Paid attendance figures for DCI World Championships

What is the definition of "viewer" in the Nielson world? Maybe some smart baritone player could help with the answer.

The poster did not offer up her knowledge on the Neilsen's ratings as " some smart baritone player ". She offered up here knowledge for us as someone that actually worked ( or works ) in this field ( and even had"Fred Windish" poster above graciously thanking her for her knowledgeable input on this here ). So this tag on this Barigirl78 poster by you was a bit smarmy and an oblique criticism of her background to provide us her knowledge in a field she is apparently far more qualified to speak on than most of us here. Lets not potentially drive off knowledgable posters on here that have an expertise in a non Drum Corps field that can share with us their knowledge that helps us better understand better the topic at hand... in this case, DCI viewership at off site venues.

Edited by BRASSO

The poster did not offer up his knowledge on the Neilsen's ratings as " some smart baritone player ". He offered up his knowledge for us as someone that actually worked ( or works ) in this field ( and even had"Fred Windish" poster above graciously thanking him for his knowledgeable input on this here ). So this tag on this Barigirl78 poster by you was a bit smarmy and an oblique criticism of his background to provide us his knowledge in a field he is apparently far more qualified to speak on than most of us here. Lets not potentially drive off knowledgable posters on here that have an expertise in a non Drum Corps field that can share with us their knowledge that helps us better understand better the topic at hand... in this case, DCI viewership at off site venues.

WTH? Jeesh, lighten up Francis. One of the two baris (whom I called "smart") has already replied.

Molehill, meet mountain.

• Like 2

WTH? Jeesh, lighten up Francis. One of the two baris (whom I called "smart") has already replied.

Molehill, meet mountain.

I'm relaxed as can be. I just requested that you treat the woman's knowledge with respect, thats all. Saying you wanted more info from " the smart baritone player " ( you had the poster's name ) was smarmy and snarky. You might want to consider lightening up yourself, as you could have handled your request to her for more info from her to you in a more gentlemanly manner. If you can't see that, I don't care. I'm relaxed with it either way.

Edited by BRASSO

barigirl78 -

Very helpful information. I appreciate you took time to share actual knowledge.

Yes, Barigirl78 does seem knowledgeable in this field, and her input was intelligently conveyed above too, imo... good form too,Fred.

• Like 1

I could envision how 380,224 " households " could translate into approx. 507,000 " viewers ", as its reasonable to assume that these" households" don't all have people just watching TV shows all alone in their " household". Plus, the majority of"households" now in America have more than 1 TV..

Also, in this article you cited ( from DCI itself in 2007 ) is that DCI itself estimated " over 30,000 were in attendance at the 2007 DCI fInals", and then broke down further that total Finals Night Attendance to 24,309 as PAID attendance for Finals Nite, 2007. DCI in their press release a few days ago cited this years( 2015 ) Paid attendance for Finals Night as 22, 085. DCI correctly ( and cleverly ) stayed with the comparison of 2015 Finals Nite paid attendance in Indianapolis as " record setting ", as they were on solid ground stating it in the worded fashion ( ie " in Indianapolis ") that the did. Thus, personally, I see no problem in DCI's PR press release at all.

Oh, I wasn't doubting the number posted initially. I was just quoting something from DCI I ran across that talked about the show.

• Like 1

As a point of clarification, I quoted "viewers", not households. Households can have more than one person watching at the same time... and that was the case here.

No doubt at all. I was just quoting an article from DCI, as it seemed relevant to the discussion. I was not doubting your numbers at all.

• Like 1

Yes, I mentioned this above on your behalf as well, barigirl78. MikeD is a good poster here and is usually quite perceptive on these things. Thats why I was a bit surprised he would not immediately pick up the difference between what you said above on the 2007 Finals Nite, 507,000 " viewers " and his choice to reply in the DCI PR press release from 2007 that stated there were 300,000 + " households " that were estimated to have watched the 2007 DCI Finals on TV. But its no big deal, imo. But you were correct though to state the difference between " households " and " viewers ". Both the 2007 DCI press release and your Neilsen comment above as such don't appear to be at odds at all, imo

That is why I prefaced my comment with this...

"BTW, just a a point of interest...this is from a dci.org article in 2007"...I was not doubting any of the numbers, and yes, I know households and individuals are not the same thing.

So to summarize, DCI Finals nite in Indianapolis had 24,638 in attendance ( both paid, and freebies ) and another offsite viewers in the pay per view subscriptions of an additional 4,500. Thus the total viewers ( both onsite, offsite ) for the Finals Nite here in 2015 in indy was 29,138.

DCI has had improved viewership while in Indy, and its press release seems accurate regarding its improved situation in Indy. For comparison purposes immediately before Indy on viewership however, DCI had an announced viewership for their 2007 DCI Finals Nite of over " 300,000 households ". ( with 24, 309 paid, and another 7,000 freebies or Corps marchers live at Finals Nite ). A DCP'er with apparent access to the Neilsen DCI ESPN broadcast has said that Neilsen estimated the total viewers of the Finals Nite in 2007 to be approx 507,000. So... the viewers that saw DCI Finals Nite in 2007 was approx. 530,000, and the viewers that saw DCI Finals here in 2015 was approx. 30,000. These are viewership numbers that have seemingly good science, and from unimpeachable sources( DCI, Neilsen ) too it would seem to me. Everything DCI has produced on these numbers looks legit to me. So its good info regarding the viewership numbers for Finals Nite.

To be accurate, the show was a two-hour highlight reel with a bunch of human interest stuff interspersed, not a broadcast of the entire champs show.

In any case, 500K is a nice number to see.

• Like 2

To be accurate, the show was a two-hour highlight reel with a bunch of human interest stuff interspersed, not a broadcast of the entire champs show.

In any case, 500K is a nice number to see.

Yes.. 500,000 viewers for 2007 Finals broadcast was indeed a good number. That said, I personally did not like the format of the highlight reel shortened clips of the Corps shows for that Finals show at all. It made for a chopped up version that really didn't serve either DCI, nor the Corps shows for that season all that well. There is a natural flow to each Corps show from beginning to end. Showing just a small snippet of the top 12 Corps show for that nite was just meh..... at best. But I do understand that there was a negotiated time allowed for the show with ESPN, so from that perspective anyway, it does explain why it was done in this fashion.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1