Something disappointing.

When we were at one of the shows this last weekend, one of the parents of a kid in one of the corps was telling a story that really made me disappointed in drum corps. Their son had auditioned for a G8 corps and had gotten accepted. However, when he got to move-ins, he was told they didn't have a spot for him any longer, and put him on a bus for one of the lower placing corps a couple of hours away. I understand that maybe some kids aren't quite to the level of a higher placing corps, but to me this really bites, to be told they are accepted, and make all the travel arrangements only to show up and not have a spot after all.

And while I won't mention that corps name here, I am extremely disappointed to see someone treated in this manner. Where is the respect for the auditioning student? And is this a common occurance these days? I didn't get a chance to talk in depth to the parents, but I hope to heck these students fees were all refunded. I mean it is one thing to get cut before the season starts, but to show up for move ins and then be cut after making arrangements. I'll tell you I won't be supporting the corps at all this year that cut that kid that way. This was definitely one story that made this last week a little less special.

• Like 9

:thumbdown:

I read a similar story earlier this summer, that's not cool to do that, pretty much making a dream come true and then crushing it.

I think bringing up G8 is just another way to start more hate, again though.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

On the surface that would seem a very cold and heartless thing to do. However, life has taught me there are always two sides to every story. I'm sure there's more to this.

• Like 8

When we were at one of the shows this last weekend, one of the parents of a kid in one of the corps was telling a story that really made me disappointed in drum corps. Their son had auditioned for a G8 corps and had gotten accepted. However, when he got to move-ins, he was told they didn't have a spot for him any longer, and put him on a bus for one of the lower placing corps a couple of hours away. I understand that maybe some kids aren't quite to the level of a higher placing corps, but to me this really bites, to be told they are accepted, and make all the travel arrangements only to show up and not have a spot after all.

And while I won't mention that corps name here, I am extremely disappointed to see someone treated in this manner. Where is the respect for the auditioning student? And is this a common occurance these days? I didn't get a chance to talk in depth to the parents, but I hope to heck these students fees were all refunded. I mean it is one thing to get cut before the season starts, but to show up for move ins and then be cut after making arrangements. I'll tell you I won't be supporting the corps at all this year that cut that kid that way. This was definitely one story that made this last week a little less special.

Something similar to this happened to a friend of mine. He went to (And paid for) the all of the camps....made the corps hornline (last third soprano spot). He received a phone call from the director of the corps less than a week before leaving for tour who told him "You need to try out again for the corps....a veteran from last season wants a spot in the soprano line". After a brief interesting conversation...he told the director to stick it. Kicker is....just two day's prior to this phone call...myself and a couple friends had a surprise send off party for him

• Like 1

I don't know the story here...but maybe the staff did not like his/her attitude? Talent can go just so far IMO.

Had he signed a contract? I don't know how the "commitment" process works. OTOH, I assume corps can kick kids out halfway through the season for pretty much any reason, so why not at move-ins. The top corps are going to have the most willingness and incentive to do so.

Now I'm also really curious what corps this was. I can think of only a couple areas of the country where there are corps "a couple of hours" apart.