Favorite unnoticed drum corps show nuances?

I remember in 2005 Cadets Zone show. When the girl came out of the door with the princess hat, she looked confused and lost, then she noticed her hat and dress and realized she was a princes in this dream and that the guard members were pawns and such. then she started acting like a princess and ordering the pawns around. It was a little thing but really showed how much thought was put into the details of the storyline.

If I know what you're referring to, you can see it pretty good on the Atlanta multicam video on FN at 7:40 for horns down (again at 12:50). They do the exact reverse for horns up, but I couldn't find a good shot on FN. Is that what you're talking about? My daughter told me the reason they do that and it's a pretty amazing story. I'll get it from her again to make sure I get it right and post it later.

Yep...that's it. I hyped it every time.

And yes...the story IS very cool. :smile:

• Like 1

The Glassmen had an off year... for them. However, they did have a segment in their show this year that I thought was quite creative and innovative. I had never seen a Corps do this before, and I thought it was a cool effect.

Do posters here remember the Glassmen Guard that produced the sound effects on the flags when they twirled them along the front sidelines in a brief segment of their show ?

I think they just might be onto something here, that we may someday see and hear again.. either from them, or from some other Corps doing something similar in the future. Anybody here know how the Glassmen created the sound effects on the twirling flags like this in their show ? I'm still not sure how they did this, as I only saw them in performance once this year. How'd they do it ? Was it perhaps an unusual fabric of the flag banners themselves that they used to create the sound effect ?

I believe they were metallic flags that when spun would make sound just from their movement.

I thought that was a cool effect and didn't realize until hlafway through the effect that it was the flags making the sound.

What is the story?

(DCP police: Please don't remove; this was an "official" corps movie.)

You'll notice that Ms. Moroney does not have a left hand, rendering her incapable of quick horn moves. So, they invented a very slow horn move that she could execute. Still rocking it 25 years later.

• Like 8

The Glassmen had an off year... for them. However, they did have a segment in their show this year that I thought was quite creative and innovative. I had never seen a Corps do this before, and I thought it was a cool effect.

Do posters here remember the Glassmen Guard that produced the sound effects on the flags when they twirled them along the front sidelines in a brief segment of their show ?

I think they just might be onto something here, that we may someday see and hear again.. either from them, or from some other Corps doing something similar in the future. Anybody here know how the Glassmen created the sound effects on the twirling flags like this in their show ? I'm still not sure how they did this, as I only saw them in performance once this year. How'd they do it ? Was it perhaps an unusual fabric of the flag banners themselves that they used to create the sound effect ?

I saw that in the semis webcast. Hard to say what the flag material was but I'd take a guess at some sort of silver paper.

I believe they were metallic flags that when spun would make sound just from their movement.

I thought that was a cool effect and didn't realize until hlafway through the effect that it was the flags making the sound.

Yes, my guess is that it had something to do with the flag( or a paper attachment as one poster said here ) or something. I did not think it was an artificially created sound effect at the time either, but really wasn't sure.

I remember watching their show, and then.. bam... I saw them spin the flags and heard this very cool sound from flags that I don't recall hearing before in a Corps. The Corps was smart enough in this segment to make sure that no other section of the Corps was making any competing sound too. The rest of the Corps fell silent when they began it, and when the Guard spun the flags along the front sidelines where it could not be missed, it gave off a very cool sound effect when they spun the flags. Kudos to the Glassmen for that nice touch there this year.

Edited by BRASSO

Cadets, 2011!

What a perfect subtle move to end a perfect show. The angels horns in white put their hand on the demon horns shoulders, forcing them to kneel in submission during the final horn chord, while the angels point to heaven while playing the last note with one hand on the horn.

The ultimate, dotting all your "i's" and crossing all your "t's."

• Like 1

Cadets, 2011!

What a perfect subtle move to end a perfect show. The angels horns in white put their hand on the demon horns shoulders, forcing them to kneel in submission during the final horn chord, while the angels point to heaven while playing the last note with one hand on the horn.

The ultimate, dotting all your "i's" and crossing all your "t's."

I can post about ten such effects from this show.

But...I...must...resist...

(honk)

I can post about ten such effects from this show.

But...I...must...resist...

(honk)

Too late, Garfield! (if that is your real name) :cool:

Resistance is futile, and I want to soak in every, last, little nuance of that instant all-time classic show, and I'm sure that on the FN, I didn't catch them all.

Go for it!

Edited by wvu80