Best Max Volume Brass Sounds

I get that their fortissimo was the EQUIVALENT of everyone elses MF. That said, the ensemble determines their FF, not the other ensembles.

Their FF was the best max volume sound in the history of drum corps. No DOUBT that it sounded so good because they were playing softer than everyone else that way the characteristic sounds of the instruments could come thru.

Very much like a brass band, in that aspect.

I'd also like to repeat, the author said BEST max volume sound, not loudest.

I take issue with what you think an instrument should sound like at maximum volume. Brass instruments have differing tendencies at varying volume levels. If indeed they wanted to sound the same with minimal dynamic levels while keeping the said instrumentation sounding "the same" the yes they achieved their goal. Now, if we want more color and "music" to be played that is another story.

I get that their fortissimo was the EQUIVALENT of everyone elses MF. That said, the ensemble determines their FF, not the other ensembles.

Their FF was the best max volume sound in the history of drum corps. No DOUBT that it sounded so good because they were playing softer than everyone else that way the characteristic sounds of the instruments could come thru.

So.....FF is relative? Versus something that can be quantitativly measured?

I guess I thought FF was not a relative concept. As a piano player, I always thought that fortissimo is an absolute, not dependent on the piece of music you're playing.

So, I guess I'll disagree with you on this one. Cavaliers shows being discussed didn't play at "max volume," and apparently that worked out very, very well for them. But in the context of this thread...I don't think they enter the conversation.

I guess I thought FF was not a relative concept. As a piano player, I always thought that fortissimo is an absolute, not dependent on the piece of music you're playing.

So, I guess I'll disagree with you on this one. Cavaliers shows being discussed didn't play at "max volume," and apparently that worked out very, very well for them. But in the context of this thread...I don't think they enter the conversation.

Agreed. Cavaliers chose to not play max volume for what they deemed to be the best quality sound. That's fine if they want to do that, but it also disqualifies them from this discussion.

If I look at the 70's horn lines, Madison Scouts is my first choice. The "men from Madison" knew how to use their horn lines to swoon a crowd better than anyone and often did it with sheer power and volume. A seventies list would be incomplete without Spirit of Atlanta. "Let It be Me" is one of my favorite moments and while 79 was more polished, my preference for volume is 78. I'd also have to give a nod to the Bridgemen of 79 and 80. It's interesting, I don't remember their horn line being a powerhouse back in the day, probably because we were more interested in what was happening on the field, but they are well served by recordings.

Throughout the 80's and into the 90's, Madison still did the job, though I have to give a nod to two, in my opinion, amazing brass shows: 96 Phantom and 89 SCV.

For 2000 and on, I can't say for certain. I am impressed with brass techniques and I love the look of the larger horn lines, but volume and power are not priorities which I see as more of a style difference than a shortcoming, and given many of the musical selections, sheer power and volume would be out of place. I did see a bit of a comeback in this regard last season and would have to give my favorite three favorites to Crown, Phantom, and a corps that doesn't seem to have made the lists yet, my hometown heroes Boston Crusaders. Actually BAC should be on my 70's list. Their horn line could pack a punch!

Crown 2010 Mahler 2. Now THAT was awesome!

OK, I'll buy that. As long as its recognized that they really didn't play very loud that year. Great hornline. One of the purest sounds in drum corps history. Pristine. But not loud. I personally think that the argument that "max volume" means max for them and not loud is a bit of a stretch. But I'll buy your argument.

The only way that hornline could "get away" with playing that volume all summer was because their show was so awesome and the effect was largely visually driven. They literally did not have to play loud to generate effect. It takes a special show to pull that off.

I think the cavaliers were/are just a little more conservative on how many "loud" moments they had in the show.

Im not sure the years everyone is talking about. 08 wasnt the loudest, and 09's brassline probably deserved lower than 5th, in my opinion, but you cant say the groove in 03 wasn't loud. That goes along with Welcome to Cuba in 04.

I think a lot of it is writing. Go back and look at the last note of the Cavaliers year after year, and then do the same with Crown. Cavaliers typically run until the last 8-16 counts or so, when they sustain.

Crown, and many other corps, typically hold the last note for a much longer time while standing still. They also have many long, full out sections, whereas the Cavaliers typically play mf-f sections and conclude with a quick FF note.

Edited by TheClutch

Being that you can only really judge this from shows seen live, I have to say 2007 Cadets. Saw them three times that year, and depending on where you were sitting, there were times in their show it physically started to hurt.

In a good way of course.

• Like 2