Santa Clara Vanguard 2012

surprised to see them with only 4 basses

I luv the show... But what's with the standing still in the begining? But once they start the drill it's like non stop til the end...

It's pre-show that hasn't been added in yet. So they stand and play the pre-show part. Probably is contributing to their lower scores right now, sadly

Alright, I'm wearing my flame cloak!

Does anyone else feel like they're watching some other corps in Vanguard uniforms?

They use straight up Cavaliers technique (with SCV upper bodies, however- a trademark I like to see), with some very Cavaliers- like drill.

They sound Phantom-esque, with Rennick-Shaw writing (who both wrote for Phantom for almost ten years).

I feel like there's not much left of SCV in there. But then again, when was the last time there was? I miss shows like '08 and '09, where it still seemed like SCV, though with a different staff each year anyway.

• Like 1

Alright, I'm wearing my flame cloak!

Does anyone else feel like they're watching some other corps in Vanguard uniforms?

They use straight up Cavaliers technique (with SCV upper bodies, however- a trademark I like to see), with some very Cavaliers- like drill.

They sound Phantom-esque, with Rennick-Shaw writing (who both wrote for Phantom for almost ten years).

I feel like there's not much left of SCV in there. But then again, when was the last time there was? I miss shows like '08 and '09, where it still seemed like SCV, though with a different staff each year anyway.

I actually thought they sounded very un-phantom like in regards to the brass book. It almost seems like JD was trying purposefully to not make SCV sound like PR. Coincidently (or un-coincidently), I do not like the arrangement. The planets does not sound true to the original with all the extra stuff going on in it and change of the tonal structure IMO ... I did like the other pieces though.

drums still sound like they should be resonating off white uniforms though.

it may grow on me..

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2
  • Like 1

I actually thought they sounded very un-phantom like in regards to the brass book. It almost seems like JD was trying purposefully to not make SCV sound like PR. Coincidently (or un-coincidently), I do not like the arrangement. The planets does not sound true to the original with all the extra stuff going on in it and change of the tonal structure IMO ... I did like the other pieces though.

drums still sound like they should be resonating off white uniforms though.

it may grow on me..

I saw the video a few times and can't quite decide how I feel - their show looks/sounds complex. I can't wait to see it from above.

Like you I didn't get any sense of Phantom brass/arranging in the brass section either. IMO there were a couple of years at PR where JD's arrangements sounded completely different than anything he wrote before/after.

They still look and act like the Vanguard.

Put me down as someone who loved their show last year - issues and everything. I think I've listened to it over 200 times.