Cadets 2

I WOULD feel a bit better if "Lefty" Mayer were still around....

Elphaba

He passed away 27 years ago. With all due respect, don't you think it's time to move on?

• Like 1

He passed away 27 years ago. With all due respect, don't you think it's time to move on?

"Time to move on":

With all due respect: Henry Anthony "Lefty" Mayer passed away in 1975.

I would still feel better if he were still around.....

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01
  • Like 1

You are a bit out of line here ... Lefty started DCA and was a tremendous leader ... you don't "move on" from a person of his influence ... you learn and aspire to achieve his vision ...

Andy "I knew, loved and respected Lefty Mayer" Lisko

YIKES......$175 just to Register and Audition....

Does that go towards the remaining "tuition" if you pass the audition?

I'm WAY too old to audition for such a prestigious organiztion, but I am very curious. I may attend some rehearsals just to "check it out"...if I'm allowed!

Frank,

The sad thing is you are definitely not too old for today's DCA, along with a lot of other 'senior' members of many corps, but if the activity actually moves more towards a faster paced, higher physical demand it may mean a lot of very good drum corps folks won't have the stamina and/or young enough body joints to handle the pace.

However, there are two positive possibilities.

Maybe it will mean the birth of more alumni corps, or a return to larger memberships and higher quality in some alumni corps who are having trouble keeping memberships high.

Or here's one for you..............I've always thought there should be a competitive "senior circuit" like they have in golf. It could be called the DCA "masters" division. Like in some sports leagues (hockey, baseball) members would have to be 'at or over' a certain age to march. This division would have similar rules to DCA Open and Class A, except for some modifications. For example (and I'm just throwing out random thoughts here), no tempos over 150 bpm unless at a standstill. Box scores that had plus points for actual straight lines. Maybe even bring back the starting and finishing lines, and/or colour presentation! No original compositions in the music book. It wouldn't be a complete return to 60-70's drum corps, but rather an effort to retain some of the more traditional features.

There could be some good things for DCA out of this too. If DCA is losing some of its audience because some people don't like the DCI model and think DCA is moving in that direction, having a couple of "masters" corps competing in the show line-up would keep the dinosaurs around.

By the way, I'm a big fan of all drum corps styles (although I do admit to often tuning out when a corps' whole book is original compositions) so I'm not anti DCI or the current trend in DCA. I enjoy them all, but I'd also like to see more of the old style drum corps and as good as alumni corps are, making a competitive circuit could add some excitement.

Just thinking out of the box, so to speak!!

"Time to move on":

With all due respect: Henry Anthony "Lefty" Mayer passed away in 1975.

I would still feel better if he were still around.....

Elphaba

Actually he past away the very night that he became a Charter Member of the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame along with Vince Bruni (Founder of the WDCHOF), Jim Costello, Harvey Olderman, Vinnie Ratford and George Bull, and the day before DCA Championships in 1976. I too would feel much better if he were still with us. His foresight with regards to the direction of the activity was nothing more then stunning.

• Like 2

Whoa, Jeff. There you go again...

George Hopkins DID NOT have a voice in DCA with the Sunrisers. During the corps' affiliation with YEA! Gary Williams was director and the corps had its own administrative team. The YEA! affiliation had more to do with daily operations of the drum corps. George Hopkins had nothing to do with the creative direction or philosophy of the corps at that time. None of our design team came from YEA! None of our show concepts came from YEA! Not one rule change proposal came from or was influenced by YEA!

ONE TIME in the summer of '98 George Hopkins came and ran an ensemble rehearsal. Thankfully, it was the best rehearsal we had the entire summer!

Trust me when I tell you that the failure of the Sunrisers to continue fieding a corps in the late 90's had everything to do with the Sunrisers. YEA! did all it could to support our efforts and bears no responsibility in the demise of the corps at that time.

So in making your comment "didn't work out well", on what are you basing this? Where you there? I was... BTW, seems to me that we've had this same discussion in the past...even on ramd yet you continue to make the same claims which lack any basis whatsoever other than your own perception.

:thumbup: Well said George!!

• Like 1

Whoa, Jeff. There you go again...

George Hopkins DID NOT have a voice in DCA with the Sunrisers. During the corps' affiliation with YEA! Gary Williams was director and the corps had its own administrative team. The YEA! affiliation had more to do with daily operations of the drum corps. George Hopkins had nothing to do with the creative direction or philosophy of the corps at that time. None of our design team came from YEA! None of our show concepts came from YEA! Not one rule change proposal came from or was influenced by YEA!

ONE TIME in the summer of '98 George Hopkins came and ran an ensemble rehearsal. Thankfully, it was the best rehearsal we had the entire summer!

Trust me when I tell you that the failure of the Sunrisers to continue fieding a corps in the late 90's had everything to do with the Sunrisers. YEA! did all it could to support our efforts and bears no responsibility in the demise of the corps at that time.

So in making your comment "didn't work out well", on what are you basing this? Where you there? I was... BTW, seems to me that we've had this same discussion in the past...even on ramd yet you continue to make the same claims which lack any basis whatsoever other than your own perception.

Sure George. I'll go with what has been communicated by many here and elsewhere.

and it's nice to see Sun has a corps again.

Hmmmmm..must have been the Kilties marching 'true'. :lookaround:

nah I was up higher. thankfully, no major wind happened when the Kilties were on :tongue:

Actually he past away the very night that he became a Charter Member of the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame along with Vince Bruni (Founder of the WDCHOF), Jim Costello, Harvey Olderman, Vinnie Ratford and George Bull, and the day before DCA Championships in 1976. I too would feel much better if he were still with us. His foresight with regards to the direction of the activity was nothing more then stunning.

quick question...

wasn't he pushing for 3 valve brass back in the day? So maybe he would have been more forward thinking than people want to admit?