Cadets2 Performance

I didn't say you were slamming C2. I was saying that people come across as if they are defending their favorite corps against C2 which I don't think there is need to do that and you know that's true.

your post came across like that with the random comparison to an established champion corps.

always keepin it real eh?

Just shows, gotta read what's there, not reading into what's there.

Oh my favorite corps hasn't competed for 11 years.

Oh my favorite corps hasn't competed for 11 years.

I counted 6-8 corps I really enjoyed over the years for various reasons (horn line, rival, friends in the corps, THAT reason, etc, etc) and none are competing anymore.

Anyone wonder why I'm happy for another corps in DCA and could give a rats hindquarter on if an how it shakes up (yeah right) the other corps. I'm surprised we still HAVE 'other' corps competing....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Why are you worrying about how good/bad they are compared to Bucs? Doesn't seem to matter to me... They are a brand new drum corps and it seems like people are finding Cadets2 more "acceptable" to them (you included) if they see stuff that shows a "weakness" like comparing them to the caliber of a world champion in the beginning of their inaugural season or seeing stuff posted like "C2 looking for baritones".

C2 was never a bully, never said anything, so don't see why people need to defend their favorite corps against them by reading into the implications of such things...

This isn't a schoolyard fight so I don't see how being a bully or not comes in to play. I also don't have a favorite corps so i don't have one to defend.

Look.. I'm excited to see what the introduction of C2 will do for DCA in the coming years as programs adapt and change. It's an exiting time to be apart of DCA. The corps are putting out shows with more velocity and musicality. There is more execution and demand. It's a time of great change. I welcome a corps that is going to push that change even more.

I will also admit that.. yes, it does give me a little more satisfaction that C2 is going through the same challenges that other corps in DCA face. While I welcome their participation, I would not be a fan of having them 20 point the other corps at every show because they are at a level the other open class corps will take years to get to. Yes, its the responsibility for each corps to manage their own program and make adjustments where needed to stay competitive, but it's also not an easy fix to just say... "well, you should do better." Many corps are just finally getting around to adapting their program to get to the level that Bucs, and now MBI are at. I fully expected C2 to be at a level EVEN HIGHER. So yes, seeing them back down to the level that everyone else is in, to me, is refreshing. As long as everyone has a fair shot... I'm loving it. But when one corps has an unfair advantage, it takes the fun out of it for me. I'm not going to debate what those unfair advantages are because we've gone over that already many times. But I do believe that C2 has some advantages. They are also counter balanced by some short comings.

There is a lot of enjoyment for us fans seeing corps compete during the season. While I completely applaud what Bucs have done for the better part of the last 10 years, I was very excited for MBI when they knocked Bucs off their seat in Prelims. It's more fun to see any corps have a chance to win at any given show than it is to see the same predictable outcome every weekend.

So I'm a mixed bag. I look at both sides of the coin and have mixed feelings.

Edited by irishbugle
  • Like 1

I will also admit that.. yes, it does give me a little more satisfaction that C2 is going through the same challenges that other corps in DCA face. While I welcome their participation, I would not be a fan of having them 20 point the other corps at every show because they are at a level the other open class corps will take years to get to.

So I'm a mixed bag. I look at both sides of the coin and have mixed feelings.

Right... so you can see how being relieved that a corps has holes, needs baritones, has similar struggles to other corps can come across as not being positive to the corps. I understand your point of view of a corps 20 pointing another corps every show... but we shouldn't be relieved when ANY corps faces those struggles/predicaments. is the message you want to send to a brand new corps that "we will accept you only if you aren't better than anyone else"? That's not right.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

Hmmm...that tells me that the C2 admin probably hopes you personally HATE them! :tongue::tongue::tongue:

:spitting:

• Like 1

Right... so you can see how being relieved that a corps has holes, needs baritones, has similar struggles to other corps can across as not being positive to the corps. I understand your point of view of a corps 20 pointing another corps every show... but we shouldn't be relieved when ANY corps faces those struggles/predicaments. is the message you want to send to a brand new corps that "we will accept you only if you aren't better than anyone else"? That's not right.

It's all a matter of how you look at it. The health of the activity, competitive parity, entertainment, favoritism... they are many different views.

I don't always agree with Jeff, but I will here. I think your trying to look too deep into something. I'm not sending any message. I don't represent DCA, a drum corps, or the fan base. I am one person with one opinion. There is no "we" here.

I think DCA has sent a very clear "Welcome, please join us, we're glad to have you" message which is great. I'm glad to have them too. I don't mind if they do better than everyone else. I do mind, if they do so much better they take the fun out of it and the scope of the activity is lost.

This is the way I relate it. I'm not a fan of Nascar, but if I was, I wouldn't like it if one team had a jet engine. Right or wrong, that's the way I see it. Or, saw it..

• Like 1

Right... so you can see how being relieved that a corps has holes, needs baritones, has similar struggles to other corps can come across as not being positive to the corps. I understand your point of view of a corps 20 pointing another corps every show... but we shouldn't be relieved when ANY corps faces those struggles/predicaments. is the message you want to send to a brand new corps that "we will accept you only if you aren't better than anyone else"? That's not right.

not that I am defending the POV I am about to type, but let's keep it real...

The Cadet name, and all of it's Hopkins connotations, is not a welcome name to many drum corps fans. To some, he is god and can do no wrong. to some, he is evil incarnate. to many he's some of both.

Is it stupid that anyone would root against a new corps trying to start up in these trying times? That is the $300,000 question. I know my answer, which matches yours. But given Hops reputation and penchant for controversy, I can see why people would have issues with the corps. Note...I didn't say I agree, just why people would.

It's all a matter of how you look at it. The health of the activity, competitive parity, entertainment, favoritism... they are many different views.

I don't always agree with Jeff, but I will here. I think your trying to look too deep into something. I'm not sending any message. I don't represent DCA, a drum corps, or the fan base. I am one person with one opinion. There is no "we" here.

I think DCA has sent a very clear "Welcome, please join us, we're glad to have you" message which is great. I'm glad to have them too. I don't mind if they do better than everyone else. I do mind, if they do so much better they take the fun out of it and the scope of the activity is lost.

This is the way I relate it. I'm not a fan of Nascar, but if I was, I wouldn't like it if one team had a jet engine. Right or wrong, that's the way I see it. Or, saw it..

that's keeping it real

• Like 1

Why are you worrying about how good/bad they are compared to Bucs? Doesn't seem to matter to me... They are a brand new drum corps and it seems like people are finding Cadets2 more "acceptable" to them (you included) if they see stuff that shows a "weakness" like comparing them to the caliber of a world champion in the beginning of their inaugural season or seeing stuff posted like "C2 looking for baritones".

C2 was never a bully, never said anything, so don't see why people need to defend their favorite corps against them by reading into the implications of such things...

I think people were/are worried about them dominating DCA because of where they came from. Not going to lie, I too had that thought when I first heard about C2. I think people are just now realizing that they wont be a "DCI Corps" in DCA and are relieved that they are comparable to everyone else.

Edited by skeptic
  • Like 1