Madison Scouts 2012

I would respectfully disagree with this. This isn't like a kid going from Boston to Blue Stars or Phantom to SCV. One could argue that these corps have similar cultures in many ways. That is not the case with Crown and Madison. Madison is a very old, traditional, in your face drum corps with (let's just put it out there, ALL GUYS). :) Crown, on the other hand, is Crown. The only two thing these two corps have in common is their lack of sleeves. I would be very surprised if more than one or two kids went from Crown to Madison, and it has nothing to do with competitive placement, imo. Completely different cultures....in any case, Bozzley makes a good point. The current 6th-13th place corps are so fiercely competitive these days that it is a mistake to assume a particular staff person (even a caption head) can enable a corps to suddenly leap frog everyone else. This is not your father's DCI.

Looks like it's been fiercely competitive for a long time...

It really depends on the year on whether it's 6th-12th, 6th-13th, 10th-15th, 1st-7th, or whatever. We go through cycles....

• Like 1

Men of Madison, have a great camp this weekend.

MYNWA!

• Like 3

I was able to make it to their ensemble rehearsal yesterday...WOOOOOWWWWW!!! I knew Robert W. Smith could compose great music...this will POSITIVELY be a historic season for the Scouts. Of course, I am a homer and love the Scouts, but I truly enjoy the level at which other corps play as well. Honestly, last year it took me a bit to get to the point where I really enjoyed the music. This year, however, they grab you from the first few notes. Talk about "Wall of Sound"!!! The music is so intelligently written...it takes your ear on a journey from one gorgeous line to the next. So many details you can focus on and fall in love with. Pictures on an Exhibition has DEFINITELY been "Madisonized" in an amazing way. If you can't stand the Scouts, prepare to fall in love with them this year. They're absolutely ready to mop up some top corps in the aspect of brass. All sections contribute equally to the "wall". Screamers...check, check, check, check, check, check, check. Battery has notes on top of notes and are executing at an pretty impressive level. I can't wait to see the visual package associated with it. Some of the men were saying that Smith said they won't be below 120bpm on the field. Plans change all the time...who knows. I know the term "hype" exists, but my comments about this weekend don't do those gentleman justice. Over 4:00 of completely memorized music that they received last week...not a dip in energy. It's January folks. Appreciate your face while you still have it.

Nice post, flippin sweet!

• Like 1

I was able to make it to their ensemble rehearsal yesterday...WOOOOOWWWWW!!! I knew Robert W. Smith could compose great music...this will POSITIVELY be a historic season for the Scouts. Of course, I am a homer and love the Scouts, but I truly enjoy the level at which other corps play as well. Honestly, last year it took me a bit to get to the point where I really enjoyed the music. This year, however, they grab you from the first few notes. Talk about "Wall of Sound"!!! The music is so intelligently written...it takes your ear on a journey from one gorgeous line to the next. So many details you can focus on and fall in love with. Pictures on an Exhibition has DEFINITELY been "Madisonized" in an amazing way. If you can't stand the Scouts, prepare to fall in love with them this year. They're absolutely ready to mop up some top corps in the aspect of brass. All sections contribute equally to the "wall". Screamers...check, check, check, check, check, check, check. Battery has notes on top of notes and are executing at an pretty impressive level. I can't wait to see the visual package associated with it. Some of the men were saying that Smith said they won't be below 120bpm on the field. Plans change all the time...who knows. I know the term "hype" exists, but my comments about this weekend don't do those gentleman justice. Over 4:00 of completely memorized music that they received last week...not a dip in energy. It's January folks. Appreciate your face while you still have it.

Thanks for the camp report! I can't wait to see Madison on the field this summer.

• Like 1

speaking of yellow shorts how'd the baritone line sound.

• Like 1

So from what you heard, is the music all from Pictures At An exhibition or is there other stuff? If you don't feel comfortable saying "what it is", that's fine. I just know there has been some specuation as such and also, someone quoted a facebook post from Jim Mason indicating "surprises" and I wondered if you detected any while you were there. "Yes or no" is cool if you don't want to be too detailed. Just curious is all. Thanks for the report.

Edited by stevedb1975
  • Like 1

There was talk of the Scouts fielding a huge drumline this year, perhaps 12 snares. How big was the line?

I think the battery instrumentation was still 9-4-5.

No it's not just Pictures...it has been "Madisonized". I'll leave it at that. It's amazing and the sound they're getting this early is just incredible...you WON'T be let down. There's an even bigger surprise coming later. Everyone's going to go absolutely insane when they unleash this show. Guaranteed. thumbup.gif

• Like 5