Carolina Crown 2012

Is this another rock themed show?

Just wondering......

They were dragging Saturday night and you could fell the low energy. Time-off well deserved!

Wow! I was at the Sat. runthru, and if that was low energy, then this show is really going to blow people away. Fanfare for the Common Man is everything you would expect it to be. I kinda figured it would play a part in the "pre-show" music, and it does, along with a nice bit of foreshadowing from the mellos.

The opening statement really gets your attention as the corps moves into some very intricate, fast moving drill. In fact, throughout, the opener, there are multiple spots where you would think you were watching the frenetic END of a Cadets or Cavaliers show, except, it doesn't feel derived. Some stuff that you think "Wow!, I don't think I've seen THAT before." The really cool thing is that the music is just as impressive! Runs and multiple tongueing galore (thru all instrument groups). Classic "Crown" impact moments. Solo/small ensemble stuff that is very exposed and very demanding. Music and drill are both a definite step up from anything I've seen from Crown. If they get this puppy clean, watch out!

Now what I saw didn't have any of the guard that particular night, and I am sure they will play a big part in some of the more "ethereal" moments that lead up to the full playing of FftCM. Really cool effects with the Bass Drums and Timpani. Video won't do it justice. You've got to see it in person to fully get the effect. I feel pretty confident that this will be one of THE moments of the summer! Nothing fancy, just great brass playing that builds, and builds, and builds and then finally pays off with what you KNOW is coming.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what the end of this thing looks like. I strongly encourage anyone who is able to come over to Gardner-Webb University in Boiling Springs NC on Sunday night for the Dress run-thru. Gates open at 7:00.

• Like 7

Love that Keith Emerson video. Thanks for posting that. I actually think this version of Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man would be cool. The original Emerson, Lake, and Palmer version is great stuff and I do think it can translate well to the field.

I am thinking this show could be enhanced with some voice over quotes. The British guy in the trailer has a very "epic" voice. It would be cool if they used him at some points in the show to add some dramatic phrases or words before large hits... I like the trailer.

Love that Keith Emerson video. Thanks for posting that. I actually think this version of Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man would be cool. The original Emerson, Lake, and Palmer version is great stuff and I do think it can translate well to the field.

Agree that the ELP version is awesome (as is ELP in general) but Crown seems to be sticking to the 3rd Symphony as far as the Copland is concerned.

I am thinking this show could be enhanced with some voice over quotes. The British guy in the trailer has a very "epic" voice. It would be cool if they used him at some points in the show to add some dramatic phrases or words before large hits... I like the trailer.

Haven't heard anything about voice-overs at all. Interesting idea though.

I'm really liking what I hear, regardless of how they place, sounds like it could be their new landmark show. It's only preseason though, who knows. :P

Concur. The show is already exciting in it's raw form -- just straight up music and drill. Gonna be fun to see where it goes from here!

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 3

Agree that the ELP version is awesome (as is ELP in general) but Crown seems to be sticking to the 3rd Symphony as far as the Copland is concerned.

Haven't heard anything about voice-overs at all. Interesting idea though.

Concur. The show is already exciting in it's raw form -- just straight up music and drill. Gonna be fun to see where it goes from here!

Agreed!

• Like 4