Blue Stars vs. Boston for 2012 TOC Spot...

I think some have forgotten that the original G7 proposal was rejected. The TOC shows that actually took place adopted the show-format ideas of the original proposal, but hardly anything else.

It adopted most of the financial aspects of the G7 "super show" concept, which was arguably (for those corps), the most important aspect. The 8 corps stood to make significantly more on those dates then they did doing someone else's show with a regular line-up. Even if only $5k rather than $2500, that's like adding 6 shows without having to travel (and I suspect it was much more than $5k).

But the concept was experimental, so we'll see what happens. Personally, I'd like to see the encores arranged so that the next corps is setting up during the encore, and the 8th slot being occupied by whoever the geographically closest non-7 finalist is (with full financial participation for that corps). That would be a way of tightening up the running times and making it less threatening to non-7 Finalists.

And do I have to point out that the 7...well....they're still the 7. They must know what they're doing. :tongue:

Edited by mobrien

If i had options of shows with

Cadets

Cavaliers

Phantom

Bluecoats

Blue Knights

Blue Stars

Glassmen

Academy

Crossmen

and

Blue Devils

Carolina Crown

SCV

Boston

Madison

Spirit

Troopers

Colts

If there are three tours moving from contest to contest, just take your list and go in groups of three.

I Think the top 8 should be

The Cadets

Blue Devils

Cavaliers

Carolina Crown

Phantom Regiment

Madison Scouts

Blue Coats

Blue Stars

My reasoning in not including Santa Clara Vanguard is that they rarely get the crowd on their feet. The Blue Stars and the Madison Scouts are most definitely more Exciting. To me, "Elite" is not just a Prestigious word. Its more explaining excitement, Precision, Finesse, Power, and the crowd factor. If DCI wants to make more money then just Sponsorship Dollars and the 50,000+ ticket sales, with this Tour of Champions idea, then They need to put out an exciting product.. not just a boring marching band (it's a marching band from an average joe's perspective)

Edited by playsthekeys
  • Like 3

Well there have been two ways of defining the G8/TOC that I've seen thrown around. Either you had to be top 8 two of the last three years (to catch Phantom, which placed 9th in 2009) or you had to be top 8 just in the last year. Either way, Boston ought to be in.

If you just want to get the corps with the better recent record, Boston should be in. Obviously they outscored Blue Stars this year. Going back to 2010 or 2009 Boston has a better average ranking. Going back to 2008 they have the same average ranking. Past that, Boston has a better average ranking.

I'd prefer they do something different next year, and--taking a page from everyone who's complained about the top 8 not all being champions--just take the champions from the past 10 years (Cadets, Cavies, BD, and Phantom) and have them do a series of shows where they alternate their own shows with non-finalist WC and OC corps. They could still do a lot of the same extra things, but they'd also be featuring some other corps, driving attendance and souvie money to the corps that really need the boost.

My vote for that is YES!!!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

As someone who marched in OC for several years, I think it's a great idea! :satisfied:

Referring to the OP, I haven't heard any of those rumors (but what do I know?). From what I've heard before reading this thread The G8 are the previous year's top 8 corps regardless of anything else, and I think that's the way it should be. Boston definitely deserves a spot with the big dogs, they've been improving dramatically since 2008 and were technically already in the G8 after the 2009 season. I'll even go as far as to call that they will stay in the G8 next year too, regardless of whether they're in the TOC or not.

And even if they aren't put in, the Blue Stars should be out. No offense to them, I have two friends that marched with them this year and I loved their show, but scores are scores. If Boston and Madison aren't going to get worse and the Blue Knights keep improving, the Blue Stars aren't getting back in too soon.

• Like 2

If you just want to get the corps with the better recent record, Boston should be in. Obviously they outscored Blue Stars this year. Going back to 2010 or 2009 Boston has a better average ranking. Going back to 2008 they have the same average ranking. Past that, Boston has a better average ranking.

Just a nit: even using 2008 as the start, Boston actually ranks higher on average than Blue Stars. 10th, 7th, 9th, 8th beats 8th, 8th, 8th, 11th.

The Blue Stars and the Madison Scouts are most diffidently more exciting.

Um, really?

"dif·fi·dent ... Lacking or marked by a lack of self-confidence; shy and timid."