Paid attendance figures for DCI World Championships

Yes, even out of the 4,500 pay per viewers for Finals, its reasonable to assume a segment subscribed just to watch their Son, Daughter, Grandchild in the telecast as , for one reason or another, they were not going to be able to make it out to Indy. The fact that this segment could probably care less about the other 11 Corps shows is irrelevant. They are counted as viewers by DCI the same way as those that watched the entire 12 Corps shows in its entirety. So when DCI accurately states in their press release this week that they had 4,500 pay per VIEWERS for the 2015 Finals broadcast, thats the correct number of " viewers" they had, irrespective of these viewers levels of interest as viewers, or the time they spent watching the entire broadcast.

My understanding is that they actually had an average of 4 viewers per PPV client.

Actually, there may have been many more watching. I know people who purchased the feed and then had a house full over to watch. Also many band programs filled up their band rooms with students to watch. So the overall number of viewers is probably considerably higher.

this is true. I also know of actually many DCI parties that night. One had over 50 people at it. wonder how much was watched though..lol

As we head into the college football season, I know for a fact that at least 30% of the attendees to the Harvard- Yale Football Game each Fall won't remember a thing about the game they are supposedly watching as " viewers ". Their eyes are wide open in many cases, even out to the field, but they are so freakin' intoxicated they can't see a gawddamn thing ( lol!). But... they count them all in the attendance anyway.

Edited by BRASSO

well to that end there were 7 people in my house, if you count me as the 4500, that makes it 4506 viewers.

Let's see for DCA last year it was 2 people thru most of Prelims (once it started working). 1 for all of Alumni and another missing first hour and 2 for all of Finals.

Plus another (my 80+ year old father) for 2 Prelims corps when he came over for lunch. It was Govies and whoever was before as his main comment was about sore ##### coming from MN......

Man Neilsen those numbers....

Perhaps... along the same lines..... when DCI's press release was excitingly pleased to announce in 2007 that " 300,000 households " watched the 2007 Finals broadcast on ESPN , its likewise true that these "households " more than likely had more than 1 watching the Finals Telecast in their household. So the 2007 DCI figure of " 300,000 " was probably closer to the half a million viewer numbers that watched the 2007 DCI Finals.( as barigirl78 pointed out )

And to be more honest it's probably more like "2007 DCI had 300,000+ people who tunned into a two hour Championship broadcast for round 15 minutes"

And to be more honest it's probably more like "2007 DCI had 300,000+ people who tunned into a two hour Championship broadcast for round 15 minutes"

Hey I lasted 25 minutes..... but when things start around my bedtime on a work night........ :tounge2:

And its likely a quarter of the Finals Nite announced attendance were not in their seats when the Crossmen performed . And perhaps close to half the Cinema Prelims announced paid attendance probably never saw the Crossmen perform there either. But in your case cited, and the two of mine as well, to be honest, DCI counts them all as if they all did watch the Crossmen and all the other Corps that were available for viewing at Finals/ Cinema/ Computers but were not viewed at all, let alone " for 15 minutes ". But... count'em. Thats the only way to be consistent in doing this, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

And its likely a quarter of the Finals Nite announced attendance were not in their seats when the Crossmen performed . And perhaps close to half the Cinema Prelims announced paid attendance probably never saw the Crossmen perform there either. But in your case cited, and the two of mine as well, to be honest, DCI counts them all as if they all did watch the Crossmen and all the other Corps that were available for viewing at Finals/ Cinema/ Computers but were not viewed at all, let alone " for 15 minutes ". But... count'em. Thats the only way to be consistent in doing this, imo.

I had premium seats in Atlanta this year and the four seats next to me stayed empty until the final 6 corps took the field. I don't know how long they'd been there in the dome, but they didn't bother to sit down until BK took the field. They get counted as "paid attendance" but they're only partially there.

• Like 1

I had premium seats in Atlanta this year and the four seats next to me stayed empty until the final 6 corps took the field. I don't know how long they'd been there in the dome, but they didn't bother to sit down until BK took the field. They get counted as "paid attendance" but they're only partially there.

Yes. We see lots of late arrivals now. So many only care about the very top tier Corps. Even here on DCP, we find few people caring enough to learn anything about the non top 6 or so. There are lots of DCP'ers that come on here only when the top 4 or 5 or so come on. Its the same thing in the offseason. So many campers that get cut from the same top 4 or 5 Corps simply go home. They have no interest marching Drum Corps after that. It is what it is. I don't see it much changing in the future, and so thats that.

Edited by BRASSO

Yes. We see lots of late arrivals now. So many only care about the very top tier Corps. Even here on DCP, we find few people caring enough to learn anything about the non top 6 or so. There are lots of DCP'ers that come on here only when the top 4 or 5 or so come on. Its the same thing in the offseason. So many campers that get cut from the same top 4 or 5 Corps simply go home. They have no interest marching Drum Corps after that. It is what it is. I don't see it much changing in the future, and so thats that.

we've always seen late arrivals.

• Like 1