Corps Songs

I think there are really two different topics here.

Many corps have a "Signature" song, like Boston's Conquest, 27th Lancers' Danny Boy, Crossmen's Russian Christmas Music, etc. Most corps have a "signature".

Along with those, there are also "Corps Songs", which in many cases are NEVER performed on the field, but have words and are sung by the corps as they are passed down from generation to generation. In most cases, I think the "corps song" sung by it members is more prevalent among the older corps. Thinking Cadets, Madison, Boston, Cavies, Troopers, etc.

In Boston's case, "Giant" is sung by the drum corps before every show and with the alumni at special events. The melody was taken from the soundtrack of the movie "Giant" (James Dean, 1957) and the words were written by corps members somewhere around 1962. The corps song is a VERY serious matter, and I'm sure that's the case with some of the other corps mentioned.

And it is VERY cool, at BAC's annual Spring Fling in June to see current corps members and former members in their 60's singing it together.... :thumbup:

• Like 3

The bluecoats have actually had two corps songs.

Back in the 70's the corps song was "Bridge over troubled water" by Simon and Garfunkel.

in 1987 after making finals the second tune in our show just became special to the corps and thus the start of autumn Leaves as a corps song. I'm not sure when it actually started being sung by the corps, but they now sing the song at various times as well as play it many times and during special occasions.

the corps performed Bridge at least once if not twice in their show in the 70's, and have performed Autumn Leaves 3 times (1987, 1988, & 1998)

So why hasn't DCI made some collection of these signature songs? I figure this would make a really cool CD that a lot of fans would buy. I remember that there were CDs that were once sold that featured famous chorales, marches, and jazz hits from corps' shows. Not to mention the Ornaments of Brass CD where corps played holiday music.

• Like 1

Spirit of Atlanta - "Georgia On My Mind" AND "Salvation is Created"

We play Salvation during show warm up and Georgia at the end of warm up. We also sing Salvation at the end of every day and after every show. <(

Cascades plays Imagine at the close of every camp, at their annual auction, and at their encores. I am sure there are other times these are just ones I know of. There usually is not a dry eye in the house.

Last year the pit had a song (Billionaire)they would sing before shows just them together. To hype themselves up. Not sure if each section does this or not or even if pit did it this year.

Is Pioneer's The Old 100/Doxology? That always seems to be their thing, not sure if it's their official corps song though.

And does BD have a corps song? I've never heard one mentioned for them, cause i know when the topic of corps playing their corps song for retreat in '09, that was cited as one of the reasons, not everyone having a corps song

And does BD have a corps song? I've never heard one mentioned for them, cause i know when the topic of corps playing their corps song for retreat in '09, that was cited as one of the reasons, not everyone having a corps song

We didn't when I marched..."California Dreamin'" was along those lines around 86, but it was short lived, from what I understand.

If there WAS to be a corps song for BD, I'd choose "Chase the Clouds Away." Jerry Seawright loved that chart...the alums and A/B corps hornlines played it at his memorial at the hall in 04.

Which brings up a question....how DO corps decide on a corps song? How did "Send in the Clowns" and "You'll Never Walk Alone" get decided on for SCV and Madison, for example?

Blue Devils don't have a single corps song. In fact they just take several sentimental favorites and sing just a few bars of each one prior to every show.

:tongue:

<runs away>

I think there are really two different topics here.

Many corps have a "Signature" song, like Boston's Conquest, 27th Lancers' Danny Boy, Crossmen's Russian Christmas Music, etc. Most corps have a "signature".

Along with those, there are also "Corps Songs", which in many cases are NEVER performed on the field, but have words and are sung by the corps as they are passed down from generation to generation. In most cases, I think the "corps song" sung by it members is more prevalent among the older corps. Thinking Cadets, Madison, Boston, Cavies, Troopers, etc.

In Boston's case, "Giant" is sung by the drum corps before every show and with the alumni at special events. The melody was taken from the soundtrack of the movie "Giant" (James Dean, 1957) and the words were written by corps members somewhere around 1962. The corps song is a VERY serious matter, and I'm sure that's the case with some of the other corps mentioned.

And it is VERY cool, at BAC's annual Spring Fling in June to see current corps members and former members in their 60's singing it together.... :thumbup:

One of the memorable things I've seen from the Cadet's 75th anniversary alumni event, was the hundreds of alumni there gathering with the 2009 corps and singing "Holy Name." There's a recording on that video site we don't talk about that I can't watch without becoming misty eyed.