Santa Clara Vanguard 2012

To tell the truth, the championship is anyones. I'm still getting a feel myself for the new sheets. Trying to figure out what exactly they are rewarding. But there are a lot of great drum corps this year. A lot of show designs that supposedly can "win it" which I don't really disagree with.

A lot of corps have a quite a bit to go.

All I know is I can't wait to see some live drum corps!

This change is more recent, though. In '07 they marched straight leg, '08 was a variation on it, '09 was in between, and '10 til now has been a transition to Cavaliers technique (which they still use today). '09 was bent leg, but not to the point of "bicycle."

This is pretty accurate ... the hybrid really started in 2007 with the forward and some of the direction changes (if watching carefully). 2008 was the first year of the non-straight leg on the articulation backwards (however, the goal was to have straight legs when the back heel touched) and then 2009 there were no significant changes to the technique - it was really just a matter of the performers having the technique 'under their feet' for a year.

If anything, it reminded of older (late 1980's SCV or late 1980's/ early 1990's Cavaliers). The modern rendition, I am pretty sure is NOT, what the the staff envisioned in 2007. I remember talking with Sly and he did not want the Vanguard to look like The Cavaliers (which they do now). Rather, he taught the technique to reflect (and pay tribute to on some level I suppose) the older style Vanguard.

The current staff is fine and the performers will be fine, but there is a different approach with this staff then the previous visual staff (both largely from the same corps). Which one is better? Neither! Each staff just a different approach ....

Edited by SCVBrass80

Okay, so after seeing the stanford recording: Marching- Blah. just march straight leg. Ever since they switched it has bothered me. Just please figure out how to do it all the same.

Completely agree. When I watched them rehearse in Walnut last year I thought, "Gee, most of the kids are pretty short," as I stood next to the HS stadium pressbox. Then I realized it was because of the technique, particularly when backing up, where the kids "shrank" several inches in height. I imagine this is one of the contributing factors (besides New Era and all that) why SCV no longer marches a stripe and/or white bucs and/or white pants anymore. Sure, the dark pants & shoes hide visual dirt, but Cadets march cream/light shoes...and win. Crown marches cream & light shoes...and will probably win. Same with SOI. I find it telling that you have to go back 25 years to find SCV's last High Visual Award at Nationals, with the marching style and lower uniform of the day.

Do they sound like SCV??? What is SCV supposed to sound like??? I'd be satisfied with the answer "Great!"

But I did see '99 thrown around as an example of what SCV should sound like. And I like that idea. All I really want is in your face brass and percussion though.

Give 'em G's and you'll get your wish. :turn:

Edited by TRacer

Just saw the full show and let me tell you, the musical selections are unmatched. From top to bottom it is VERY enjoyable music and I think it applies to just about everybody. However, the drill is a little lacking and it's just plain dirty at the moment. I'm telling you though, by August this thing might be taking top 3.

• Like 1

I just watched SCVC's show... and I'm pretty sure they march better than SCV... and it looks better even with white pants...