Judging

How long of a term would you have them allowed to do?

Where are they going to find new judges?? Especially qualified judges??

Michigan voters tried this with their state government - putting term limits on the entire state senate and house. What ended up happening is that the new members of the state congress didn't know what they were doing, and there were hardly any experienced veterans around who knew the ropes, thus the entire congress was completely inept, and almost shut down the entire gov't for lack of agreeing on a budget.

Experience is really something that you can never pay enough for. I think this is a bad idea. Noble, perhaps, I'm sure you mean well, but I really think doing that will bring disaster.

However - if you had terms limits to like 15 years, maybe that would not be a bad idea.

If they had a large enough pool of qualified, experienced people that wish to judge competitions, then perhaps they could ask them to retire after 10-15 years, if they had someone to replace them. The reason for that being there may be some people qualified to judge, but can't get in because of someone that has been there 100 years who doesn't wanna give up their spot.

If they have a surplus of judges, I'd rather have them just have more people judging the big shows. Have a judge for each brass section, 1 for drums, 1 for pit ensemble, 1 for guard, and 1 for each GE caption. That's 10 judges.

Then for Finals, double it. 20 judges should be enough for there to not be any reason for anyone to complain about judges' scoring.

Edited by BoyWonder1911

I think it would be an interesting idea if there were "term limits" or a certain number of years a judge can be a judge and than he or she move on.

Only one group of people I believe this should be the case, but the're not scheduled to return to DC until September. Damnn founding fathers!

Ya right, of COURSE you're not upset with the judges. You showed your unhappiness by saying perhaps a long time DCI judge might want to consider becoming a " dog show judge ". Now, lets say it's a percussion judge thats been around 30 years or so ( some have ). You are saying that because they have done percussion for 30 years they should consider now becoming a judge in dog shows that judges dogs ? What the hell does percussion have to do with dogs ? Why didn't you just say that maybe" DCI needs to new blood in their ranks", if as you claim, you are not upset with some judges.

Look man, if you got a beef with a judge or two, just come out and say it, and who you think stinks or whatnot. Don't tiptoe through the tulips. Just man up, you know ? Its clear as a bell that you're upset, despite your pretending that you're not. The suggestion some should judge " dog shows " or " little girl's pageant shows " quip tells us clearly that you're upset. Who do you think you're fooling here ?

I agree with you BRASSO. The way I see it, the judges do a lot for this activity They are evolved in a great activity year round with these talented kid. Some teach, some work winter guard etc. A good thing about this year, DCI is trying to change thing with the new sheets. For the past 20+ years the top 7 corps have been there. They must be doing some right. I have seen several corps shows live this year and all are enjoyable in their own right. I do think that Boston has a special show this year and are under scored IMO. Have a great day.

Sure, let's take you up on your idea...... as long as we can also limit the tenure of corps directors at the same time.

Now what do you think?

All these threads where "I'm not complaining but..." just come off as sour grapes. We want honest judging night-to-night, then turn around and complain that the SCV / Boston spread opened up. C'Mon. We decry booing "the kids," and rightly so. Would YOU want to be a judge? Do people suddenly become immune to criticism when they turn 21? Do you think the judges enjoy the second guessing? I think what we have this season is a lot of very excellent corps. Due to the way the system is set up, one and only one of them will end up in first place next Saturday. Will that really change your future listening or viewing preference when you turn on the DVD or Ipod? I mean, the FIRST thing all of us will do is play the Scouts to see if ESOM is there with audio, am I right???? OF course I'm right.

If you applied term limits to judging, you would run out of canidates in two years.

Instead of focusing on who is judging... maybe we should actually know what is being judged and what is on the sheets?

Maybe after seeing what is on the sheets, we'd realize half these judges aren't that bad.

More importantly (IMO), there should be more focus on WHO determines WHAT is on the sheets. It appears to me to be very self-serving if the sheets are designed (or their content is ultimately determined) by the very units being judged (i.e. the DCI BOD). For the benefit of the entire activity, you would think that an independent body of qualified music, dance, theater types (people firmly not affiliated with the activity) should be given a significant voice in designing/defining much of the the fundamental content, while also keeping it proportionately in line with what consumers of the activity demand/suggest (based on research).

Once we clean up WHO determines the WHAT on the sheets, that will bring more validity and confidence in the WHAT that is on the sheets. Then we can move to who is judging the what, with the hope of expanding the judging pool to include qualified people within the music, dance and theater professions, and not having to rely so much on qualified people naturally influenced by the history or societal mental models of success within contemporary, competitive drum corps.

This is not to suggest that our current judges are not qualified or do not possess credible backgrounds as a result of their experience and education outside of the drum corps activity (they clearly do have great "qualifications"), but as the OP suggests, perhaps their vast drum corps knowledge, experience, and internal relationships can negatively affect their ability to be impartial in using their "subjective perspective" over time. After all, they're only human.

I agree with you BRASSO. The way I see it, the judges do a lot for this activity They are evolved in a great activity year round with these talented kid. Some teach, some work winter guard etc. A good thing about this year, DCI is trying to change thing with the new sheets. For the past 20+ years the top 7 corps have been there. They must be doing some right. I have seen several corps shows live this year and all are enjoyable in their own right. I do think that Boston has a special show this year and are under scored IMO. Have a great day.

Just some food for thought.

A good thing about this year, DCI is trying to change thing with the new sheets.

What was the result of those changes so far? Frankly, not much at all. The results of those experimental sheets were pretty consistent with the status quo sheets they were already using. That means one of two things:

1. There's no need to change the current sheets, the result is the same.

2. It's a flawed approach to have the decision making of content on either of the two sets of judge's sheets be done by the exact same group of people. (Same people, same approach, same result.)

For the past 20+ years the top 7 corps have been there. They must be doing some right.

Or the governing body must be doing something wrong. Is it possible that because we don't see that kind of low championship turnover in other competitive activities (i.e., High School, College, or Professional Sports... even in local bowling or softball community leagues.), that we're doing something comparatively wrong as a "Major League" circuit?

Some of these folks have been around for more than 30 years .... Marie Czapinski (sp.?) was a guard judge when I was in high school, and I graduated in 1980!

I guess something can be said for "knowledge" of her subject matter!

One thing to keep in mind is that ALL of the corps leadership meet in the off season and "tweak" the rules/judging etc. ... this is where we got the "new" sheets ... and other changes through the years ...

And, this year with the TOC, each of the 8 corps gets to actually chat with a judge liaison about the score(s) ....

Edited by ashevillemurphy