DCA Accepting Bids For 2014, 2015 World Championships

Why would housing be needed? The DCA corps usually stay in hotels, the only need for schools that I could see would be for rehearsal needs.

Why would housing be needed? The DCA corps usually stay in hotels, the only need for schools that I could see would be for rehearsal needs.

some corps sell their hotel rooms out and stay at the schools, butyou also need rehearsal facilities, and that's getting harder to come by. you figure 20+ competing corps, plus alumni....thats tricky

• Like 2

Between 1950 and 1980 in "Senior" / "All Age", Drum Corps there were National Championships ALL Over the USA. Coast to Coast. The Hawthorne Cab's did indeed go to, and win the Most. But Rochester Crusaders, CT Hurricanes, Reilly Raiders, Yankee Rebels, NYC Skyliners, and yes the Reading Bucaneers. Went to, and Won many also.

Run by the American Legion & VFW, these Contests did not depend so much on getting Fans in the seats. (Although many were very large.)Here is an Interesting list of Years-Winners. (of the years I could find for 30 years. lest we forget)

American Legion ------------------------------------- <<<>>> ------------- V.F.W.

1950 - Los Angeles, Calif --- NYC Skyliners

1951 - Miami, Fla ------------- Hawt. Caballeros <<<>>> 1951 - NYC - Reilly Raiders

1952 - NYC, NY --------------- Reilly Raiders

1953 - St. Louis,MO ---------- Haw. Caballeros

1954 - Washington,DC ------ Haw. Caballeros

1955 - Miami, Fla ------------- Skokie Indians

1957 - Atlantic City, NJ ------ Skokie Indians <<<>>> 1957 - Miami - Reilly Raiders

1958 - Chicago, Ill ------------ Haw. Caballeros <<<>>> 1958 - NYC - Reilly Raiders

1959 - Minneapolice,MN ---- Haw. Caballeros <<<>>> 1959 - Los Angeles - R. Raiders

1960 - Miami, Fla ------------- Haw. Caballeros <<<>>> 1960 - Detroit - Reading Buc's

1961 - Denver,CO ------------ Haw. Caballeros <<<>>> 1961 - Miami - Reading Buc's

1962 - Los Vegas,NV -------- Haw. Caballeros <<<>>> 1962 - Minneapolice. R. Buc's

1963 - Miami, Fla ------------- Haw. Caballeros

1964 - Dallas, TX ------------- Haw. Caballeros

1965 - Portland, OR --------- Rochester Crusaders

1966 - Washington, DC ---- Haw. Caballeros

1967 - Boston, Mass -------- CT Hurricanes

1968 - New Orleans, LA ---- Long Island Sunrisers

1969 - Atlanta, GA ----------- Yankee Rebels

1971 - Houston, TX ---------- Yankee Rebels

1972 - Chicago, Ill ------------ Rochester Crusaders

1974 - Miami, Fla ------------- Haw. Caballeros

1975 - Minneapolis, MN ---- Haw. Caballeros

1980 - Boston, Mass -------- Haw. Caballeros

Now however. The DCA CHAMPIONSHIPS need to be where they can get/make the most money they can. I will say A BIG "THANK YOU" the Minnesota Brass. By god, they take a long trip each year "besides" going to the Championships. I think as Many of the other (at least) TOP 5. If at all possible should do the same. (and lets not for get to mention CorpsVets - Sun Devils and more from the South that did many regular season shows in the NE, and Shen. Sound going to Florida)

But to all of you outside the NE. Don't make it sound like we NEVER left our area every year.

Edited by 2B or not 2B
  • Like 2

Between 1950 and 1980 in "Senior" / "All Age", Drum Corps there were National Championships ALL Over the USA. Coast to Coast. The Hawthorne Cab's did indeed go to, and win the Most. But Rochester Crusaders, CT Hurricanes, Reilly Raiders, Yankee Rebels, NYC Skyliners, and yes the Reading Bucaneers. Went to, and Won many also.

Run by the American Legion & VFW, these Contests did not depend so much on getting Fans in the seats. (Although many were very large.)Here is an Interesting list of Years-Winners. (of the years I could find for 30 years. lest we forget)

American Legion ------------------------------------- <<<>>> ------------- V.F.W.

1950 - Los Angeles, Calif --- NYC Skyliners

1951 - Miami, Fla ------------- Hawt. Caballeros <<<>>> 1951 - NYC - Reilly Raiders

1952 - NYC, NY --------------- Reilly Raiders

1953 - St. Louis,MO ---------- Haw. Caballeros

1954 - Washington,DC ------ Haw. Caballeros

1955 - Miami, Fla ------------- Skokie Indians

1957 - ----------------------------?---------------------- <<<>>> 1957 - Miami - Reilly Raiders

1958 - Chicago, Ill ------------ Haw. Caballeros <<<>>> 1958 - NYC - Reilly Raiders

1959 - Minneapolice,MN ---- Haw. Caballeros <<<>>> 1959 - Los Angeles - R. Raiders

1960 - Miami, Fla ------------- Haw. Caballeros <<<>>> 1960 - Detroit - Reading Buc's

1961 - Denver,CO ------------ Haw. Caballeros <<<>>> 1961 - Miami - Reading Buc's

1962 - Los Vegas,NV -------- Haw. Caballeros <<<>>> 1962 - Minneapolice. R. Buc's

1963 - Miami, Fla ------------- Haw. Caballeros

1964 - Dallas, TX ------------- Haw. Caballeros

1965 - Portland, OR --------- Rochester Crusaders

1966 - Washington, DC ---- Haw. Caballeros

1967 - Boston, Mass -------- CT Hurricanes

1968 - New Orleans, LA ---- Long Island Sunrisers

1969 - Atlanta, GA ----------- Yankee Rebels

1971 - Houston, TX ---------- Yankee Rebels

1972 - Chicago, Ill ------------ Rochester Crusaders

1974 - Miami, Fla ------------- Haw. Caballeros

1975 - Minneapolis, MN ---- Haw. Caballeros

1980 - Boston, Mass -------- Haw. Caballeros

Now however. The DCA CHAMPIONSHIPS need to be where they can get/make the most money they can. I will say A BIG "THANK YOU" the Minnesota Brass. By god, they take a long trip each year "besides" going to the Championships. I think as Many of the other (at least) TOP 5. If at all possible should do the same. (and lets not for get to mention CorpsVets - Sun Devils and more from the South that did many regular season shows in the NE, and Shen. Sound going to Florida)

But to all of you outside the NE. Don't make it sound like we NEVER left our area every year.

:ph34r:

Thanks for bringing this point up...I can recall some of those shows myself..

My point in contrast is with the exception of a rarity since that '72 show in Chicago, a majoity of those excursions were 'sponsored' trips, with I suspect a large portion of the costs being covered by the Legion posts and Departments' funds set aside for the National Conventions.

Now I will admit that members had to shell out extra dough and time off for this type of trip, but in the days following the demise of those contests, most corps were able to find many more shows in 'their own back yard' not needing to expend large sums on travel expenses for long distances.

And since I started marching, and those 'National' Legion shows went away (and God bless 'Doc' Sebastianelli for resurrecting it)a group of Midwest die-hards in Minnesota and Wisconsin came up with a plan to try and get their corps into the 'National' fray with those giants out East. As fuel prices increased, you know the story..

All I remembered was WE CHOSE to follow this path, and as "dues" became more prevalent, and revenue streams changed so greatly for EVERYONE- a lot of us who believed in what we could offer as a product and to THE FANS - stuck it out, kept building the group, made those organizational adjustments and realized that IT WAS ALL PART OF THE EXPERIENCE.

It DOES seem that corps in the South have been doing it from the beginning, but a number of those groups have elements of the Midwest corps in the start-ups...as well as the NE'ers that moved or got jobs in those areas.

One day the big show will move outside the NE, but as Jeff and others have so eloquently posted - You need to build up the Regions..I can assure you that with the exception of the '99 show in Madison, and the Renegades coming to DeKalb in 2004, the last time you had more than 2 nationally ranked DCA corps on the same field was the '75 Legion show here in Minneapolis..on the same night as DCI in Philly..

Selling the product to drum corps fans out here needs one of those "Legendary" names they've only HEARD about..On a humorous note - not everyone will accept "old time" drum corps yarns from relics like me..and the young'ins who have continued the legacy..THEY HAVE TO SEE IT FOR REAL, NOT ON A DVD !!! :thumbup:

Sorry gang - old phart Midwest gripe rant over.. Now to put on the flame retardant suit.. :tongue:

Pat

BTW, 2B - 1970 Legion was in Portland, OR..won by the Yankee Rebels..MBI was 2nd, about 20+ points behind. :cool:

• Like 1

some corps sell their hotel rooms out and stay at the schools, butyou also need rehearsal facilities, and that's getting harder to come by. you figure 20+ competing corps, plus alumni....thats tricky

So why does this rate negative numbers? Heh, know one corps who stayed at a school and it wasn't that close.

As for the AL shows, the corps show was part of the AL Convention entertainment so big numbers from lot of audience members who probably never really followed Drum Corps. So of course totally different type of audience than what we are looking for today.

PS - 1978 AL New Orleans - Westshoremen 2nd Chicago Connection.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Because Geoff spoke as an individual, not as a DCA spokesperson.

The concept of Jim as a negative number is alien to me. :satisfied:

He beat me to 1979.

Ask Kris after I #### her off. She could come up with negative numbers... :devil:

Just no idea why pointing out not DCA corps use hotels is something to -1....

Ask Kris after I #### her off. She could come up with negative numbers... :devil:

Just no idea why pointing out not DCA corps use hotels is something to -1....

Seems like Kris has the same set of cards that my wife does. Whenever I would walk by she would hold up a card that said 5.7... 5.5... 5.9... (I even used to get a 6.0 every once in a while) Now she holds up cards that say -1.0... -2.0... -3.00

Oh well.....

• Like 2