Santa Clara Vanguard 2012

First bit of playing I've gotten to hear from the hornline this year.

Hornline starts around 30 seconds into the video.

Edited by DarkHorner
  • Like 1

Alright, I'm wearing my flame cloak!

Does anyone else feel like they're watching some other corps in Vanguard uniforms?

They use straight up Cavaliers technique

I won't flame you here. When I saw that video in the 3 hours that it was actually online lol, I saw exactly that. They're marching like clydesdales. Knees up in the "bicycle" technique that we all teach our bands NOT to march. That was indeed the Cavs technique for many years. The fact that the SCV technique has changed is no surprise, and isn't recent... they changed way back in 2002 when they got rid of the hard flanks you were used to seeing with SCV. The idea is that softer direction changes and bicyle technique calms down the upper body and allows for a better wall of sound. I get that (although I don't agree with it). That said, just like any other year in DCI, the point is that they need to all do it the same. Whether you like it or not, as long as they're all doing it the same, it will translate to higher scores.

I will say this, I can't WAIT until this Saturday in Stanford where I can see them live. I will give a great review and possibly some videos (although, I think they'll have the Stanford vids on The Fan Network, so I may just avoid that all together, particularly since SCV has been getting everything removed from youtube this year for some reason).

Does Vanguard have new uniforms this year or are they just recycling old ones?

They're new, although obviously a return to the 2006-2007 look. The tunics are a couple inches longer and there's no green piping on the white stripe (these two changes really make the white pop), the pants are more fitted, the gauntlets are shorter and have a silver button at the point, and there's a silver button at the adam's apple instead of a notch in the collar.

I'm watching this show over and over on the Stanford recording, trying to make myself like the drill. The music is pretty good (although not exactly what I had expected from Shaw), but the drill is just... well.... bad. Anyone else feel like this?

• Like 3

I won't flame you here. When I saw that video in the 3 hours that it was actually online lol, I saw exactly that. They're marching like clydesdales. Knees up in the "bicycle" technique that we all teach our bands NOT to march. That was indeed the Cavs technique for many years. The fact that the SCV technique has changed is no surprise, and isn't recent... they changed way back in 2002 when they got rid of the hard flanks you were used to seeing with SCV. The idea is that softer direction changes and bicyle technique calms down the upper body and allows for a better wall of sound. I get that (although I don't agree with it). That said, just like any other year in DCI, the point is that they need to all do it the same. Whether you like it or not, as long as they're all doing it the same, it will translate to higher scores.

I will say this, I can't WAIT until this Saturday in Stanford where I can see them live. I will give a great review and possibly some videos (although, I think they'll have the Stanford vids on The Fan Network, so I may just avoid that all together, particularly since SCV has been getting everything removed from youtube this year for some reason).

This change is more recent, though. In '07 they marched straight leg, '08 was a variation on it, '09 was in between, and '10 til now has been a transition to Cavaliers technique (which they still use today). '09 was bent leg, but not to the point of "bicycle."

This change is more recent, though. In '07 they marched straight leg, '08 was a variation on it, '09 was in between, and '10 til now has been a transition to Cavaliers technique (which they still use today). '09 was bent leg, but not to the point of "bicycle."

The vis staff that came in for the 2007 season wanted to change the technique to what they marched and had taught to the Cavaliers during their winning stretch. Any technique is really decided by the visual caption head and his staff. What they want to teach and clean is what the corps will march, in essence.

Ya the drill will clean up with time. The mars section drum break is vicious!

I'm not talking about their execution of it. I'm talking about the design in general. To me, it looks like Weber just decided to sneeze on a page and use the dots that it created as the drill sets. Granted, there are a few drill sets in there that I like (like the "SCV" and the one that looks like a Zorro symbol), but most of them are completely random looking, and the transitions between most of them are just wacky and look completely unorganized. (Not to mention they don't fit the music much at all.)

If I listen to the music by itself, I absolutely love the show. If I watch the drill while I'm listening to it, my opinion of the whole show, even the music, changes. The drill, IMO, should complement the music, or vice versa in some spots if the designers wish. Neither happens in this show very often.

I'm not talking about their execution of it. I'm talking about the design in general.

Vanguard = "the forefront in any movement, field, activity, or the like."

I don't see this definition in their show this year. Someone in another thread mentioned SCV 1999 - that is "Vanguard."

Edited by LincolnV