How many Open class corps will make semi-finals?

OC isn't the plucky overachieving 70 member corps they generally have been. I think they have about the same size corps as BDB. I don't think BDB has an inherent advantage on the WC sheets.

I agree. I don't buy the idea that any particular corps, by virtue of its show design, has an inherent advantage on WC sheets. I would think they would all translate similarly from OC to WC sheets.

I saw Spartans and Surf on the same night back in early July I think. I am sure they both improved, but on that night, Spartans were clearly better (in my mind of course, not necessarily the judges) and I thought then that whoever the top corps are in OC in Indy, they have a great shot at getting past Surf, and probably Pio as well.

I am glad the OC gets to compete this year. I love seeing how they stack up against some of the lower WC corps, and I know it gives the kids a huge plus to end their season. Should be very interesting to see how it shakes out!

Good luck to all!!!

I know, but is always sad to see corps go out. I think with Magic, they had become too big for Div.2, so the move to Div. 1 was natural for them. Just wish they were a bit more stable, and had stuck around.

Magic had every intention of going Div. I in 2002, but were not approved to do so. While this caused a competitive debauchery in Div. II, it does make me wonder if maybe DCI saw something then which led to Magic's eventual second downfall only a few years later.

OC isn't the plucky overachieving 70 member corps they generally have been. I think they have about the same size corps as BDB. I don't think BDB has an inherent advantage on the WC sheets.

Agreed. Crusaders have a great design and are achieving its difficulties. So is BDB though. I believe, if anything, an open class corps is given more credit than necessary to try difficult things and not perform them cleanly. In world class you have to execute to get credit. Open class is a little more lenient in that aspect. The top 4 corps in Open Class however are all pushing their member's talent boundaries with design but they are ACTUALLY achieving and executing unlike several other top 12 placing open class corps. The top 3 or 4 corps will all translate well enough on the world class sheets to make semis I think.

I know, but is always sad to see corps go out. I think with Magic, they had become too big for Div.2, so the move to Div. 1 was natural for them. Just wish they were a bit more stable, and had stuck around.

Magic was ONLY in Division 2 because DCI forced them to compete in Division 2. There was no other reason for them to be there. The way that Magic went about things that year was very obviously because of rules that DCI had in place that an inactive corps had to comply with, not choice. smile.gif

Unfortunately, no OC corps will make semi's. Remember when Teal Sound went to WC just 2 years ago? They were like 2nd to last.

Unfortunately, no OC corps will make semi's. Remember when Teal Sound went to WC just 2 years ago? They were like 2nd to last.

I will bet you ONE MILLION DOLLARS that at least two OC corps make semis. :)

It is a mathematical certainty.

I will bet you ONE MILLION DOLLARS that at least two OC corps make semis. :)

It is a mathematical certainty.

And hows that?

25 corps in semis - 23 world class corps

25? holy cow, I thought it was still 17. That's lame!