DCI 2012 Programs

20080202231407!Beating-a-dead-horse.gif

Can we please move on now? This is a very divisive issue. We get it. Can we actually get onto what this thread is supposed to be about? Talking about the shows? Not about when the corps announce? Please? It's been over a week now that all that's been discussed in this thread is why corps wait to announce their show.

I, for one, am very excited about these show announcements. This is the most exciting and intriguing summer in a long time, based just on the show announcements. Like, I think it's going to be interesting seeing Crown doing only two, technically three, pieces this summer. I'm also intrigued to see what it's going to be like seeing Jersey Surf on the field this year with their Bridgemen theme. The first drum corps show I ever saw (on video) was Phantom 1991, so their show this year is exciting for me with the Turandot source material. And, with the Bluecoats bringing Masquerade back to the field, I'm more excited for their show this year than I have been since 2009. Then, there's Vanguard. I can't shake the feeling that, with what they've named the show, they are going to bring out "Music of the Night" (hopefully the '89 arrangement) as a new ending around Atlanta or Allentown and that they're just keeping it secret for now. I really hope I'm right on that one!

OK - I'd like to discuss the Blue Knights show this year. I'm not really the biggest Blue Knights fan, but I do like their shows from the last couple of years, and I like the direction they are headed. I'd like to get excited about their show this year, but I have no idea what they are going to be doing, and it's only a few weeks from the first competition. Am I more excited to see the other shows because I know what they are doing and have researched the source material - yes.

See how this works?

• Like 3

The paranoia about not leaking show information is absolutely ridiculous. What benefit is it to the corps to protect & withhold show information? How does holding back show information make the corps any better?

Need the Blue Knights ever announce their show? Is there any reason the whole season could pass by with nary a title given? That would be quite something.

I know we all love this activity....and these last weeks before the season starts feel endless. But, planning to avoid a souvie booth because a show title/repertoire hasn't been announced? Really?? That seems, to me, akin to not applauding because you don't like a show design, or a director, or anything else that has nothing to do with the performers.

I imagine that all will be forgotten and forgiven once the season gets rolling and we finally get to see these amazing kids do their stuff. It's frustrating not to know details..... but it's all so wonderful once it begins! :thumbup:

Good luck to Blue Knights... and SCV... and Academy... and all the corps!

I know we all love this activity....and these last weeks before the season starts feel endless. But, planning to avoid a souvie booth because a show title/repertoire hasn't been announced? Really?? That seems, to me, akin to not applauding because you don't like a show design, or a director, or anything else that has nothing to do with the performers.

I imagine that all will be forgotten and forgiven once the season gets rolling and we finally get to see these amazing kids do their stuff. It's frustrating not to know details..... but it's all so wonderful once it begins! :thumbup:

Why does not supporting a corps that doesn't engage their fans more seem so far-fetched? Isn't that the whole point? Don't the Cades engage their fans year round to garner more of their support? Will I want to spend more money at their souvie trailer or send in a donation because I like what they do in this area - yes.

BTW, what also is so sacrilegious about not applauding (or only giving the token golf clap) because I don't like the show design that I just saw at a competition? Am I obligated to applaud fervently and give a standing ovation for every show that I see, even if I don't like the design? I didn't realize that that was a rule that came with my ticket purchase...

Edited by Quad Aces
  • Like 4

planning to avoid a souvie booth because a show title/repertoire hasn't been announced? Really??

No..... not " really". I... and apparently a few others... intend to take a much more positive, proactive approach that was mentioned by another poster or two as well. We intend to go to the booth and BUY sovies from a Corps or 2 that has given us free access to info in the offseason as appreciation for the videos, music, info that they shared with us. THAT is what was said. No... I saw no boycott plan posts on here by ANY poster that said that they intend to boycott buying sovies from any Corps because of the lack of off season info. You apparently went negative on posters because of your inability to understand what was said. There is little " POSITIVenergy" that is received by such unfair remarks that can only be attributed to your inability to understand what was said. Repeat... there are no boycott plans afloat, and no one has suggested such a boycott as near as I can tell either.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

The paranoia about not leaking show information is absolutely ridiculous. What benefit is it to the corps to protect & withhold show information? How does holding back show information make the corps any better?

My theory is that it makes them feel more important and creates hype in their circle of influence.

OK - I'd like to discuss the Blue Knights show this year. I'm not really the biggest Blue Knights fan, but I do like their shows from the last couple of years, and I like the direction they are headed. I'd like to get excited about their show this year, but I have no idea what they are going to be doing, and it's only a few weeks from the first competition. Am I more excited to see the other shows because I know what they are doing and have researched the source material - yes.

See how this works?

<soapbox>

You're missing the point.

It's not that fans feel more excited about shows when corps release information in the pre-season. Everyone gets that.

It's that every single point of view about it has been repeated 1000x over and people are tired of reading about it.

AND it's OT. This a thread about corps who have announced their shows, not a thread for whining about those that haven't. If you want a thread like that, maybe you should start one.

See how that works?

</soapbox>

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 2

No its not.

Clapping is free for everyone and everyone should do it always!

Buying souvies costs money and maybe that money will find it's way to the booth of a corps that has taken more time and effort in connecting to fans than another... afterall I don't plan to buy EVERYONE's souvies...

But clapping, appluading, screaming during shows, doesn't need to be even discussed everyone deserves that. It's totally different.pecially when they don't have to.

Edited by charlie1223