Some Answered Questions About Cadets2

I think once the woodwinds and electronics hits DCA you will see the old folks leaving in droves and the new kids on the block rolling in.

Sweet. I'm not wild about woodwinds (and there's no support for that in DCI), but the sooner we can get electronics and amplification passed the better. If that helps convert the audience in the process, great.

I do know for a fact a DCA corps was told they could not recruit this year bwcause of C2

That may be so, but that's not ALL corps. Besides there are ways around that. The corps Im posting about cant do the USSBA big shows so they go around the local shows were they see the same bands (sometimes they are the only recruiting corps at the show). When they do TOB and Cavelcade they see some of the same bands there as well. Its a well thought out plan and they are fairly successful at getting shows for recruiting. They also recruit at shows outside of those three circuits.

Like I said earlier, there's more than just YEA/USSBA out there. If you only want to recruit at USSBA shows, you are missing a big chunk of talent. Don't forget that there are also collegiate shows as well. And YEA doesn't run them, but they are recruiting at them. The one in Allentown draws a lot of corps. Cadets, Surf, Raiders, Hawthorne, Bushwackers, Reading, Even Sky Alumni, and The Sentinels alumni corps from Emmaus PA has a table. Last year Bluecoats were there.

I do know for a fact a DCA corps was told they could not recruit this year bwcause of C2

Only because of Cadets2???

If this is how YEA wants to start off its relationship with other DCA corps than they might be hard pressed to find a show host willing to find a space for them at a well populated event such as the Grand Prix/Scranton/Reading/Bridgeport.

I'll have to disagree with you there. People will ALWYAS INVITE the ones who sell tickets no matter what the politics.

You give some to much credit...lol :smile:

• Like 1

I don't always agree with you, but this time I will.

I'm not saying there is anything necessarily wrong with the way Cadets2 is marketed, but at the same time- the phrase "Regional Ensemble" creates confusion. Their C2 poster is hanging up in one of the band rooms at one of the fall programs I teach and quite a few woodwind players are under the impression this new YEA venture is looking for woodwind players. When I explained what C2 IS, I was asked, "Then why say its an ensemble and not a Drum Corps?"

Splitting hairs- Maybe... Maybe Not.

Is it something I'm loosing sleep over... no. However, if I was a parent considering letting my child participate with C2 this year, I would want the organization to be real clear about what he/she will be participating in.

I also think its a bit of a backhand to DCA to go around promoting a new corps, but not actively mention the circuit your participating in. As a prospective member, maybe I would want to do some research and see what this "Other" Drum Corps Circuit is all about before I spent $1300+ in tuition and fees. Who knows- Maybe I might find another corps closer to me that I would want to march in.

I have attended 4 large USSBA shows this year now and haven't seen a single other DCA corps there, and no mention of DCA in any of the broadcasts over the PA system regarding Cadets 2.

All I'm saying is that, for someone who has made a very successful career in marketing, I think Cadets2 is playing a couple of interesting cards.

As always, the dislike button is conveniently located to your right--------------------------->

:tongue:

actually regional ensemble, IMO clears up one question kids may have..."do we tour".

I do know some DCA corps have been at some USSBA shows to recruit. But let's be honest here from a business perspective....if I am running a show, do I HAVE to let my competition come in and recruit while I'm trying to create a corps?

No. And if it's a USSBA run show with no school host, but USSBA themselves running it, hey, I can't blame them.

I agree that YEA's target audience is potential members interested in being apart of the Cadets, but they are promoting it like its the only option for prospective members who can't commit to a full touring program. DCA's active corps roster says otherwise.

Is it YEA's job to promote other corps?- of course not. But if the other corps can't promote their program at any USSBA events than it's pretty tough to compete against what YEA is selling.

uh ya know, there's many bands that compete in other circuits and USSBA in USSBA's base region. When those bands go to their respective championships for TOB and/or Cavalcade, they will see other corps there recruiting. Just last week at TOB's NJ states, you had Surf, Bush, Cabs and Raiders all there with info booths and Surf had merchandise.

I did not know that. Wonder what the reason is?

um, does Coke let pepsi come in and promote at their events?

Your the legal eagle here but if what your suggesting USSBB is doing is true then they are opening themselves up for all sorts of legal action.

Im wondering if there might be more to it than protecting Cadets2?????

how could they be sued? It's their show, they don't have to let anyone in if they don't want to.

:doh:

I have done many many studies on parents involvement in their kids period ( one actually published ) and you would be amazed how little parents are aware of what their kids are doing or the company they keep. And YES even those who are paying for them to do drum corps as well as other activities.

There are many very involved parents in our activity and maybe we couldn't survive without them BUT there are many more who it simple wouldnt matter. realistically the controlled inviorment of drum corps is way safer than the street or a frat party for sure.

I dont believe it is anything like to used to be and even back in the day it was more legendary stories that tend to grow as time passes.

Not saying parents would be a big factor (that's why I have it in parens)...

As for being better... well doesn't matter really how it was BITD. More important is waht is going on (or is thought going on) now.....

I'm sure TOB and Calvacade are welcoming corps with open arms to come and support their circuits. I think both those circuits have taken a back seat to USSBA since they became favorable about 10 years ago.

That being said- even though both circuits feature some big shows.. they don't compare to USSBA and some of the multi-day shows they have, which is why they are the primary circuit to promote in.

um, TOB as far back as I can remember has always welcome corps from anywhere come and recruit at Championships.I know, I froze in the tunnel in Scranton one year recruiting for Westshore.

I wouldn't exactly say TOB has fallen by the wayside. Going into Championships weekends, over 210 bands participated in TOB events this fall. 130 some bands will participate in the TOB Championships series these nexttwo weekends....Cavalcade may have 70, but thats up from where they were 10 yearsago for sure.

The Band world is cyclical....itcomes and goes, and bands often move to where they can get the best read, score, price etc. Each circuit has pros and cons, and usually it depends on who you talk to and what their most recent score was.