How many think Cadets 2 will be the death of other corps

I just thought of something; what if Cadets2 does go DCA, and the kids say, "Hey, I like not having to tote speakers and synths around. Not having all that electronic crap is cool! And if I hear "This We Believe" one more time, I'm gonna hurt somebody. Screw DCI; DCA is where it's at!" Would that send a message?

Also, what is there to keep a group from forming another junior corps circuit, leaving "Electro-Corps" in the dust (go back to 128 members, reasonable tours, no electronics/narration/sampling, etc. (I guess Bb/F is here to stay; not necessarily a bad thing))? Isn't that basically what happened when the Combine was formed (resulting in DCI), and the AL and VFW rules and regs sort of faded away? I would think that a number of current DCI corps would jump at the chance, seeing that it would decrease their expenses almost overnight, and the kids would like it as well, since they wouldn't have to be a 20-year music performance or dance major at Julliard (yeah, I'm being sarcastic) to even have a remote chance of getting in . It could be sort of an "everything old is new again" scenario. Thoughts?

Edited by davidp

And in a couple of years, the creative staff at Cadets2 will start asking for rules changes so their genius isn't stifled and probably throw in how tough it is for "the kids" to transition to a DCI corps when DCA rules are different. And they'll get their way. And in 2020 or when DCA and the brain-trust here is sitting around asking "WTF happened to DCA?", PM me and I'll explain it to you then.

What makes you think they will get their way?

The member corps that make decisions on change are not easily bullied, and are not "new" to these processes. Some have been affiliated since before the inception of DCI.

This isn't their first rodeo. In addition, this sure is getting a lot of attention or something that hasn't even happened yet. Seems like a lot of panic for "it may happen".

The start of this potential new DCA corps is no more threat, then any other new corps, it's called keeping the activity alive.

You may have little faith in the capabilities of DCA, it's decision making member corps but they've been around for quite some time. Surviving the cyclical changes our our society, this is no different.

Changes will be made, they have been for the past 40 plus years, and some changes will be sure to #### off some of the previous generation, but it does not equate to the demise of the organization, in almost all cases, it actually makes it stronger, even if it's not "Back in my day..........."

• Like 1

If I didn't know any better, reading through some of these responses I would think either George Hopkins shows up at drum corps meetings holding other Directors at gun point OR that the other Directors are just a bunch of sheep without a mind or opinion of their own....

• Like 1

If I didn't know any better, reading through some of these responses I would think either George Hopkins shows up at drum corps meetings holding other Directors at gun point OR that the other Directors are just a bunch of sheep without a mind or opinion of their own....

Actually you have to give him credit. He takes the hits... But I don't think anyone can deny he's one of the main thinkers behind DCI strategy and current direction.

What makes you think they will get their way?

DCI Staff is now rooted in the band and WGI experiences and performance styles. Apparently, many believe that those activities are cooler, more 'progressive' than drum corps. In fact, I suspect we are probably seeing a generation of staff whose primary alligance is to band. These folks want the creative license to realize their musical dreams and they apparently require the use synths, woodwinds, amps, etc. As others have pointed out the interconnection between DCI and DCA staff, I can see a campaign being waged to bring DCA up to date. I strongly suspect one of the bastions of this mode of thought and action will come from the C2 staff. But with the interplay between WGI, band and instructors, I'm sure they will find allies. I'm not some conspiracy theorist-this is a pretty plausible scenario.

DCI Staff is now rooted in the band and WGI experiences and performance styles. Apparently, many believe that those activities are cooler, more 'progressive' than drum corps. In fact, I suspect we are probably seeing a generation of staff whose primary alligance is to band. These folks want the creative license to realize their musical dreams and they apparently require the use synths, woodwinds, amps, etc. As others have pointed out the interconnection between DCI and DCA staff, I can see a campaign being waged to bring DCA up to date. I strongly suspect one of the bastions of this mode of thought and action will come from the C2 staff. But with the interplay between WGI, band and instructors, I'm sure they will find allies. I'm not some conspiracy theorist-this is a pretty plausible scenario.

Newsflash: The folks teaching most DCA corps have just as much involvement in band and indoor guard/percussion as anyone in DCI does.

Newsflash: The folks teaching most DCA corps have just as much involvement in band and indoor guard/percussion as anyone in DCI does.

And it's been that way for AT LEAST 20-25 years now.

• Like 2

Come on now, John... don't you know that DCA staffs are knuckle-draggers who haven't had a creative thought in 40 years?

All they do is copy stuff that's been done before.

:lol::lol::lol:

Every time I see this thread title I have an image of the Cadets2 sneaking into hotel rooms and gyms at night and murdering other corps while they sleep. Or setting up tripwires and digging pits on the field or something.

Mike

And it's been that way for AT LEAST 20-25 years now.

make that over 50 years