The Stars at Night are Big and Bright...

I've never been to the Barry Center. Can anyone describe it?

EDIT: I found the web page for the center. How much are tickets? The ticket price link is dead (day-of-show, I'm sure).

Let's just say everything is bigger in Texas.......

GE Visual: Wes Cartwright

GE Music: Garland Markham

Visual Proficiency: Bret Mascaro

Visual Design: Deborah Torchia

Color Guard: Jaqueline Gilley

Music Brass: Albert Lo

Music Design: Monte Mast

Music Percussion: JJ Pipitone

This is an interesting panel. First time for Wes Cartwright and Garland Markham judging this season. And the first time Bret Mascaro will have judged these corps. So, we have no way to know what to expect from them. The rest of these judges have judged all eight corps at least twice and usually more often.

Experimentally, I've run some numbers on the variations of each judge's own scoring of a corps this season is from the average spreads that the corps has received from other judges against the same corps. Hope that makes sense. So for example if Bluecoats and Madison have met up five times, and corps A typically wins caption X by 0.35, but judge Z when he has judged corps A and corps B in the same show typically gives a spread of 0.4, then judge Z will be rated as favoring corps A by 0.05. Sum that up over all opponents scored by judge Z against corps A in all captions, and you get this number I'll call the judge's tilt for Corps A.

I'm afraid to post the numbers I've come up with per judge because there's already a lot of judge-bashing that goes on around here--if you really want to see the raw data, PM me.

But, if you take all the tilts and sum them up per corps (then divide by two per the scoring rules), then here is a rough numeric take on how "tilted" this panel is towards each corps, ie how far off of the "expected" score (or a notional average score in which all judges score all corps) they will be:

Blue Stars

The Cavaliers

The Cadets

Blue Devils

+0.29
Bluecoats

+0.29
Santa Clara Vanguard

+0.38
Carolina Crown

+0.40
Phantom Regiment

CAVEAT LECTOR: Obviously we're dealing with a tiny dataset, with each judge scoring these corps at most eight times so far, in different captions, at different times in the season, with different lineups, in different orders, on different sheets, and in different conditions, etc, etc, etc. These numbers are intended for entertainment purposes only, and do not reflect the official opinion of DCI, nor my personal opinion, nor yours. Past results are not a predictor of future scores. Ultimately all of this won't give us a clue on what the results will be tonight.

What I see in the numbers is that we'll probably see Crown do relatively well among the top four tonight, given a tilt of +0.96 over Cavies and +0.85 over Cadets. Phantom will be closer to the top than we expect. And Blue Stars will get a bummer of a score.

Then again, we have zero data on the two judges with the biggest impact, so none of this may mean anything. :w00t:

In any case, should be an interesting evening. I look forward to hearing what the TOC is like the second time around.

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 1

Cadets on last could also mean Cadets in first.

They were on last in Rockford too. I think the TOC events are a fixed performance order throughout the series.

Wouldn't be surprised to Rosemont pop 90 tonight, with everyone else in top four spread within .5 or .6 of each other, starting a little under a point off the lead. At a guess...

1. Cavaliers 90.1

2. Cadets 89.3

3. Blue Devils 89.1

4. Crown 88.8

Cavaliers take Guard and Percussion, Cadets (or possibly Crown?...) wins horns, Cavaliers win overall GE, but lose Music GE to Cadets.

Edited by mobrien

Let's just say everything is bigger in Texas.......

Yep. I remember paying some decently high prices for each day of the show there when it was a 2 day show (separate tickets for each day). Mightve totaled out more than i paid for san antonio right after. But this is a great venue for drum corps. Big enough to see stuff, small enough to have a relatively intimate environment.

Edited by AlexL

In Houston but not going to the show. Went last year and Barry Field is best venue for smaller show I've ever been to! Stands steep and right against the field.... Incredible acoustics!! Wish I could go but saving money for SA manana!

I will be heading down the street in about an hour. It is nice living about 2 miles from the Berry Center. Fantastic site for a show, as others have already mentioned.

Trying to decide if I want to run over to SA tomorrow.