DCI CD's no longer available?

Here's my deal with cd's vs. dvd's... I listen to drum corps 1000x more than I watch it. I listen in the car, at work, while I'm doing yard work, etc... I've always been more about the music than the visuals. I really just want cd's of the music now and I'll wait months or years before I care about watching the shows.

• Like 4

I've always been more about the music than the visuals. I really just want cd's of the music now and I'll wait months or years before I care about watching the shows.

I used to feel the same way until, too me, a lot of the brass books were put together like a buffet and some brass books need to be viewed with the drill.

Sorry, I meant access to the 1974-1999 audio recordings. Got official word from DCI over email that these are no longer available for purchase:
"Unfortunately, all downloads had to be removed while we work through licensing agreements with the music publishers. We hope to be able provide this content again in the future."
As I said, it seems like entirely wishful thinking. If you're a fan who wants to purchase finals recordings from before 2000, you'll have to find people willing to sell their old Legacy Collection CDs, from when those used to be sold years ago. :sad:

i've seen some on Amazon and Ebay from time to time.

I have some nice wax cylinders if you can't find any... what were they called again? CDs?

You mean this? (Actual recording of Sousa's band conducted by the Man himself.)

Sousa-AudioCylinder.jpeg

• Like 1

Here's my deal with cd's vs. dvd's... I listen to drum corps 1000x more than I watch it. I listen in the car, at work, while I'm doing yard work, etc... I've always been more about the music than the visuals. I really just want cd's of the music now and I'll wait months or years before I care about watching the shows.

I was like that during the 90s: I listened to 70s-90s shows a TON more than I would watch them (mostly, I think, because of how easy it was to listen in a walkman, car stereo, etc vs. on a TV).

But when Cavaliers kind of revolutionized show design to emphasize visual, I stopped caring so much about just the music: just listening to a show, especially a modern show, is only half of the production and it really feels like you're missing out on stuff. It's better than nothing, sure, but I very rarely just listen to drum corps shows now. In fact, buying some of the Essentials blu-rays, and Legacy DVDs of old favorites, I've noticed more stuff about the visual aspects of shows that I knew musically inside/out: I feel like I've gotten to know those shows more taking the time to watch them on DVD or Blu.

I was like that during the 90s: I listened to 70s-90s shows a TON more than I would watch them (mostly, I think, because of how easy it was to listen in a walkman, car stereo, etc vs. on a TV).

But when Cavaliers kind of revolutionized show design to emphasize visual, I stopped caring so much about just the music: just listening to a show, especially a modern show, is only half of the production and it really feels like you're missing out on stuff. It's better than nothing, sure, but I very rarely just listen to drum corps shows now. In fact, buying some of the Essentials blu-rays, and Legacy DVDs of old favorites, I've noticed more stuff about the visual aspects of shows that I knew musically inside/out: I feel like I've gotten to know those shows more taking the time to watch them on DVD or Blu.

*sigh* and that's where I started liking DCI less and less. The visuals are usually cool, but if you can't close your eyes and get into the music, what's the point? I've said before that I've seen hundreds of performances with a corps standing still and playing and I've yet to see one where they march and don't play.

*sigh* and that's where I started liking DCI less and less. The visuals are usually cool, but if you can't close your eyes and get into the music, what's the point? I've said before that I've seen hundreds of performances with a corps standing still and playing and I've yet to see one where they march and don't play.

There's always the symphony, although I have seen a few in the past year that to increase attendance and a young audience there have been some incredible visuals added. This may be the way of the future even for something as entrenched in tradition as the symphony.

Edited by GUARDLING

There's always the symphony, although I have seen a few in the past year that to increase attendance and a young audience there have been some incredible visuals added. This may be the way of the future even for something as entrenched in tradition as the symphony.

Our symphony performed Disney music and showed video on a large screen at a free live public event intended for families and to introduce people to the symphony. The one year experiment became a second year event. What if media distribution is meant for education versus profit? How can music be promoted if it can't be heard? Why can't I have my CD for the music?

Me too :smile:

Our symphony performed Disney music and showed video on a large screen at a free live public event intended for families and to introduce people to the symphony. The one year experiment became a second year event. What if media distribution is meant for education versus profit? How can music be promoted if it can't be heard? Why can't I have my CD for the music?

licensing.

• Like 1