Cavaliers 2012

Ah and the opera

Go on stage, while I’m nearly delirious?

I don’t know what I’m saying or what I’m doing!

And yet, chin up! I’ll try harder. Bah, you think you’re a man?

You are just a clown! on with the show, man,

And put on your white-face.

The people pay you and you must make them laugh.

And if harlequin should steal your columbine, laugh,

You’re pagliaccio, and the world will clap for you!

Turn into banter all your pain and sorrow,

And with your clowns’ face hide grief and distress...

I say bring back the face masks from Mad World!

Just a question, how does Mike McIntosh figure into the show and design? Is it mainly from a percussion perspective, or is it an overall concept position? Does he have any time in front of the line, or is that left to Tinkel and the percussion staff?

Both 2009 and 2007 weren't that good (at least, by Cavies standards). 2007, especially, should have been nowhere near 3rd place. Musically they were terrible (caveat: and also very, very young that year).

2007 is probably in my top 5 Cavaliers shows. I can't remember how they sounded live too well, but I know they sound pretty awesome on the finals mp3. I know that might not be saying much, but that is how the show lives on I guess. I think it was a good break from what the Cavaliers usually do with music.

• Like 1

2007 is probably in my top 5 Cavaliers shows. I can't remember how they sounded live too well, but I know they sound pretty awesome on the finals mp3. I know that might not be saying much, but that is how the show lives on I guess. I think it was a good break from what the Cavaliers usually do with music.

To each their own. All I can say is that, in person in Pasadena that evening, playing immediately after Phantom Regiment and immediately before The Cadets (both of whom had incredible horn lines that year), The Cavaliers' short-comings in brass were all the more evident.

To each their own. All I can say is that, in person in Pasadena that evening, playing immediately after Phantom Regiment and immediately before The Cadets (both of whom had incredible horn lines that year), The Cavaliers' short-comings in brass were all the more evident.

Truth.

The new Cavaliers brass concept yielded quick, powerful results. 2002 was set up perfectly, mostly because the show was considerably easier than 2001 (which was so hard visually, they couldn't really play it---and yes, I know they won). That adversity created excellence in 2002.

The problem with that concept was that it isn't sustainable. The longer that style continued, the more leakers (people who don't play during tough visual moments), the less power during the impacts (because it wasn't worked as extensively as say bd, pr, cadets), the more vets who hadn't developed good habits thru extreme diversity (ala 2001-2002), etc. It spiraled into a lot of pockets of sound and a not solid ensemble FF.

When I sat in front of that hornline last summer, I teared up. AWESOME hearing a real drum corps sound, with a Cavaliers style program again.

• Like 2

My god Cavaliers. You aren't doing a good job this year. The most controversial thing you can do is march 6 bass drums! tongue.gif

• Like 2

anyone go to the camp this past weekend? just curious on how they sound? hows the drill coming along? saw a page of drill on facebook...couldnt tell much.

I can tell you they picked up a lot of real drum corps studs with lots of experience from other top 12 corps this year. It was tough to make this corps this year. They should be really solid in all areas.

• Like 1

Well if they do what they have been doing the last few years I am sure I will enjoy it! I really love their drumline now days. Smokin!

I can tell you they picked up a lot of real drum corps studs with lots of experience from other top 12 corps this year. It was tough to make this corps this year. They should be really solid in all areas.

I am really anxious to see how the visual aspect of this corps will change with a new drill designer.