Cadets2 question...

I'm not going to bet anyone, but here are my reasons why I predict this.

A) They are intercepting staff from Buccs. We all know how relentless they have been (until this past season).

B) Add to that an age cap and you have a yet another advantage.

C) They are part of the Cadets organization and will intercept a large majority of kids who did not make the Cadets. Anyone remember the Crossmen (when they were last making finals and part of YEA)?

Put those three things together, and I don't know how anyone can conclude otherwise. This corps is going to be a powerhouse. Therefore, they need to be fair to both DCA AND themselves and compete where their real competition is and where corps have members THEIR SAME AGE.

A) yes they have some staff. A large part of Bucs team is still at Bucs

b) youthcan be good. It can also lead to inexperience. Bucs have many "kids", but they also have many seasoned vets.

C) throwing out the Crossmen part of the equation is moot when you look at their last 2 years in YEA. And yes the Cadets know what they are doing...in DCI. There's no guarantee knowing DCI means you know DCA.

The corps will be good. But they are no lock to just run away with it.

• Like 1

As for the keyboard discussion? It can apply to either. But let me give you an example. Let's say C1 writes for one keyboard player that requires both synth pads AND a pretty difficult piano solo and you have 2 kids trying out for that one spot. One kid gets it, the other goes home - instead of having the opportunity to play that same role in C2.

Yeah, them mean Senior.. ooops All-Age people making "kids" learn another instrument if they play woodwinds or stringed instruments. :devil:

Surprised you haven't mentioned the x number of 'kids" that can't try out because DCI has a larger max number of members.

Going with the "experience vs staff" side here on where C2 will end up. Was with a really inexperienced corps when I started and we improved as the corps get more experience. Also the staff changed to more DC savvy which helped too. Will beinteresting to see what percentage of C2 are newbies and how that plays out.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

C2 HAS to go DCA. If they went DCI they would have to call themselves the Cadet Cadets. :tongue:

C2 HAS to go DCA. If they went DCI they would have to call themselves the Cadet Cadets. :tongue:

The Junior Juniors <$1 to Bubba J (That's my brothers name)>

I've been around corps for a couple of years so take what I say, however you want....

Cadets2 is an awesome idea! I think it is super that they are choosing to compete in DCA. I think the big reason for the negativity toward the corps is that it is being formed by, probably, one of the most successful corps directors in drum corps history. Now I am not always a Cadets fan BUT what George Hopkins has done since taking over the corps is phenomnal.

Lets be happy that another corps has been added to DCA, let them rehearse in peace and comment after you've seen them next summer.

• Like 2

I've been around corps for a couple of years so take what I say, however you want....

Cadets2 is an awesome idea! I think it is super that they are choosing to compete in DCA. I think the big reason for the negativity toward the corps is that it is being formed by, probably, one of the most successful corps directors in drum corps history. Now I am not always a Cadets fan BUT what George Hopkins has done since taking over the corps is phenomnal.

Lets be happy that another corps has been added to DCA, let them rehearse in peace and comment after you've seen them next summer.

Only really good thing I can think of about all the controversy is it's generating more talk about DCA. Ironic as I listened to a radio bit about media "talking heads" saying weird stuff just to keep in the public eye. Kinda like "any publicity is good publicity".

Win, lose or down the pack somewhere, it's a good thing for DCA and Drum Corps in general. And if it helps generate more interest in corps like this, hey more corps is always a good thing. LOL, no one knows what Class C2 will be in yet....

Then I guess DCA rules arent fair. They allow the corps to set age limits.

Once again you take the meaning of this new organization and you turn it into OH THEY JUST WANT TO WIN!

And crying wolf that its not fair.. it's completely fair. The rules are the rules.. they haven't broken any of them. Why do you insist that they are doing the wrong thing? Why? So what if they win because their kids are younger and they may have recent Cadet age outs leading the corps.. why does that even matter? why? if they are good then its better for the activity can you think of it that way?

I see your points.

• Like 1

Not sure there's a specific number here.

Obviously when looking at the entire venture, DCA made more sense to YEA; likely for many of reasons that have been mentioned here. You want to parse out specific issues, but I doubt that's how the decision was made. It was more likely made by looking at the venture in it's entirety.

Yeah, I'm sure they knew what they were doing when they made the decision. I'm just bringing up an interesting topic for discussion is all.

• Like 1

I absolutely 100% convinced that drumcorpsdrummerman2012 is a troll.

Kamarag, that is not cool at all and completely uncalled for. I am doing what this discussion board is designed for, bringing up a topic for discussion and discussing it within my own personal opinions. That is all. There is nothing trollish about my posts. Come on.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm sure they knew what they were doing when they made the decision. I'm just bringing up an interesting topic for discussion is all.

LOL, I can agree with this post. I'd say 6 of one, half dozen of the other as for DCA or OC.....

Know the DCA side better and have seen a few well run corps make a great impression their first time at DCA. Not even counting the non-North American corps (Kidsgrove, Yokahama) Renegades, Rochester Phoenix and a bunch of French-Canadian corps have come out of nowhere to snag a Finalist spot their first year at DCA. Wonder if any of that history is part of the decision to go DCA.

Edited by JimF-LowBari