What are some of the Major Things Crown Needs to do to take the 2012 W

I think you mean 2008.

Yep, good catch.

I remember seeing that show and reacting incredibly negatively to the closer. I get why homage is cool, but setting up homage to be the closing effect of your show to me screams, "WE HAVE NO IDENTITY AND NO IDEA HOW TO DESIGN THE SHOWS THAT WE ARE HOMAGE-ING!"

Then in 2009 they did the show that many people interpreted as being a daydream about what it's like to win, while working in signature Vanguard, Cavaliers, and Cadets tunes, which was pretty strange.

I don't really recall 2010, but 2011 was (in my opinion) a really high-level college band show. Excellent hornline, though.

• Like 2

Better drill design. Less body. Maybe a more 'serious' show??

ETA: And more of that awesome sound. :)

Edited by chaddyt
  • Like 1

Yep, good catch.

I remember seeing that show and reacting incredibly negatively to the closer. I get why homage is cool, but setting up homage to be the closing effect of your show to me screams, "WE HAVE NO IDENTITY AND NO IDEA HOW TO DESIGN THE SHOWS THAT WE ARE HOMAGE-ING!"

Then in 2009 they did the show that many people interpreted as being a daydream about what it's like to win, while working in signature Vanguard, Cavaliers, and Cadets tunes, which was pretty strange.

I don't really recall 2010, but 2011 was (in my opinion) a really high-level college band show. Excellent hornline, though.

2008 might have been pieces other corps have done- but all together like that? I thought it was great. A real "classical music" show. Probably my favorite of the 2008 season.

And 2009? Maybe I'm not jaded... but I see shows for what they are, by who they are. I didn't hear any other corps' identities in there.

I can't say I disagree much about 2011, however.

Last year it was clear that it was the Cadets championship to lose right out of the gate.

It wasn't clear to most people here! After Crown won the first show and Cavaliers the second show, with Cadets placing fourth and second, respectively, commenters on DCP put the season as likely to go to any of the final top four, and it was a nail-biter all the way: scanning corpsreps, it appears that by Allentown the Cavaliers had won the most shows, with Cadets second, and Blue Devils just edging out Crown. (This is total victories without regard to competition; I didn't check head-to-head.)

• Like 1

Because Crown is strong across the board in all areas, the winning edge is a matter of design. And....because it will be their first, (IMO) their design will need to be obviously superior. Simply said, they cannot win strictly on their performance level alone.

Having said that, I think they were on to something with "Triple Crown", which remains one of my all-time favorite DCI shows. CC is able to pull off amusing moments in a show better than most....somehow, for them, it just works. But amusing is a double edged sword, and I'm not sure how many titles have been won with a lot of amusing or lighthearted stuff in it....but I think it (done well) could be the thing that puts them over the top. I say, go for the funny bone!

• Like 1

What is opinion does is to confirm that Crown does indeed suffer from some design flaws and these are staff rather than member related. Thank you for at least some support.

Unfortunately, these " opinions " on Crown's inability to win " a Crown " being primarily staff and design related issues are unsupported by the facts. For example, One look at the performance and execution captions of Crown at Finals the last few years and it is clear that marchers likewise bear a lot of the responsibility as well. There are " design captions " in the scoring ( ie GE Visual ) and then there are the performance and execution captions ( ie percussion ) One look at the Finals captions scoring sheets itself at Finals and its pretty obvious that it is not so simple as to blame the Crown staff for the Corps inability to ( as of yet ) win a DCI Title. That said, I've enjoyed their shows the last few years a lot and because of that that they need no excuses for anything at all, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

What I find a bit ironic as far as the “band” comment is that Crown has many friends in New England among the old schoolers. The shows I attend have stands filled with the “drum corps has gone to hell in a hand basket crowd. “Most of us marched back in the CYO, Eastern Mass, Mayflower days, and the drum corps alums will let those of us from bands and drill teams know that we were second class citizens but since we’ve all packed on a few pounds and have gone gray or are balding, we’re equals now. I graduated high school in 1981 so I am a Key of G, traditional guard kind of guy though I do have an appreciation for some innovation. Now I’m going to take Boston Crusaders out of this comparison. Everyone in New England has rallied around BAC and they’ve made us proud. Anytime Madison appears they get an enthusiastic response, but an almost equally enthusiastic response goes to Crown. The comments from this crowd praise them for always moving and connecting with the crowd. Some have claimed there are two or three shows going on at the same time, specifically that the guard, while very good, does not always seem connected with the show. If this crowd recognizes Crown as a drum corps, they’re a drum corps.

Also, as an old schooler at heart, let’s keep in mind that instrumentation (Key of G bugles), marching techniques, color guards that mastered using specific equipment (flags, rifles, sabers), and carrying all equipment used were characteristics of drum corps. Competitive bands and drill teams mastered the marching and color guard techniques, the bands often had drum lines that could be competitive, but the major difference that neither had was instrumentation. Since most, if not all junior corps use three valve B-flat instruments, it has been argued that there are no drum corps today, an argument that usually gets nowhere fast. Unlike BD, Cavies, Cadets, SCV, and Phantom who have older traditions, most of Crown’s competitive history and all of its World Class history the front ensemble and less traditional color guards have been the rule and it has used B-flat rather than Key of G for most of its history. This is their tradition and by DCI standards, they are a drum corps.

Yep, good catch.

Nothing is wrong at all with entertainment and fun. But what do you mean by "great"? You seem to give the impression that most of Crown's current members are simply there for these purposes. Maybe they are, but if drum corps was solely about these attributes, then why have competition at all, judge shows, or hand out trophies? Furthermore, my don't most members who are now part of the Crown organization go to Pioneer or other corps that have little chance of winning a title. Again, the impression that you seem to give is that competitiveness is not a major part of the activity. In reality, it is.

In short we are looking at the same thing two different ways. To each their own.

I have a suggestion why not ask these questions of the Crown's Design Team? As an alumni of Crown I'm sure they would welcome your interest.

• Like 4

Yep, good catch.

actually, I'll take 08 and 09 over 10 and 11 anyday.

• Like 3