Paid attendance figures for DCI World Championships

I would not recommend that we begin to define " viewers " in DCI however as those that were there for " the whole show ", as then we would be naturally required then to take out of the total attendance at shows those who arrived late at the cinemas, or" skipped off" before retreat, awards ceremonies, scores, etc.. And what about those who came in to watch just their favorite corps then left ?. Heck, half the shows I've been to over the recent years, attendees were still out in the parking lots when the shows started with Corps on the field. They were not there for " the full show "either ".We should count these people however, as they did view or go to the show. That should be enough, imo... and we shouldn't make the requirements for viewers or attendees that they had to watch " the full show " in order to have validity to be included in the DCI numbers as a viewer or attendee.

so then in sports do we not count those that paid but never showed?

So to summarize, DCI Finals nite in Indianapolis had 24,638 in attendance ( both paid, and freebies ) and another offsite viewers in the pay per view subscriptions of an additional 4,500. Thus the total viewers ( both onsite, offsite ) for the Finals Nite here in 2015 in indy was 29,138.

DCI has had improved viewership while in Indy, and its press release seems accurate regarding its improved situation in Indy. For comparison purposes immediately before Indy on viewership however, DCI had an announced viewership for their 2007 DCI Finals Nite of over " 300,000 households ". ( with 24, 309 paid, and another 7,000 freebies or Corps marchers live at Finals Nite ). A DCP'er with apparent access to the Neilsen DCI ESPN broadcast has said that Neilsen estimated the total viewers of the Finals Nite in 2007 to be approx 507,000. So... the viewers that saw DCI Finals Nite in 2007 was approx. 530,000, and the viewers that saw DCI Finals here in 2015 was approx. 30,000. These are viewership numbers that have seemingly good science, and from unimpeachable sources( DCI, Neilsen ) too it would seem to me. Everything DCI has produced on these numbers looks legit to me. So its good info regarding the viewership numbers for Finals Nite.

DCI finals nite on ESPn was also aout a month after it happened

I'm relaxed as can be. I just requested that you treat the woman's knowledge with respect, thats all. Saying you wanted more info from " the smart baritone player " ( you had the poster's name ) was smarmy and snarky. You might want to consider lightening up yourself, as you could have handled your request to her for more info from her to you in a more gentlemanly manner. If you can't see that, I don't care. I'm relaxed with it either way.

show me where he insulted her intelligence?

good lord, you do dig for anything you can to stir the pot

I am glad to see the attendance uptrends apply to open class as well as world class.

I just noticed something unusual. When DCI originally issued their 2014 attendance press release on September 17th, they reported the two-day paid attendance for open class in Michigan City as 1,455. That number was later changed to 1,581. There is no notation about an "update" or "correction".

show me where he insulted her intelligence?

good lord, you do dig for anything you can to stir the pot

Nobody here has to show YOU anything if they don't want to. And with that insulting overture from you, I choose not too. So you can move along now. Nothing to see here from me, as I'm not taking the bait ( besides, I never ever claimed above that he " insulted her intelligence ", so don't insult ours with that false, cheap, remark )

Edited by BRASSO

I am glad to see the attendance uptrends apply to open class as well as world class.

I just noticed something unusual. When DCI originally issued their 2014 attendance press release on September 17th, they reported the two-day paid attendance for open class in Michigan City as 1,455. That number was later changed to 1,581. There is no notation about an "update" or "correction".

Yes, I noticed that too. They probably needed to mention an update, but forgot. The numbers change added 126 to the total. Small change, to be sure.

Is there a minimum viewing time for a viewer to be counted as such under the Nielson system?

5 min? 30 min?

To have validity as a "viewer" wouldn't there have to be a presumption that the viewer would stay for a full show before they skipped off to some other sport?

I'll explain again and perhaps with more detail. Most of the time when ratings (which are percentages) or viewers or households are quoted for a TV show, it is the number of viewers to the average minute of a program. Every minute in the program has a "number of viewers" estimate to it. But, the number quoted is the average of all the minutes.

If you are watching a show for a minute, you can count as a viewer for that minute, but you don't count as a viewer to any of the other minutes. If you are watching every minute of the show, you count as a viewer in every minute of the show.

If, somehow, you had a show that was only 5 minutes long, the calculation would go like this:

Minute 1: 480,000 viewers

Minute 2: 495,000 viewers

Minute 3: 505,000 viewers

Minute 4: 520,000 viewers

Minute 5: 500,000 viewers

Average: 500,000 viewers

The average is what is quoted as the number of viewers to the program. The technical term for it if you saw the raw Nielsen report is "average audience". "AA" for short. Almost all the time that people are talking about ratings or viewing to TV shows it is the average audience of the show.

On rare occasions, networks may do a trick in their press releases of quoting the cumulative audience. The cumulative audience would be a measure of the total number of people who watched for any period of time with the minimum being a minute. That's usually a larger number of people than the average audience because the people who watched for just a few minutes get counted equally with those who watched longer.

Both DCI and myself quoted the average audience, not the cumulative audience.

If that's not clear, let me know what more I can explain.

(As an aside, this measurement has been complicated by DVR's. When people watch later and fast forward through the commercials or the boring parts, they don't count as watching the minutes they are fast forwarding through. This lowers the overall average viewers to the show. You would only count for the minutes you watch and they average all minutes)

Edited by barigirl78

Only question I have is how the measurements are obtained. Sounds a lot more involved than ye olde handy dandy log book from years past. Have seen mention of electronics connected to viewers TVs to measure but didn't read the details on that.

Thanks.....

Trying to remember if we had to mark down what time(s) or length of time we watched a certain show when we did the Neilsen thing. Just too many years ago but the log book could hold a lot if needed. Some of the questions and BariGirls comments are jogging memory cells but too long ago...

But you did not have to watch the whole show to log it. I do remember instructions for logging multiple shows for the same block of time (ie 800-830)..

That's the diary system. The national ratings use meters attached to TV sets and any other device that you can watch TV on. Diaries are only still used to measure local market ratings in smaller markets. The larger markets use meters, too. The meters can measure in smaller increments than diaries did.

Nielsen operates a national ratings system to measure the whole country and a local market system to provide ratings for just the local markets that stations operate in. There are 210 local markets. The largest in New York. The smallest is Glendive with just 4,700 households.

National ratings have not used diaries in any form since 1987 when the "Peoplemeter" was introduced. Prior to that, they were used nationally to provide demographic information on top of a "household meter" system.

This wikipedia article isn't bad at explaining what a Peoplemeter does: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_meter

One other thing not covered in any of what I've said is the concept of ratings "streams". Because a lot of people timeshift now and don't necessarily watch a show the same day it airs, there are different types of ratings estimates based on when people watched. There's the Live rating, the Live + Same Day rating, the Live + 3 Days rating, and the Live + 7 Days rating.

I pulled up an old file to get the 508,000 estimate. I forgot to look at what the stream was. It was the Live + Same Day rating. That's anyone who watched Live or watched timeshifted on their DVR by 3AM the day it aired. I think the Live + 7 days figure would be a little higher.

If you encounter "overnight" ratings for TV shows, it is the Live + Same Day rating. Those are available the next day. You have to wait a little longer for the Live + 3 or Live + 7.

Edited by barigirl78
  • Like 1

I'll explain again and perhaps with more detail. Most of the time when ratings (which are percentages) or viewers or households are quoted for a TV show, it is the number of viewers to the average minute of a program. Every minute in the program has a "number of viewers" estimate to it. But, the number quoted is the average of all the minutes.

If you are watching a show for a minute, you can count as a viewer for that minute, but you don't count as a viewer to any of the other minutes. If you are watching every minute of the show, you count as a viewer in every minute of the show.

If, somehow, you had a show that was only 5 minutes long, the calculation would go like this:

Minute 1: 480,000 viewers

Minute 2: 495,000 viewers

Minute 3: 505,000 viewers

Minute 4: 520,000 viewers

Minute 5: 500,000 viewers

Average: 500,000 viewers

The average is what is quoted as the number of viewers to the program. The technical term for it if you saw the raw Nielsen report is "average audience". "AA" for short. Almost all the time that people are talking about ratings or viewing to TV shows it is the average audience of the show.

On rare occasions, networks may do a trick in their press releases of quoting the cumulative audience. The cumulative audience would be a measure of the total number of people who watched for any period of time with the minimum being a minute. That's usually a larger number of people than the average audience because the people who watched for just a few minutes get counted equally with those who watched longer.

Both DCI and myself quoted the average audience, not the cumulative audience.

If that's not clear, let me know what more I can explain.

(As an aside, this measurement has been complicated by DVR's. When people watch later and fast forward through the commercials or the boring parts, they don't count as watching the minutes they are fast forwarding through. This lowers the overall average viewers to the show. You would only count for the minutes you watch and they average all minutes)

Man, this is good stuff.. very educational... and helps many of us here understand how these viewer calculations are traditionally done. Thanks for this additional info, barigirl78. I've enjoyed learning some new things here this morning.