Cadets 2 Announcement

jkmummer

If it sounded like I was trying to have my cake and eat it too, thats not where I wanted to go. I FIRMlY believe that MBI and Bucs were both good enough to win Open Class this year. But I tried to get back to my main point, even the best possibly scenario for a Cadets feeder corps (BDB) would not be heads and shoulders better than DCA's top corps WITH the difference in rehearsal time. Cadets 2 is going to be comprised of raw yet talented kids who have no prior drum corps expierence rehearsing only on weekends. Thats not a recipe for the top spot in DCA.. especially the first year out.

I FIRMLY disagree, and think they would have ended up 3rd and 4th respectively. The complexity and cleanliness of the programs are completely different, especially in the visual captions.

I feel that if BDB came out to a DCA show, they would cleanup, hands down.

• Like 1

C2's key is to find the right niche between demand and achievement.

Totally agree.

a couple of reactions from this..

One is that Rich Hammond is a major loss for the Bucanneers Organization. He has been there Since 2002 and has meant a great deal to thier current run\

And so it begins... First time I heard about C2 I knew it would cannibalize the other DCA corps in the region. I had tentatively planned on marching for the Bucs next year but I guess I will wait to hear what's going on staff-wise before I get too excited about it.

Bryan

And so it begins... First time I heard about C2 I knew it would cannibalize the other DCA corps in the region. I had tentatively planned on marching for the Bucs next year but I guess I will wait to hear what's going on staff-wise before I get too excited about it.

Bryan

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Bucs have made several staff adjustments during the undefeated run and it didn't affect them much at all. While Rich is a big loss, it's not like he's the only capable guy in the area.

I also wouldn't consider this "cannibalizing". Rich works for YEA, and Gino has been with Cadets for longer than he's been with Bucs. It's not unexpected at all.

If you want to march Bucs, march Bucs. Why would you care what C2 is doing? (the reverse is just as true)

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

[sarcasm on]

Let's for the sake of the status quote form rules preventing any corps' staffs from ever changing, putting a moratorium on the creations of any new corps, stifle all creativity and just be happy the way things are.

[sarcasm off]

• Like 1

This is an interesting take, and to an extent I agree.

I've seen most of the top DCA corps rehearse over the last few years at one time or another, and I will say that from what I saw, Reading and Minnesota rehearse with more intensity, efficiency, and with a higher degree of member commitment than the other corps I saw.

That said, Cadets (World Class version) have a work harder for longer style of rehearsal (as opposed to, say, Blue Devils who work smarter, not harder). It's a valid way to do things if you have the time, as evidenced by ten DCI Championships. If they bring that approach to DCA, they will be dead in the water. It won't work in the under-the-gun time constraints DCA corps work under.

I really believe this was one of the major reasons Rich Hammond was brought in as C2's program coordinator. He, better than anyone else in DCA, understands how to get the most out of a corps in the least amount of time. When Rich and the rest of the C2 team all get on the same page, they will be a formidable foe. But I don't think that will happen over night. C2's key is to find the right niche between demand and achievement.

how you rehearse makes all the difference in the world. I know some corps bragabout their rehearsal time, but if you rehearse a lot without direction, focus and intensity, it's wasted effort.

having a program coordinator helps, but the staff has to communicate to each other as well. My hunch is the best groups staffs communicate a lot during the week so that when the weekend hits, the focus, direction and intensity is established

Bryan

Bucs will no doubt be a quality program without Rich.

See, in 1994 and 95, Bucs had not made finals. Beginning in 1996, the corps began the crawl up the ladder you see today, being in the top 3 severaltimes from 1999 til the run began in 2005.

Yes, Rich had a huge impact on the Bucs, but I am sure their management will not hire some slouchto take over.Jimmy, the committeeetc....they know what they are doing

being a member of the bucs during some turn around years i know them as a corps very well.. they will be here and come out strong..the way the organization is run, everything will be just fine..this whole process of the bucs started in 96,97 and each year was refined until you what you see today. not many people know but rich was with the corps in 97 as well then came back in 02. 97 was a totally different time though..the hardest year i ever had to march

being a member of the bucs during some turn around years i know them as a corps very well.. they will be here and come out strong..the way the organization is run, everything will be just fine..this whole process of the bucs started in 96,97 and each year was refined until you what you see today. not many people know but rich was with the corps in 97 as well then came back in 02. 97 was a totally different time though..the hardest year i ever had to march

1997? Tough? Can't possibly know what you mean...

:rolleyes:

Bucs have made it through rougher transitions than this, that's for sure! Jimmy has a great leadership team, and I'm sure the gears are already beginning to turn...you don't just forget how to do things because one or two take their talents elsewhere.

apples to oranges. the rehearsal time those two corps have compared to a DCA corps, even with an Open Class schedule, makes any comparisons moot.

I agree it's ridiculous to compare DCI and DCA corps. Someone else went there ph34r.gif

Still you can imagine the hypothetical (even it's not a reasonable thing to do).

Here's another fun one: Do you think MBI and Buc would have taken Avon out at BOA's last year (on BOA sheets of course)?

How's this for a hypothetical (and maybe more on topic with Cadets2):

Take the brass lines/battery/front ens. from a few of your favorite local HS MBs. Have Bocook/Saktig/McNutt/Zuccala write the show. If you had that marching band weekends (9am Sat to 3pm Sun) from May to September and had one weekend a month in the off-season, where would they end up on labor day weekend?