Move DCI to Santa Clara!

I don’t know how this thread became DCI should be held in the middle of anywhere. Using that logic, since it’s called world championships, shouldn’t finals be held in the middle of the world? The fact is if finals are held in the mid-west its closer to corps that reside in the mid-west, finals held in the east favors corps residing in the east. Same can be said when finals are held in the west. The problem is that finals have only been held in the west once in forty years! In sports the team with the best record gets home field advantage. Using that scenario the majority of finals should have been held somewhere near Concord!

I don’t know how this thread became DCI should be held in the middle of anywhere. Using that logic, since it’s called world championships, shouldn’t finals be held in the middle of the world? The fact is if finals are held in the mid-west its closer to corps that reside in the mid-west, finals held in the east favors corps residing in the east. Same can be said when finals are held in the west. The problem is that finals have only been held in the west once in forty years! In sports the team with the best record gets home field advantage. Using that scenario the majority of finals should have been held somewhere near Concord!

Then lets just have finals at Mars. Come, enjoy the glow of the gas flames, the breeze from the Bay, and the craters. No one would ever forget it.

• Like 4

1334187486[/url]' post='3131974']

Then lets just have finals at Mars. Come, enjoy the glow of the gas flames, the breeze from the Bay, and the craters. No one would ever forget it.

I agree, food can be served by Kinder's and drinks served by Legend's.

• Like 1

I don't know how this thread became DCI should be held in the middle of anywhere. Using that logic, since it's called world championships, shouldn't finals be held in the middle of the world? The fact is if finals are held in the mid-west its closer to corps that reside in the mid-west, finals held in the east favors corps residing in the east. Same can be said when finals are held in the west. The problem is that finals have only been held in the west once in forty years! In sports the team with the best record gets home field advantage. Using that scenario the majority of finals should have been held somewhere near Concord!

1. The reason people are talking about "middles" is because "middles" tend to lower overall costs.

2. The inverse is true. Winning => more profits => you can better afford to travel !!

Anyway it doesn't really matter where you start -- it's where you travel.

Here's the DCI tour: http://tinyurl.com/d8g54rh

Given that map, Indy doesn't look like such an unreasonable endpoint (especially when you consider who goes where).

(looking at the map a little more -- it looks like that site may have choked geocoding the list of show cities doesn't look complete at all).

(fixed the map up a bit)

Edited by corpsband

Don't forget the petro smell, and the need to bring blazing summer AND freezing winter clothes for the same day!!

• Like 2

When the new 49ers stadium is complete, DCI should move from Indy to Santa Clara. The weather will ALWAYS be good, and it's an outdoor stadium...

Can we move Santa Clara back to Santa Clara while we're at it?

Just sit back and watch the screaming if THAT ever happens....

"But I won't get to see SCV and BD this year!!! WAHHHHHHHH" (like you guys out west get to see everyone every year.... not)

oh and that's just the fans.

Hop would die. His Meadowlands show wouldn't do to hot. Not to mention the other little shows he has.

And we wouldn't see all the corps at Allentown. But wait.... that might make people more inclined to go to finals... hmmm

Meh.

I think it's about time for Cali to fall off the map anyway. So who gives a ####!

Hehe

hey i remember when Allentown meant you only saw corps from outside the area every other year.

if that meant a west coast finals, i'd be ok with it

Putting finals in a central location (even though it's NOT central for all of the corps) implies a financial component. The arguments for finals have always ended up with restating the distance the West coast corps have to travel every...single...year compared to corps who continually get shorter trips to finals due to where they're set.

But as others have pointed out, corps do not just take a trip to finals. They tour, sometimes from coast to coast.

And yes...I'll mention once in 40 years out west because it is highly unfair to have one region do all the heavy lifting to get to finals every year.

Geography is unfair. Any corps that is not centrally located is going to have to travel farther out of their way to join the tour, every year, no matter what.

Is this really about the economics for the corps, or is it about western fans wanting to see late season shows? What if finals stay in Indianapolis, but we reverse the tour so that weekend focus shows go in this order:

Minneapolis

Allentown

Atlanta

San Antonio

California

Denver

Finals

I know there will be questions about the practicality, but I would like to know if western fans would be happy enough with this idea to make it worth serious consideration.