partial list of DCI Casualties

Plus cost of even local, non-touring costs have gone out-of-sight compared to BITD. Ths days of hand me down equipment from other corps are gone along with not having to worry about insurance costs and background checks. As for income and chances to perform, number of local parades have gone down badly from decades past. Northeast still has some big parades that pay but some of them are taking hits and unless you are from that city your budget includes a bus bill which would take a big cut.

So who wants to join a local non-touring corps and pay a good bit out if your pocket?

all very true

Question for reallyoldfart: Today, when over 500 show up at just a Cavaliers November Thanksgiving camp, what would you do? March all 500? March just the 150 with the least amount of experience so that the corps can educate those who cannot play? What would you do in 'todays' Cavaliers?

He would complain on DCP like any true has-been! :tongue:

• Like 1

I got through the first 3 posts of this thread and and realized exactly why I've never opened this thread...and never will again (and it has nothing to do with the two replies I read which were spot on in correcting the OP's foolishness).

Question for reallyoldfart: Today, when over 500 show up at just a Cavaliers November Thanksgiving camp, what would you do? March all 500? March just the 150 with the least amount of experience so that the corps can educate those who cannot play? What would you do in 'todays' Cavaliers?

BITD the corps management would have thanked the kids very much for their interest in joining. They would give them the phone numbers of fifty other local corps, and would have sent the kids down the street to another corps who might be very glad to have them. In the case of the Cavaliers the kids could go to the Royal Airs, or the Norwood Park Imperials, or the Skokie/Des Plaines Vanguard, or the Racine Kilties, just to mention a few BIG corps. There were also quite a few smaller units, like the Nisei Ambassadors, or the Purple Lancers, or Phantom Regiment, or the Shaumberg Guardsmen, or the Spectacle City Mariners, or the Jackson Raiders, or many others. Those kids would have been able to find a home if they were really serious.

Unfortunately, the quest for artistic fulfillment by the anointed few has blasted any ideas of local community service for the area's youth. There are posters on this board who have stated their opinion that all but 6 or 7 existing corps ought to shoot themselves in the head because they have no hope of attaining the pinnacle of magnificence reached by those favored few. There are no local corps, those ones who actually provided real music education to the youth of this country, still operating.

Posters always claim that "today's youth" have so many more choices, and thus are uninterested in drum corps as an activity. Perhaps, if DCI hadn't spent the last 40 years telling those kids to "Drop Dead" there might be more interest in drum corps. No chance of that happening, of course.

Way to go, DCI.

As it stands today they could still help those 350 kids to find a corps to march with. That corps might be 500, or 1000 miles away. But the referral would still help a few kids.

• Like 1

As it stands today they could still help those 350 kids to find a corps to march with. That corps might be 500, or 1000 miles away. But the referral would still help a few kids.

Pretty sure the kids can find the corps on their own. But from what I've read on threads I've started, with what the kids have to pay today many think only a few are worth their time and money. It may be they only think a top corps is worth it to them or "I have my heart set on being with .... and it's not in my heart ot be with anyone else".

And how much time do you think a corps can spend teaching music education today? With short seasons and limited camp time sometimes the shows aren't even ready by the start of the season. And heaven forbid if the weather mucks things up, then it's even worse.

Hey I'm 54 and was on a board dealing with how changes over the decades is killing churches in the city. And some of the reasons can be related to Drum Corps (especially the city ones). Let's just say it was a helluva (pardon the pun since it was church related) eye opener. Some things cannot be controlled or have someone to blame, you just have to decide the best way to deal with them. DCI has done some dumb things IMO, but putting sole resposibility on them for the demise all the Jr corps that dissolved since 1972? What's usally forgotten is the Sr corps world has also had a horrible survival rate during the same time.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

BITD the corps management would have thanked the kids very much for their interest in joining. They would give them the phone numbers of fifty other local corps, and would have sent the kids down the street to another corps who might be very glad to have them. In the case of the Cavaliers the kids could go to the Royal Airs, or the Norwood Park Imperials, or the Skokie/Des Plaines Vanguard, or the Racine Kilties, just to mention a few BIG corps. There were also quite a few smaller units, like the Nisei Ambassadors, or the Purple Lancers, or Phantom Regiment, or the Shaumberg Guardsmen, or the Spectacle City Mariners, or the Jackson Raiders, or many others. Those kids would have been able to find a home if they were really serious.

Unfortunately, the quest for artistic fulfillment by the anointed few has blasted any ideas of local community service for the area's youth. There are posters on this board who have stated their opinion that all but 6 or 7 existing corps ought to shoot themselves in the head because they have no hope of attaining the pinnacle of magnificence reached by those favored few. There are no local corps, those ones who actually provided real music education to the youth of this country, still operating.

Posters always claim that "today's youth" have so many more choices, and thus are uninterested in drum corps as an activity. Perhaps, if DCI hadn't spent the last 40 years telling those kids to "Drop Dead" there might be more interest in drum corps. No chance of that happening, of course.

Way to go, DCI.

Ummmmmm... you are either way mis-informed about the way things are done today or just do not know what happens at camps today. When youth audition, say for the Cavaliers, Crown, Regiment, Scouts, Blue Stars, Glassmen, etc... they are given ratings at the end of the camp and counseled on how to best proceed; some youth are given high ratings and invited back to the next camp for possible placement; those youth which are given medium to low ratings are given the choice to come back for educational aspects and also counseled to seek out another corps. Yes, they are counseled to seek other corps; let me say that again: They Are Counseled To Seek Out Other Corps!!! However, many of the youth who make medium to low ratings decide to stay at home instead of following that counsel. I am not aware of any ogre type activities going on within any corps or any corps staff today which wants to treat youth in the "drop dead" manner in which you are indicating.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2

Way to go, DCI.

Wow. You mean to tell me the corps should do EXACTLY what most corps do when they cut people? Remarkable! Corps do EXACTLY this. Want to know how I know? Because that's what happened with me. Are you seriously that out of touch that you're suggesting this like corps don't already do it?!

as someone who marched back in the day....taught ever since to this day I can tell you dci HAD very little to do with the downfall...( Inpart yes of course, at least as it was )and even less for why the activity isnt supported by the places that supported it through the 40s 50s 60s and patiallly the 70s. Without going into the thousands of reasopns which many have stated before..lets just say one more time the world changed, the support is different, noone gives their church basement away for free or their fields, staff dont work for $25.00 a rehearsal...I could keep going ....BUT nor does a loaf of bread cost .30 or gas .45 a gallon....and YES ..JUST ASK a kid today what their choices are and what they have compaed to what we did BITD....it's easy to figure it out

Today, we have real licensed educators teaching kids real brass and percussion.

This is worse for education by comparison to someone with "a cause" helping out some kids in their spare time...how?

How do you KNOW corps management would have done that back in the day? Since you earlier said corps took everyone who walked through the door?

Yes, kids who wanted to march in a corps would have found someplace...just like today. Those who are serious about corps can find a place to march.

Sorry, but poster after poster has come on here and on Facebook groups and said how they learned totally by rote...no time at all spent on teaching the players to read music. Some, of course, did, but lots did nothing along those lines. I watched our horn instructor teach by playing a phrase and having the members copy what he did, phrase by phrase until the show was learned. Our drum instructor taught us the same way...even though it just happened that some of us read music, as we came from the local scholastic music program. Not until I got to Garfield did I ever see a written drum part.

Way to go, DCI.

Yes, way to go, DCI...that is what corps do at their auditions. But...they can't FORCE kids to march someplace.