Santa Clara Vanguard - GE Music and Brass Scores

I WOULD SAY - SANTA CLARA VANGUARD has stepped in the RIGHT DIRECTION with the PERCUSSION. This year the PERCUSSION SECTION has beaten EVERY DRUM LINE IN DCI.

Was it because the kids were too young?

Was it because they didnt like the music?

Was it because they didnt have enough training?

IT WAS BECAUSE the VANGUARD ADMINISTRATION went out and GOT THE BEST PERCUSSION INSTRUCTOR THERE IS.

That is what GAIL ROYER used to do!

PETER EMMONS, FRED SANFORD, and HIMSELF...C

WELL the TIME HAS COME!

The ADMINISTRATION needs to GO OUT and GET A BRASS ARRANGER! The BEST THERE IS! PERIOD!

The ADMINISTRATION needs to GO OUT and GET A BRASS STAFF that can TEACH in the style of the NEW BRASS ARRANGER!

THE TIME HAS COME!

Throw away the key, and LOCK THE DOOR!!!

• Like 2

As far as becoming a member of the creative staff, thanks but that’s not my line of work. I do however have a suggestion. Part of SCV’s tradition and success was the exploration of music by Russian composers. I would love to see SCV do something from Shostakovich. Here’s a link to a piece I’d love to see:

So, what is your line of work? Complaining on the Internet? I just think if you're not going to offer suggestion for them to get better, or join the staff, I really don't know what your place is to try and degrade both the staff's work and the kid's work. Yeah, you're an alum, but your time has passed, it's time for my generation to take over the reins of the corps, and lead it to success.

• Like 6

The ADMINISTRATION needs to GO OUT and GET A BRASS ARRANGER! The BEST THERE IS! PERIOD!

The ADMINISTRATION needs to GO OUT and GET A BRASS STAFF that can TEACH in the style of the NEW BRASS ARRANGER!

THE TIME HAS COME!

The brass staff has been in place for one year, they need some time to adjust and get the corps working.

And there is really nothing wrong with the brass arranger, but apparently Key kicked your puppy at some point, and I'm sorry about that. But he really does great work transferring some great source music to the field.

• Like 5

There seems to be a lot of hate on this thread, and an issue now about what's more important - the competitive aspect or the educational aspect. Well, I would definitely choose the educational aspect (when Joe Blow Snuffy was lucky enough to make the Imaginary Brassmen from Podunk, AnyState, he left that Summer and returned home as the smartest guy his town had ever seen!!!)

In talks with my fiancee over DCI, we mentioned the scenario of the competitive aspect of the activity being completely done away with. The world of symphonies would have their New York and Chicago Phil's, and the world of marching arts would have their Cavaliers and Spirits of Atlanta, etc. There would be no competition, but there would be high-class organizations of music and field pageantry. A good question is - will any of us in the world who think it's not about "winning" be comfortable with a world of drum & bugle corps with no Drum Corps International League or competition to add to the activity?

DISCLAIMER: In my four years marching, I'd never won a DCI championship. So no, I don't know how it feels. Oh well...

And to those who just CAN'T STAND people who are only about winning, here's a little joke (an old one) that might lighten your mood. This joke is based on a true story:

There once was a young man who wanted a DCI Championship more than anything. It was the year 1992, and the Cavaliers were the DCI World Champions! The young man decided to go there and get his ring. Unfortunately for him, The Cadets of Bergen County ended up beating them to the top. So....he went to the Cadets in 1994. Unfortunately for him....again....the Cadets did not win, as the Blue Devils beat them for the win. So - it's his ageout. He's gotta make it count! He goes to Concord and marches for the Blue Devils. And yes...unfortunately for him...they did not win. They were beat by the young man's very first corps he marched for...ye olde Cavaliers. If he only stuck it out...but hopefully his educational experience overpowered his competitive thirst. And the moral of the story? Well...that's up to you." ;)

• Like 1

How about when you turn in your resume, for that ever more infrequent music teacher positions, that states you spent three years with xyz corps, a DCI World Class organization and the next person’s resume states they spent three years as a member of the Concord Blue Devils and won 2 DCI World Championships. If all else is equal, whose resume has the edge?

I've stayed out of this thread entirely, but this is a joke - 99.9% of principals and school 'hr' type people have never heard of DCI, and wouldn't care in the slightest where you marched, or if you 'won a ring' there. For my teaching resume, including for marching band jobs, i used to put that I marched cadets, but I didn't distinguish between the year I won and the years i didn't. I figured if the person knew the difference, they would ask, and if they didnt, they obviously wouldn't care.

Now that I am in a job that has nothing to do with music, I dont even bother listing drum corps experience. What I learned in corps (which had little to do with winning, or music and marching for that matter) is what helped me get a job - not the names or titles

• Like 6

There seems to be a lot of hate on this thread, and an issue now about what's more important - the competitive aspect or the educational aspect. Well, I would definitely choose the educational aspect (when Joe Blow Snuffy was lucky enough to make the Imaginary Brassmen from Podunk, AnyState, he left that Summer and returned home as the smartest guy his town had ever seen!!!)

In talks with my fiancee over DCI, we mentioned the scenario of the competitive aspect of the activity being completely done away with. The world of symphonies would have their New York and Chicago Phil's, and the world of marching arts would have their Cavaliers and Spirits of Atlanta, etc. There would be no competition, but there would be high-class organizations of music and field pageantry. A good question is - will any of us in the world who think it's not about "winning" be comfortable with a world of drum & bugle corps with no Drum Corps International League or competition to add to the activity?

DISCLAIMER: In my four years marching, I'd never won a DCI championship. So no, I don't know how it feels. Oh well...

And to those who just CAN'T STAND people who are only about winning, here's a little joke (an old one) that might lighten your mood. This joke is based on a true story:

There once was a young man who wanted a DCI Championship more than anything. It was the year 1992, and the Cavaliers were the DCI World Champions! The young man decided to go there and get his ring. Unfortunately for him, The Cadets of Bergen County ended up beating them to the top. So....he went to the Cadets in 1994. Unfortunately for him....again....the Cadets did not win, as the Blue Devils beat them for the win. So - it's his ageout. He's gotta make it count! He goes to Concord and marches for the Blue Devils. And yes...unfortunately for him...they did not win. They were beat by the young man's very first corps he marched for...ye olde Cavaliers. If he only stuck it out...but hopefully his educational experience overpowered his competitive thirst. And the moral of the story? Well...that's up to you." ;)

Sorry, but the world we live in is all about competition. How do you get into the Chicago Phil? It's a competition! You supply a recording or do a blind audition to a bunch of people (Judges?) who will evaluate you on a subjective set of criteria and pick a winner to get the job. Sound familiar? If you have a band and are trying to get a record deal, same thing. If you are just trying to get a gig at a local bar, you're competing against other bands trying to get the gig as well. If you're playing your sax on the street corner you're competing against the mime and juggler on the other corners for someones spare change. The Chicago Phil is competing for your money against all the other forms of entertainment out there. When you apply for any job, it's a competition and you better be prepared to win that job and better know how to deal with not getting it should you come up short.

Getting rid of the competitive aspect of DCI would kill the activity and would do a disservice to the kids in the corps. Competing, winning and losing teach invaluable lessons that need to be learned.

Edited by scv_chuck

Sorry, but the world we live in is all about competition. How do you get into the Chicago Phil? It's a competition! You supply a recording or do a blind audition to a bunch of people (Judges?) who will evaluate you on a subjective set of criteria and pick a winner to get the job. Sound familiar? If you have a band and are trying to get a record deal, same thing. If you are just trying to get a gig at a local bar, you're competing against other bands trying to get the gig as well. If you're playing your sax on the street corner you're competing against the mime and juggler on the other corners for someones spare change. The Chicago Phil is competing for your money against all the other forms of entertainment out there. When you apply for any job, it's a competition and you better be prepared to win that job and better know how to deal with not getting it should you come up short.

Getting rid of the competitive aspect of DCI would kill the activity and would do a disservice to the kids in the corps. Competing, winning and losing teach invaluable lessons that need to be learned.

Well I didn't say the competitive aspect of the activity is NOT the reason to march, Mr. Defensive! GOSH! :rock: lol I suppose in a heated thread such as this one, I should have included a disclaimer about what I felt on every aspect of the drum corps activity, including life itself, why God invented drum corps, and why Santa Clara Vanguard rocks the hizzouse! But since you're bringing up adding competition to all aspects of life, I'll retort. I AGREE with you on that. But what do you say to the person that argues, "That competitive aspect is PART OF THE EDUCATIONAL aspect of the activity." Do you say, "No, the debate is over whether which part is more important!", or "Okay, the educational aspect is a bigger picture of the competitive part." Or do you say, "You don't know what you're talking about." ?

With the attitude I'm sensing from a lot of defensive people on this thread, I just want to express that I'm not taking any sides on this matter - and that maybe we all should just embrace the fact that experience is experience, and that the competition in DCI is what fuels performers to strive for excellence, and that the education you get from it is also extremely valuable to life itself. I for one switched drum corps for that very reason (competition) - because I wanted to be in the most talented drumline at the time. And I loved my first drum corps for the experience it gave me, but I wanted to be a "player" in the activity. Phew! Wow.

If I was of marching age for DCI and somebody asked me if I would like to do 33 exhibitions of the same show for 9 weeks in the hot summer, I'd tell them " forget it ". I'd rather drive a cab around town with my summer.

Exhibitions ? Non competition would excite me as a marcher about as much as watching 33 buses fill up with diesel fuel every day.

All summer long exhibitions would get stale pretty quick too, imo.. maybe by show exhibition #3 too, let alone show exhibition # 33.

Exhibitions. What a demonic idea. Perish the thought.

Edited by BRASSO

I WOULD SAY - SANTA CLARA VANGUARD has stepped in the RIGHT DIRECTION with the PERCUSSION. This year the PERCUSSION SECTION has beaten EVERY DRUM LINE IN DCI.

Was it because the kids were too young?

Was it because they didnt like the music?

Was it because they didnt have enough training?

IT WAS BECAUSE the VANGUARD ADMINISTRATION went out and GOT THE BEST PERCUSSION INSTRUCTOR THERE IS.

That is what GAIL ROYER used to do!

PETER EMMONS, FRED SANFORD, and HIMSELF...C

WELL the TIME HAS COME!

THE TIME HAS COME!

What's Jim Prime doing? tongue.gif

If I was of marching age for DCI and somebody asked me if I would like to do 33 exhibitions of the same show for 9 weeks in the hot summer, I'd tell them " forget it ". I'd rather drive a cab around town with my summer.

Exhibitions ? Non competition would excite me as a marcher about as much as watching 33 buses fill up with diesel fuel every day.

All summer long exhibitions would get stale pretty quick too, imo.. maybe by show exhibition #3 too, let alone show exhibition # 33.

Exhibitions. What a demonic idea. Perish the thought.

Yet if someone asked you to play in the orchestra for a summer musical, you'd likely be interested?

Mike