DCA Accepting Bids For 2014, 2015 World Championships

Ok nashville's got a lot to do...but...

up here school's already in session Labor Day weekend, so it makes it tough for family vacations. Also...where's the local DCA support there? Can Nashville prove they can run a regular season show that will draw fans?

people here Won't travel if it's too far away. people from PA didn't go to Rochester. People from Rochester didn't go to Scranton.

People from both won't go to Nashville. You need a big enough base in place to replace them

I'm tellin' ya... the solution to attendance at any venue is obvious:

10-cent beers.

Guaranteed full house. :tongue:

• Like 1

I'm tellin' ya... the solution to attendance at any venue is obvious:

10-cent beers.

Guaranteed full house. :tongue:

I don't drink Fran, there's no way I'm going to Finals with a bunch of no-good drunks!

• Like 1

I do think if the Championships go very far away from the "Northeast" it will effect the "Alumni Spectacular". At least till more areas get to have the JOY of having more "Alumni(type) Corps".

Which is why I say a place " like Nashville ", which is ALSO a Big Tourest location, is so good. Some of the North East Alumni(Type) Corps could schedule a more " family Vacation ", around the Championships. Where as, Wife or Husband, might be at Practice or some of the other events. The Other Family members, could be out siteseeing and doing other things. Then go to which ever event's "their Family member" is in. (That also goes for the " Competing Corps " also.) Same for me as a FAN now. I am more likely to go to a DCA Championship in Nashville, Memphis TN, - Atlanta GA, Savannah GA, - Louisville/Lexington KY, - Mobile AL, - Charseton SC, or the like. Than to a say a Cleveland, Indianapolis, Madison, and the like. ( I must say. I would love to go to Denver or Kansas City also though. But I have doubts that will happen in the next 5 years.)

But no matter what. The main thing NEEDED is: "A Bid", from a Place that has ALL the things needed to do all the events, and lots of money to invest in the event that May or May not be, Profitable.

The "wild card" in every place you mentioned, with the exception of KY, is weather...I sat through a concert in Nashville during Fan Fair a few years back, when the remnants of a tropical storm came through (doesn't that sound familiar?). I got just as drenched as I did when Ernesto visited Rochester, it was just warmer. The point being, you are much more likely to feel the effects of a tropical storm or hurricane the deeper into the South you venture at that time of year. As Ernesto proved, you don't necessarily have to be in the South to feel the effects, but face the facts that's where most of these storms seem to come ashore and sometimes wreak more havoc than just rain. I think the biggest obstacle to any area submitting a bid is stadium availability. Once Labor Day rolls around, it's football season-and they play on drum corps' fields. I think that's one reason Rochester was so successful-we weren't competing with any football programs for stadium facilities. I've been attending championships since the mid-1990's and the only actual football field that I can remember championships being held was Allentown. As has been mentioned, the problem there is competing with the state fair. Scranton, Syracuse and Rochester in the '90's all used baseball stadiums.

I don't drink Fran, there's no way I'm going to Finals with a bunch of no-good drunks!

oh so we won't see you this year?

:tongue:

• Like 1

oh so we won't see you this year?

:tongue:

The people are so drunk that I wear one of my classic Hawaiian print shirts and the people in my section say, :That a nice solid colored shirt you're wearing."

Hello...........is this thing on?

• Like 1

The people are so drunk that I wear one of my classic Hawaiian print shirts and the people in my section say, :That a nice solid colored shirt you're wearing."

Hello...........is this thing on?

and I'm in your section this year

• Like 1

Oh, I was speaking about after Annapolis..people talking about Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, etc...sorry I wasn't clear.

Got it, Mike ... and I concur ...

:-)

Yeah... but at 10 cents a beer, they'd be really good drunks! :lol:

Yeah... but at 10 cents a beer, they'd be really good drunks! :lol:

Y'know, other than Mr. Haring touting 10 cent beer, through all of this discussion I've never actually seen a number.

How much will it cost to put on the DCA weekend? Maybe Tom Peashey, without disclosing any proprietary information of course, can give us a round number of what it would take to sponsor the DCA weekend.

This is a serious question.

• Like 1

DCA Vice President Allen Buell announced this week that DCA will be accepting bids for the 2014, 2015 DCA World Championships. The DCA Championship presents not only a great time for drum corps fans and performers, but also is one of the largest conventions of its type each year. With several thousand participants and many [...]

... Read the rest of the article here - http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/2012/03/dca-accepting-bids-for-2014-2015-world-championships/

I know there was problems in the past but is Hershey out of the question....