookie!

+1

As much as I hate the thunderous goo, I love that the name has caught on!

And seriously, I have to admit that if a corps actually succeeded in finding the "brown note" (as they all seem to be in search of), and then unleashed it in a packed stadium on finals night during their climactic company front - with the resulting REAL goo production, they'd totally deserve the ring. The surround-sound blu-ray would sell like hotcakes!

• Like 1

Two reasons:

(1) Drugs and alcohol.

+1 for the ST-IV-The Voyage Home reference.

Does anyone have an example of the sound? I have been reading about thunderous goo and I don't know what is sounds like.

Splooie x 100,000

Does anyone have an example of the sound? I have been reading about thunderous goo and I don't know what is sounds like.

Enquiring ears what to hear it!

• Like 2

Not a bad post for a rookie!

+1

Thanks--- I've actually been on this board for a number of years, but forgot my old screen name and log in so I had to create a new one in '09. :doh: I figured if I used my son's first name (Tracer) as my new ID I couldn't possibly forget it again. :dozingoff:

Edited by TRacer

Two reasons:

(1) Drugs and alcohol.

:worthy:

Whatever the origins of and motivations for low end synth "thunderous goo", one of the results is homogenization of the sounds of the competing corps. One of the things which I used to enjoy in drum corps was the unique ACOUSTIC sounds which each unit brought to the table. These were a more accurate reflection of the technical capacities of the players. Now I am often not sure what I am listening to. :blink:

Edited by Geneva

Sadly as an actual musical sound, it looks like the goo is here to stay. Not just a "fad" like narration (remember that?).

Yowza.