How Can DCI and Corps Engage us Next Couple Weeks?

For the last 10 years Phantom Regiment has had a member 'volunteer' to write a journal/diary of day to day life on the road.

Here's a link to all the past posts: http://www.regiment.org/memoirs.cfm

I'm sure someone will have that job again this year!

It's great to hear about the sites and sounds of the tour AND you can post a comment back and give them support.

During touring season, reading the newest posting is the first thing I do when I get up in the morning.

I know dci.org posts corps updates on their site...but a lot of stuff is posted elsewhere.

dci.org should be the 'go to place' for corps updates (A repository).

Cant say i would be able to check 20+ individual corps sites for news/info all the time....brutal

• Like 1

Yeah....a good concept. The original countdown was in April. Perfect little dc fix....

Thats a good point.... they were in April If I recall. Maybe DCI might want to consider doing something in the theatres in April again. Maybe the problem might be that the initial theatre shows were classic performance shows and doing something in April with current shows would have to consider the fact that they'd be mostlly instuctional in nature. But thats ok by me. Maybe DCI could consider doing a national theatre show in the offseason of a sweep of inside looks at Corps camps from around the nation, either live or taped. It might prove to be very instructional to the young that might be contemplating doing DCI Corps but are hesitant because they just need more info as to what camps, training, etc look and feel like. Maybe the staff could be interviewed during camps as to what they are looking for in prospective campers, and we get to hear and watch the sectionals.As a " hook " to get people to show up at the theatre than just camps footage,, DCI might at the end play the Finals performance of the winning Corps, or a highlight reel of the Corps shown for the first time of Finals performances. Or something else along these lines. DCI really needs to think about doing something in the offseason for fans, imo. Right now its pretty much zip between Labor Day and Memorial Day.

Edited by BRASSO

I'm no fan of George Hopkins. That said, kudos to him in providing Drum Corps fans up top date info on the Cadets the entire off season which he's done for a few years now. Releasing info on the Cadets early and often certainly has not hurt his Corps competitively ( nor financially), as they won the DCI Title last season. I see no bonafide reason for an activity crying out for better PR and preseason promotion to have such unneccessary secrecy at these levels mb most of these DCI Corps. Oh well, we're almost to the start of the season now and its been said before by many others on here re. such low levels on information from the Corps.

George loves talk bad or good he really doesnt care as long as you talk BUT, just maybe Corps aren't putting much out for a few reasons...1. maybe going back to the days of a surprise, running to see your favorite corps because you DONT know whats going to happen. 2. just maybe corps dont want to put info out because some like to critique a show up down and sideways before or ever seeing it from color choices , music selection,plume size, etc etc....imagine that..lol....not judging...just a thought.

Edited by GUARDLING

George loves talk bad or good he really doesnt care as long as you talk BUT, just maybe Corps aren't putting much out for a few reasons...1. maybe going back to the days of a surprise, running to see your favorite corps because you DONT know whats going to happen. 2. just maybe corps dont want to put info out because some like to critique a show up down and sideways before or ever seeing it from color choices , music selection,plume size, etc etc....imagine that..lol....not judging...just a thought.

or, they are still waiting for rights

or, they are still waiting for rights

Is this still even a realistic possibility three weeks before the first competition?? What happens if they don't get the rights in the next three weeks - will they start canceling appearances at competitions? What possibly can be a backup plan with three weeks to go?

Sorry, I'm not buying it. If it takes this long to get rights, then you either had incredibly poor organizational skills and didn't start nearly early enough planning your show, or you should have chosen rep that would have gotten approved quicker than 9-10 months. That just seems totally unrealistic to me.

Drum Corps never had this issue 10-15 years ago - DCI Today always had their preview issue that got snail-mailed to you with the shows in it a few months before the season started. Were rights so much easier to get back then?? Then all of a sudden, a few years back, Blue Devils made not releasing a stitch of info about your show the "cool" thing to do. Now everyone's doing it (except Cadets and a small few others)...

Edited by Quad Aces

Is this still even a realistic possibility three weeks before the first competition?? What happens if they don't get the rights in the next three weeks - will they start canceling appearances at competitions? What possibly can be a backup plan with three weeks to go?

Sorry, I'm not buying it. If it takes this long to get rights, then you either had incredibly poor organizational skills and didn't start nearly early enough planning your show, or you should have chosen rep that would have gotten approved quicker than 9-10 months. That just seems totally unrealistic to me.

Drum Corps never had this issue 10-15 years ago - DCI Today always had their preview issue that got snail-mailed to you with the shows in it a few months before the season started. Were rights so much easier to get back then?? Then all of a sudden, a few years back, Blue Devils made not releasing a stitch of info about your show until the beginning of May the "cool" thing to do. Now everyone's doing it (except Cadets and a small few others)...

There are different types of rights that have to be purchased. The corps gets the rights to arrange and perform the music, which is not the same as the rights to record the music for, say, a video production...there have been a few instances recently where certain parts shows were not able to be included on the DVD's.

There are different types of rights that have to be purchased. The corps gets the rights to arrange and perform the music, which is not the same as the rights to record the music for, say, a video production...there have been a few instances recently where certain parts shows were not able to be included on the DVD's.

Agreed. In 2010 my corps found out we got the rights for one of our movements less than a week before championships. I'm no expert on the topic but I would guess that piracy and YouTube galvanized more stringent rules regarding music use.

I don't know about those reasons for not putting out information... Your suggesting that corps actually promote an information-less agenda in this information age? That corps purposely don't give out information to "promote" some kind of nostalgic idea? That by not being part of the conversation they will find more people donating to their organization, buying more souvies, and gaining more money to promote the activity? Not happening. Why would corps even think twice about catering to people who don't want information!?

I am under the impression that those that don't want the information to just ignore it. And all of us are on DCP, you included, because you want something to talk about. You want information about drum corps and discuss it with others.

What I'm saying is the supposed reasons you suggested for corps that don't release information is totally ignorant and terrible for the activity in this day and age. Get info out there and keep it coming often.

Main reason for lack of info or fan interaction is most likely not enough money, not enough time or staff to plan, or admin issues.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1