DCA OPEN CLASS FINALS

to only drop 1 corps from prelims to finals seems rather pointless.

until DCA has 15 open class corps, they should make it top 8 for finals and add 1 class a corps.

top 8 open class

top 5 class A

I don't understand this remark. Is finals too long for you to remain interested? Are you only happy when someone gets excluded?

If somehow the number of open class corps that came to nationals dipped under 10 whats the harm of allowing all to go on? It has already been decided that 10 for Open and 3 for Class A is a workable number which provides for a good show. For some people, DCA finals is the only show they attend and you want to ensure that they dont get to see all the corps.

I say it's not broke. No, someone travels to compete. They should be finalists if they do well enough. If there were only 6 finalist spots and my corps wasn't going to break 90, no how, no way, it would be very difficult to justify the cost involved to perform one time and then get back on a bus and go home. Drum corps is a business. If that 11th corps had been the Kilties (as has often been the case) would we even be having this discussion?

That is my suspicion as well. There remain to this day people who still have a bug up their butts about how the Kilties came into DCA in the 90's. Well this is a completely different corps for some time now and the Kilties have done everything that they can to prove they are a serious organization committed to competitive excellence in DCA. To those people I say let it go already.

• Like 1

I don't understand this remark. Is finals too long for you to remain interested? Are you only happy when someone gets excluded?

If somehow the number of open class corps that came to nationals dipped under 10 whats the harm of allowing all to go on? It has already been decided that 10 for Open and 3 for Class A is a workable number which provides for a good show. For some people, DCA finals is the only show they attend and you want to ensure that they dont get to see all the corps.

Wow. way off.

That bold statement is totally opposite of what I stated.

I think its dumb to drop ONE corps. Not only does it make them feel like crap it only adds 15 minutes (which is already used up for their exhibition show) to finals to keep them in. Now if you drop 3 corps from finals...then it makes more sense. Finals is not too long and no I am not happy when corps get excluded. Just seems to be.... "unfair" to drop the 1 corps. (yea I know its their own fault for not making it to sunday night)

Im not getting this whole have to perform twice thing. Sure I understand how it would suck not to be in finals and costly But hey IT'S CALLED COMPETITION....get better at it...gezzzzzz...every form winter or summer has a prelims...isnt a prelims to cut out those not competitively up to a standard out of finals? Otherwise dont have a prelims at all........why not go to a dumb evaluatuion system where no scores are give ( like a few band circuirts around the coutry ) merely because some school systems dont want their kids hurt by competition and everyone gets a shiney toy to take home.......People are afraid that C2 will change things...Hell its changed already..wheres the fight and guts and competitive blood baths of yester year..............wheres the feeling of accomplishment if you make a finals and have beaten nooone.....well I guess to some it s doesnt matter as long as they can write FINALISTS on a web site :blink: ..........JMO..and I am glad Kilties are in ( to other poster ) they should have been in years that they didnt make it

Then start at noon and put on five alumni corps prior to prelims and five more prior to finals..... make it two full days of drum corps with folks deciding what time to arrive.......

Of course, I'd hate to be in that Class A corps that has to follow the Cabs alumni on Sunday....

All of this is possible only at the 2011 participation size of DCA. If expansion continues, as I hope it does, it would become too much. But right now, it would make for a 2-day festival of drum corps with all competing corps appearing twice and alumni once in return for their investment of making the trip to Maryland.

Joe Dz

ps: flooding is returning here in the Passaic River Valley, but the Falls look great (don't smell so good, though)

the stadium crew needs time to reorganize. you cant throw that much into one day.

Im not getting this whole have to perform twice thing. Sure I understand how it would suck not to be in finals and costly But hey IT'S CALLED COMPETITION....get better at it...gezzzzzz...every form winter or summer has a prelims...isnt a prelims to cut out those not competitively up to a standard out of finals? Otherwise dont have a prelims at all........why not go to a dumb evaluatuion system where no scores are give ( like a few band circuirts around the coutry ) merely because some school systems dont want their kids hurt by competition and everyone gets a shiney toy to take home.......People are afraid that C2 will change things...Hell its changed already..wheres the fight and guts and competitive blood baths of yester year..............wheres the feeling of accomplishment if you make a finals and have beaten nooone.....well I guess to some it s doesnt matter as long as they can write FINALISTS on a web site :blink: ..........JMO..and I am glad Kilties are in ( to other poster ) they should have been in years that they didnt make it

why does any circuit have a prelims and finals, and sometimes a semis, be it DCI, DCA, WGI?

as I said it used to be to eliminate

and that's what DCA did. they eliminated.

for years DCI let the 13th place corps perform in exhibition at finals. the last two years, DCA let the 11th place corps in Open Class perform in exhibition at finals.

and that's what DCA did. they eliminated.

for years DCI let the 13th place corps perform in exhibition at finals. the last two years, DCA let the 11th place corps in Open Class perform in exhibition at finals.

When did they do that? I don't remember any exhibitions other than the Open Class/Div2/Div3/Class A champ opening the show.

• Like 1